“Good coffee, traditional Italian cafe”
Review of Martone

Martone
Ranked #7 of 61 Dessert in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Scotland....You KNOW you want to come here!
“Good coffee, traditional Italian cafe”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

A decent stop for a quick Italian bean espresso, or breakfast. Complete with Italian radio station. Good location just off the end of Princes Street. Attentive staff and decent value. Probably not the best for those with walking difficulties, it is a hike to the loo, involving many steps, but that apart, it is a regular and welcome stop any time I am here.

• Visited May 2013
CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Martone, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
I am pleased to hear you enjoy your visits to Martone! Thank you for your feedback & we hope to continue to see you in the future!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Functional light lunch”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I met a friend who was at a meeting in Edinburgh on a wet wet day and we took refuge at Martone.
We both chose the bacon/walnut/ apple/blue cheese salad ( it did have a fancy Italian name but I forget what it was). Our salads arrived promptly and were perfectly acceptable. We only had coffee afterwards. I could see a huge range of ice creams which looked inviting but we didn't have time to linger over lunch.
Service was efficient and friendly and the prices reasonable. Many tables were taken on that wet Friday lunch time and other people's orders looked appetizing.
I would say that Martone is a good place for an informal fuss-free quick lunch if you happen to be in Edinburgh town centre, you cross the road and you are in St James shopping centre.

• Visited May 2013
CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Martone, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Martone. Thank you for your feedback & we hope to see you again in the future (hopefully you can sample our ice cream!)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“They have no respect for people”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A couple of weeks ago, I was on my way home from work and, as usual, the corner where Martone stands was very busy. There were many people, and in order to let some ppl cross the street, I push myself to the side. By doing so I accidentally touched the wall of the restaurant with my right arm.

Nothing special on a normal day, but that day Martone just re-painted the walls. No need to say that my jacket was completely full of wet paint. I run inside to put a lot of water on it and try to clean the paint off. My attempt was unfortunately unsuccessful. I than talked to one of the waiters and point out that they should have put some signs letting ppl know about the wet paint.

She didn't know what to do and she than tried calling the owner. Unfortunately, he didn't pick up. She then asked for my phone number, promising they would have called me back and to discuss about my damage. That night they didn't call and therefore I went back there the day after and the one after that again. However, the owner was never there and he never called me back. The waiter on the third day told me she talked with the manager and she left him my number, but he didn't have the curtesy of calling me either.

They obviously made a mistake by not highlighting the wet paint and they understood it, because a couple of days after the accident, they re-painted the walls (multiple layers I guess), but this time they put the signs as I suggest them to do.

Nevertheless, none of them had the courtesy to call me and ask about my jacket. Luckily, the same night of the accident I run to a dry-cleaner that was still opened and I asked them to clean my jacket. I paid for it, but my jacket is now clean. In spite of this, I am very disappointed by the behavior of this place. They lost one customer (I visit it sometimes) and I will negatively recommend this place to everybody!

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank dmodolo
NE ENGLAND
“ice cream to die for”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

excellent. the ice cream and sweets were just to die for .would go back if my waistline can stand it!!

Visited April 2013
CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Martone, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Martone. We are very proud of our homemade ice cream & hope you will visit again in the future!
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
“Evening meal”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were welcomed and served quickly in this busy spotlessly clean restaraunt. We had the 2 course special menu and both enjoyed our meal. The waitress who served us took the time to have a chat inbetween serving and made us feel relaxed. Would visit again.

• Visited April 2013
CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Martone, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Martone. Thank you for your feedback & we hope to see you again in the future!