“Amazing Apartmetns”

Princes Street Suites
glasgow
“Amazing Apartmetns”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

A group of 6 of us where going to Edinburgh for a night for a friends 21st birthday, we had not read any reviews and didn't know what we were walking in to. We walked from the train station 5 minute walk. The second we walked through the main doors to reception we knew we had picked right place. The welcome we got was pleasant, the hallway was beautiful and opening the apartment doors was a big suprise to all of us. We couldn't believe the space and how elegant the apartment was. We got 3 bedroom.
I highly recommed this to everyone, I am going back with my partner just so I can show him how beautiful princess street apartments really is!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Greek first
Sunderland, UK
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Booked into an apartment at the Princes Street Suites for 2 nights to run the 2010 Edinburgh Marathon. Wanted an apartment rather than a hotel as, in my experience, they tend to be a little quieter and also we wouldn't have to go out the night before the race and could just chill in the living space, and also so we would have the facilities to make our own breakfast before the run. Rang up the day before we traveled and reception confirmed the booking without mentioning any issues.

Was surprised and disappointed then that upon arrival we were informed there was a 'problem' with our apartment and we had been moved to the Balmoral Hotel (which in fairness is pretty much next door) for the first night. The Manageress (I believe she was, but she didn't introduce herself as that), explained to us that the Balmoral was more expensive - but that they were willing to pay the difference, and we got the impression that we were supposed to be grateful for that. However, when we explained the reasons we had specifically booked an apartment rather than a hotel and also pointing out the inconvenience we would face shifting rooms we were offered a 50% discount on our second night which we felt went some way to at least compensating us.

The stay at the Balmoral was as I expected and the room (with the exception of the bathroom) was in my opinion a standard room with no frills and certainly not worth the money we had paid. There were no coffee/tea making facilities or iron in the room which is standard fare at most hotels these days never mind a 5* one.

The morning of the marathon we went back to the apartment for our second night only to be told by the desk staff (who had been sat next to the manageress when she had offered us the discount the previous day) that we were being charged full price. We pointed out the 50% discount that had been offered and, after a short discussion, he said he was prepared to give us a £20 discount as he hadn't heard a 50% discount being mentioned. After asking him to ring the manageress and check, which he did, he eventually apologised and offered us the agreed discount.

It has to be said the apartment itself was fantastic and easily exceeded expectation (in fact it just made it more disappointing that we had been stuck in the far inferior Balmoral the night before) . The living room was massive and well laid out and the location was perfect. My only complaints with the apartment itself were small things that could very easily be rectified. The top notch iPod dock needed a European power converter but, although you could hire one for £6, what's the point of paying the money to provide the dock for the apartment if the owners don't also provide the plug to be able to use it? Secondly, a few small items were provided in the fridge e.g. 2 x snicker bars, bottle of water, 2 x can's of diet coke and 3 or 4 small boxes of breakfast cereal. However all were at inflated prices - given they would have cost a fiver at most to buy and would often go untouched why not just say they are 'with compliments' when the customer is already paying a premium price to stay there?

In summary, fantastic apartments in a fantastic location but a few fundamental flaws would make me nervous about stopping there again. A real pity!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Stayed once in Jan with girlfriends and in Mar with hubby and friends. Jan stay was good, apartment was spacious, could have been cleaner and had an aroma of curry. It is within easy walking distance of major areas, good value for money. Sofa and cushions could have done with a freshen up/wash. Fire alarm at 09.30 am wasn’t fun but I suppose these things can’t be helped.
March stay was blighted by the fact that when I booked I mistakenly booked for Feb 11th and not March 11th, the receptionist called me at home at 10pm to ask if we were coming and when I told him I thought I had booked for March not Feb, he said I would still have to pay full whack despite the fact I re-booked for March and had stayed previously. There was no concession from the management maintaining that they lost revenue - my argument was that the apartment would not have required servicing as we had not used it - I received no reply.
We went and stayed in March, again I have stayed in cleaner places, but it was suitable for our requirements. The receptionist called me on the Friday night to make sure we were still coming and while we were waiting for our taxi on the Saturday night she said that would not have received a refund as they had to book another hotel room for guests.......at that the taxi came, so I never did get to the bottom of what she meant. All in all, I think they were a bit mean in offering no concession. I would stay here again purely for the convenience factor nothing else!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Leeds
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed in a 3 bed apartment as a party of 6. The rooms were quite spacious, very comortable and stylish and the living and dining area great. The location was perfect; only a few minutes walk from Waverley Train Station, 5-10 minutes walk to the Royal Mile and directly leading onto Princes Street. The rooms also had some nice views of the city but there were even better views over the city & Arthur's Seat from the roof terrace. If there are a few of you and you can get a good deal, as we did, it certainly works out cheaper than a 4*/5* hotel. The hotel is just round the corner from Calton Hill which is also a nice walk offering panoramic views over the city with interesting neo classical building and monuments.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
dundee
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Wonderful place, great prices if you chose the correct date. New allover and just 3 minutes walk from Waverly.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Spent two nights here in a spacious clean room. Near Playhouse theatre and cinema. St. James shopping centre only a few minutes away. We could hear the tannoy from Waverley station but it did not annoy us.
Double bed was in an alcove and we found the duvet very heavy and no choice ot other bedding. There was no top sheet on the bed. We had to ask for a bulb for the bedside light, cushions were slightly stained.
As the room was booked for two people we expected the toiletries to reflect this. There was only one small bottle each of shampoo, shower gel and body lotion which was not replenished throughout our stay. There was only face flannel and one shower cap as well as one robe.
The room was very warm even without the heating switched on.
However it was in an ideal location and was within easy reach of lots of attractions and the views from the roof were wonderful. Although there is a gym we didn't use it.
Staff were quite friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2010
2 Thank WeeM49
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I stayed here with 3 girlfriends and it was perfect! We are MBA students from the US and so on a budget and this fit the bill. Great location on Waterloo right past where Princes Street turns into Waterloo, easy walk from the train station, very helpful concierge, good amount of space for the money. My only qualm was that we were told we would have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and only had 1 bath. When we asked, we were told only some have 2 baths and it all depends on availability. 1 bathroom and 4 girls was a bit tight but not horrible.

All in all, I would recommend this place for those looking for a nice place to stay and don't care about all of the "extras" you get at a full-service hotel!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends