“Better than I expected”
Review of The Brig - CLOSED

The Brig
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Brig Restaurant & Bar is a wonderful place to stop and enjoy a warm and welcoming atmosphere with quality food. Here you can enjoy a meal or just relax with a coffee and watch the world go by. The Brig is the first restaurant as you enter Edinburgh from the Forth Road Bridge on the A90 heading south, located on the East side of Queensferry Road, Edinburgh. A convenient stop for business or pleasure with complimentary Wi-Fi available for our clients. Ample free parking is readily available on the premises. The restaurant’s name derives from its location in the north-west corner of the city at the mouth of the River Almond where it enters the Firth of Forth. The connection to the river permeates throughout the business, from the architectural details to the wine list! The Brig has attracted a loyal clientèle drawn to the superb food, fine wines & beers and the hospitality of its staff. The Brig Restaurant and Bar is passionate about its work and its associations not only with quality local food producers and suppliers but also with the wider local communities of Barnton & Cramond.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Having read the reviews I really wasn't expecting much from this revamped pub so I was pleasantly surprised. The update is very clean and appealing. The staff were very attentive and the service was good. There is a wide choice on the menu. The food itself received mixed reviews from my friends. 2 people had the Fajitas. The portion was large and poorly presented. The size of the wraps was too big to enable ease of making the fajita itself. 1 person had the beef cheeks thought they were quite tasty but wouldn't order them again. 1 person had the fish with poached egg and cheese sauce and enjoyed it. I had the chicken linguine again a large portion. The chicken seemed like it was the same as in the fajitas and for me didn't quite work. The other person had the corn fed chicken and seemed to enjoy it. The bill for 5 starters, 6 mains, 3 puddings. 3 cups of tea, 2 bottles of wine, 4 soft drinks and 2 beers was £168. So with tip that was £30 per head. Have eaten better for that price elsewhere in Edinburgh.
Will I be rushing back No.

1  Thank Myra H

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I arrived with my fiancée on a semi-empty restaurant and first things first they move us to the near the W.C.
We ordered some fish (under seasoned) and a burger that had quite a lot of chilli (they did not mention that on the menu). Service was quite slow given that they hardly had any people on the restaurant.
After we finish those dishes they leaved the table semi-cleaned (that was true till we leaved the place)

Afterwards we ordered the desserts and two coffees.
The coffees arrived without sugar and they never give us any!

But that was not the worst part. The desserts were awful.
One of them a lemon tart that smelled like it was made one week in advance, and a "home made" jelly that had a rotten strawberry and a tiny raspberry also rotten on top. As decoration I guess.

Terrible service and expensive as well. We will no come back.

10  Thank Rafael B
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Went here for a quick lunch after a long walk. We went for the Haggis as it looked great. Took a while to arrive and tasted great (even if on small side) but was just about luke warm. Really disappointing. Such a shame. It can't be that hard to serve food warm and looking at the other reviews it is a common theme. Nice decor, well presented, staff OK (even if they told my friends about a special that had already run out) but just need to focus on the BASICS. Pretty average all round.

2  Thank abster_c
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Ate here for dinner on a Saturday. Service was really slow, food took ages to arrive and when it did, they apologised because there had been a mix up- could have let us know earlier. Food was undercooked and not properly hot. Pudding was disappointing. Overall not a good experience, won't be going back in a hurry.

8  Thank A M
Reviewed November 17, 2013

First impressions of the Brig, very stylish and a nice aura about it. Visited with family who have been before and I have to say wasn't disappointed. There were 8 of us in total and we were seated in the Almond Lounge with plenty of room. Waitress very good, drinks ordered and at table quickly. After putting in food orders the waitress came to ask if we would like my daughters food brought before everyone else being as she was the youngest (7) and save her waiting-a nice gesture in my opinion. The rest of the food came no more than 5 minutes after and we were not disappointed. Everything was piping hot and tasted divine, no complaints from anyone. The food was so good we all had puddings as well which were wonderful, especially the dark chocolate tart! Good choice of beers and wines (although tad pricey!)
All in all, food very good value for money and next time back in Edinburgh visiting family wouldn't hesitate to go back.