“Great family break”

Princes Street Suites
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great family break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had 3 apartments between 11 of us on a 4 day break between Christmas and New Year.

The apartments were in a fantastic location, walking distance from the station and shops.
Check in was straight forward and the receptionist was friendly enough however when we asked for some advice re restaurants she wasn't very knowledgeable at all.

All our apartments were spotlessly clean, beds very comfortable, shower good and the TV in the bedroom was a treat.

Would definitely visit them again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us during the festive period. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed the space provided by the apartment as well as the ideal location . We have noted your comments regarding the possible lack of knowledge of one of our receptionists. We had a couple of new starters the week you stayed so I suspect this was style an area that they needed to improve on. I hope this did not create too much inconvenience and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street suites next time you are back in the Scottish Capital.
Kind regards
Sandrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

A little disappointed with my stay here, given the branding of this place as 'luxury' serviced apartments. These apartments are good value for what you get, but are more consistent with their price tag than with their branding.

Overall, very central, good value, but of mediocre quality and more suitable for families visiting or for business than for a 'luxury' experience as advertised.

Rooms don't seem particularly well maintained. Mine had numerous halogen and LED light bulbs either burnt out or missing altogether, crumbling paintwork and grubby marks on various walls throughout.

Furniture is mismatched in places and of a poor quality which I recognised as pieces from Ikea which we used to put into student accommodation. Thin, cheap duvet and pillows, bed with a big gap down the middle and the only decorative piece in the bedroom bizarrely placed directly behind the television. TV for a large living room was a mini 14" television which was completely unusable on the opposite side of the room from the seating area.

I booked the room so I could cook dinner for my friends in Edinburgh. The kitchen itself was very good. However, although the apartment is advertised as having a kitchen and dining area for four people, there are only place settings for three (although the hotel brought me more). The bigger problem being cooking utensils themselves are of the same cheap Ikea quality and I only had two small pots suitable for cooking something like a tin of baked beans. I asked if I could have proper sized pots/pans and was advised that the whole hotel has nothing but these mini saucepans (presumably even the penthouse with space for 8?!). I had to give up cooking and order a takeaway because it wasnt possible to get the proper equipment to utilise the kitchen advertised. It seems pointless having a full sized kitchen and dining area if you can't make more than a boiled egg with whats provided to use in it.

Most of the staff don't seem that bothered, nobody asked how my stay was so I didn't bother providing feedback on this to them. The guest information in my room had obviously been printed after the ink cartridge had run out and was completely illegible. It struck me that it must have been obvious to the person making this up that it would be useless, yet they did it anyway. It just summarised a "could do better, cant be bothered" feel to the place and its decor.

The price point here is still very good, given what you get and that it isnt as expensive as what it claims to compete with. However, I would've been less disappointed receiving the same product, were it not played up to be something it isn't. Either put in proper furniture and utilities or stop advertising as a luxury establishment when you aren't

• Stayed January 2014
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed feedback of your recent stay at Princes Street Suites . Even though you seemed to be disappointed with the overall standard of the apartment and the facilities provided, I am glad that you have found it to be good value for money. All your comments have been taken on board , so thank you for sharing them with us and with the team . Our team takes comments from guests extremely seriously as they feel very committed to the place. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards- Sandrine
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Good location, two blocks from airport shuttle and walking distance to castle and the old city. Comfortable apartment had some trouble with hot water, it had to be turned on at the main daily but good service. Just make sure you check if you have breakfast provided or not. Good value for money, would book again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review . I am glad that you have enjoyed staying with us and were particularly happy about the location , which is hard to beat I agree ! The airport bus is only a few minutes' walk from our building which makes it ideal for visitors flying to Edinburgh . I hope we will see you again at Princes Street Suites - Best regards - Sandrine
Nicholasville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Edinburgh with our close friends and their 6 month old child. The suite room was very nice. Everything was clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were wonderful especially after a long drive. The kitchen was nicely equipped--they had tea, but not filter coffee, on hand.

The suite was split with one bedroom on each side of the living space--which had the living room, dining room, and kitchen. The views from the windows were very nice! If you're coming from America--the double room is actually two twins pushed together.

The only complaint--on the -1 floor, the wifi did NOT always work. And unless you book through their site, you have to pay for the wifi.

We found the room cheaper on Booking.com than their website--and reception did price match for us. However, after 9 pm, there was no one actually in reception--only reachable by phone.

Location was PERFECT for our trip. Not too noisy but a 10 minute walk from the castle.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your lovely review on your recent stay with us . I am delighted that you have enjoyed staying with us and enjoyed the facilities . We do welcome a fair number of guests from America and it is always great to obtain feedback .Our reception is opened 24 hours a day but occasionally the night person on duty has to leave the desk to carry our security rounds in the building and therefore has to lock reception . This is maybe why you found the office closed on that occasion . I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites and to Edinburgh in a very near future - Best regards- Sandrine
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I decided on something a little special to celebrate the new year so booked this well in advance. Spent 2 nights here from New Years Eve and we weren't disappointed. Excellent location in the centre of Edinburgh and well presented apartment. Warm and quite stylish with plenty of space and well equipped kitchen and bathroom. Bonus for us was the roof terrace to see the fireworks from both the castle and the observatory. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for staying with us over the New Year period . I am glad that you enjoyed your apartment as well as the stunning views from our roof terrace - certainly the best place in town to see both the fireworks on Carlton Hill , and on Castle Hill - I hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again next year . In the meantime, may I take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for the New Year - Best regards- Sandrine
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

My family of six had a really lovely stay at the Princes Street Suites. Excellent location, just behind the station, with modern well maintained facilities. We stayed in a three bedroom suite (number 25) which had a balcony and great views over to the old town and also across to Carlton Hill.

We're no strangers to Edinburgh, but it was the first time that we've stayed over with the four kids and having such a spacious central place to stay made it a breeze. My youngest daughter, who's 3 keeps asking when we can go back to "our new little house"!

Had a quick look to re-book for next year, but the prices sadly appear to have more than doubled....??

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely review - I am delighted that you and your family had a great time at Princes Street Suites and enjoyed the space in the apartment. Our apartments are ideal indeed for families - Everybody can find a little corner to relax, play or entertain. I understand from your comments that you are interested in staying with us next year- Please contact me directly and I will look into the best options for you. Very best wishes for the new year- Sandrine
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in December 2013. We were in apartment 3, a one bedroom apartment. When walking down the long corridor (plain white walls with scuffs and dirt) we were preparing for the worst, however the apartment itself was spacious, and well equipped. The bathroom was big with a lovely powerful shower, bedroom had comfy bed and pillows.

Some faults;
Room was freezing when we arrived, but we knocked all radiators up full and heating up full and it warmed up quickly. Would have been nice to have walked into a warm room.

The skirting boards under the kitchen benches were missing/hanging off but to be honest it didn't affect anything so didn't bother us too much.

We stayed as part of a winter package and on lAst morning we were called from reception to ask why we hadn't collected our breakfast. At no point during the booking or checking in process were we informed that we had free breakfast otherwise I wouldn't have went to marksies to get bacon in!!

Finally, the blinds don't fit the windows. They are too small and you can Still see outside into offices opposite or the entrance to the train station!!

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would visit again as the location is fantastic, and the apartments are very reasonably priced for what you get.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your email and for posting a review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us even though you seem to have experienced some minor issues . Being environmentally conscious, we try to encourage our guests and our staff not to keep the heating on when not necessary, hence maybe the apartment being a bit cold when you first came in. The apartments get warm very quickly so I am glad that you did not find it too much inconvenient. With regards to the winter package, the complimentary breakfast was included with the offer and mentioned on our web site. Sorry if it was not very clear- I hope you still make the most of it . I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Very best wishes for the New Year- Sandrine