“If ample space and location is a priority - look no further”

Princes Street Suites
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were 5 friends who stayed 2 nights at this place. We were very impressed, even after reading the great reviews on tripadvisor. The location is exceptionally central in Edinburgh. This is NOT a hotel, rather a serviced apartment, with tons of space, large kitchen with all the appliances you would like, huge bedrooms, spacious bathrooms and huge living room with modern and clean furniture. Should you need a comfortable and modern apartment in the heart of Edinburgh. The staff is kind and helpful. The price is reasonable for what you get. This is place I would definitely come back to, should we ever consider a family trip to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: We lived on the ground floor, but were not bothered with any noise from the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GeorgeDenmark
PSSteam, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Many thanks for your lovely review. I am glad that your party enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is hard to beat indeed . Princes Street and its shops is only 1 minute walk, and the old Town with the Castle, pubs and traditional Scottish shops only a few minutes stroll . We look forward to seeing you back at Princes Street Suites . Kind regards - Sandrine

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The sales pitch implied an excellent place to stay...... and it was - clean and roomy with all the amenities you would want-despite being in the centre of the city remarkably quiet so far as outside noise was concerned. The staff were helpful, friendly and most efficient;but -- there always is one, with a little more attention to detail it would have made 5 stars. The kitchen bin was broken and the cutlery ( why only two settings?) and kitchen knives rather cheap. The noise made by a revelling hen party staying in the hotel was not conducive to a restful nights sleep. All that said I'd return and take my chances that the girls had gone home and the minor irritations fixed. Recommended.

Room Tip: A suite not on the ground floor may be quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review . Despite the minor irritations, I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us . Due to the large size of our apartments and the central location, we are a very popular destination for families and groups of friends . However, our guests are being asked to respect our other guests' privacy and peace . Our duty manager who is on site all night always keeps an eye on noise level so I hope that it was not too much of an inconvenience for you. I hope we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites- Best wishes - Sandrine

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed with my half in small room with a double bed and bathroom for 3 nights. All we wanted was some place to stay during the nights so it was a good choice. Anything special but for a good money. Everything was clean, receptionist helpful. A bit disappointment with breakfast as we didn't know what it will be and we had 3 days the same wrapped breakfast (cornflakes, muffin, juice and roll with chocolate). Also we had a room with a view to the other wall of building so it wasn't as cool as it could be though it was a quiet room. If you want to enjoy Edinburgh you are busy whole day anyway so as we were and we were happy to be in the center of everything! :)

Room Tip: Make sure you want the breakfast and which room you will get (if you prefer a nice view)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HanaPeter

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I am glad you have enjoyed the experience but disappointed to hear that you did not like the breakfast. You will be pleased to hear that we are now working with a local supplier, and are including top quality products in our breakfast basket, including a freshly baked croissant or pain au chocolat, cereals, milk from a local producer, fresh orange juice, organic yoghurt , cereal bar and a fresh piece of fruit. I hope you will come back and stay with us again so that you can experience it for yourself. Hope you have a lovely summer - best wishes - Sandrine CL

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed at the Princes Street Suites in mid April, 2013 for a week. I was attending a group weekend event, and I booked late so missed the chance to share and I was worried that I would end up having to pay for an expensive hotel. However, I was fortunate enough to find a great rate for this hotel. The centre of activities was on Princes Street and this hotel was ideal for all the events I was attending, since it's so central and convenient. The studio suite I had was huge, with a washer/dryer, iron and tons of storage - and as well as the requisite hair dryer they had a flat iron for hair as well - which was great for me since I didn't have to worry about converters and varying voltage for my own iron. And it was an extra treat to have the apartment serviced and cleaned each day!

As it happens, my view was not fantastic since I looked out onto Waverley Station, but on the other hand it took me less than five minutes to walk there when I arrived, so I don't mind. Others have complained about the decorating, but I really don't know why. The furniture was modern - and yes much of it was Ikea, but everything was clean and the amount of space I had was amazing. Often my husband and I book 1-bedroom apartments when we travel together since studio suites are sometimes small, but if we come back together a studio will be plenty of room for the two of us so I would absolutely book again. I don't really cook a lot when I stay at self-catering places, except for a light breakfast and warming snacks, so I found the kitchen dishes, etc. to be more than adequate. I had friends over for wine one afternoon and had enough glasses for all six of us. Also, I thought it was great to have not only a fridge but a freezer as well.

I had two quibbles - one is that I wish there were an early check-in option for international travellers. My flight was very early so I arrived quite early in the morning and was unable to get my room, even though I'd written ahead. This would be a great option and I wouldn't even mind paying a bit to have the room early. The second quibble is that there are no plugs for the aforementioned blow-dryer and flat iron in the bathroom. I had to go through some gyrations to plug into a wall outlet and use another mirror which wasn't as well lit. However, these are minor quibbles and the value for money at this hotel was a real find and I was very happy with it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
PSSteam, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such lenghtly review on your recent stay with us. I am sure your comments will prove very useful to most readers looking at staying at Princes Street Suites . I am delighted that you have enjoyed the overall stay and that you felt that both the facilities and the equipment provided were of very good standard . We have noted your comments regarding the plug as well as the early check-in. We always try our best to give our guests access to the apartments as early as possible in the day without having to pay a supplement. Currently, the only way we could garantee a very early check-in would be to charge an additional night (the night before) , which is obviously possible, but not necessarily a cost effective option for our guests . I hope we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards- Sandrine

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Anna checked us in and very kindly upgraded us to a 2bed apt with wonderful views, we had a lovely stay and we were very well looked after. Anna and the rest of the reception team were lovely and made our stay very special. Views from rooftop terrace were amazing, we will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your lovely comment regarding your stay . I will pass them on to the team and to Anna who will be delighted to read them. I am glad you have enjoyed the upgrade to a larger apartment with great views, even more so as I believe it was a very special date for you .We hope we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best wishes - Sandrine

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were here for a few days' stay in Edinburgh; just coming over from a stay in Paris. We were thoroughly impressed. I should note that we were a multi-generational family; so many tastes and expectations were at stake here. Everyone was more than pleased. The space was definitely what we required. Bedrooms were outfitted nicely with decent sized, comfortable beds. Bathrooms had all the amenities; towel warmer, excellent water pressure, and complimentary shampoo and conditioner. The kitchen was also well-equipped for a short stay. We had all the necessary items for having a quick bite and even making tea/ coffee with the electric pot. The place was very clean from the entry all the way to the kitchen countertops. Windows were cleaned nicely so we could take in the amazing view from the floor-to-ceiling sized ones provided in the living room, back bedroom. We had a side view of the cemetery; which was a little creepy at first but very interesting if you wiki it.

The staff was so helpful and attentive. They recommended cabs and pizza to order in and at one point, we needed a tutorial on the washer/dryer combo. They sent up a plumber to effectively explain the setup. Just to note to other US occupants of this fine apartment; it may take up to 3.5 hours to complete a small load from wash to dry in these combo units.

Just a quick note as others have mentioned that if you are coming off of the AirLink bus from Edinburgh airport, it is a bit of a walk across the bridge, past Waverly station and on to where Waterloo Street. Be mindful ahead of time, if you have a few pieces of luggage; it may be more beneficial to just take a taxi straight from the airport. We made a bit of a spectacle of ourselves; trying to manage our luggage at rush hour and having a vague idea of where the units were located. My eight-year old had trouble wielding an awkward piece of luggage, but took it in stride as onlookers laughed. He ended up sort of dancing with it to better manage the journey.

Another quick point to know about weekend stays here, as they tend to be heavy on the partying. If you are expecting a quiet get-away; then you should book Sunday- Thursday. We don't begrudge those who were having a late night. I was younger once, too and would have enjoyed a night out in Edinburgh! Just expect raucous noise outside and often inside the general area of the apartments; on the weekend.

Edinburgh is a very magical city; with a beautiful cityscape to match the charming personalities of its inhabitants. The Princes Street Suites made our trip there even more fantastic. We are planning a return visit soon!

Room Tip: Make sure you have specific directions to the hotel, especially if walking with luggage from the Air...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

. Many thanks for your lovely feedback . I am delighted to read that you and your family had a great time in Edinburgh and enjoyed your stay at Princes Street Suites . Our location is perfect indeed, just 10 minutes’ walk from the Airlink Bus, which I appreciate can be a busy walk considering that we are situated at the East end of Princes Street, Edinburgh's main street.
I am glad you have enjoyed the views from your apartment, the Old Town , Arthur Seat on one side , and the Carlton cemetery on the side , where very famous and prestigious Scottish personalities are buried. A very Scottish experience…and view, cherished by a lot of our guests who ask specifically for that view when they book a repeat visit with us !

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites.
Best regards

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here as part of a group of 8 so we booked 2 rooms which slept 4 people each on the 3rd floor. We were ont he same floor and right opposite eachother which was handy. On arrival, the staff were very friendly and helpful. They gave us everything we needed and were even able to loan us a phone charger for someone who had forgotten theirs. Also, previous to arriving, as the apartments are self-catering, we had arranged for a tesco food shop to be delivered to the apartments. The staff catered for this and even unpacked the groceries for us so that it was all ready when we arrived.
The apartments themselves are spotless, beautifully designed and with lovely views in one (right into the city) and a view of a graveyard in the other one which was a little odd.
One apartment was bigger than the other so we used this for cooking. One thing I will say is that the facilities were slightly lacking, one apartment didn't have mugs, the other only had 3. One apartment had more cooking dished than the other etc, however because we had the 2 apartments it meant that we had everything we needed when we put it together. There was a dishwasher in both (great for when there is a group), tea and coffee, lovely couches and a table in the living space. It was very quiet at night, heard no noise form either outside or the halls which was great.

The bathrooms are lovely, the shower is great and they had everything you needed in them.
The staff came and replaced the towels on our second day but didn't clean the apartments or change the bins (as we had cooked alot) and that would have been helpful.

The building itself is very centrally located, a short walk from many of the important tourist spots in Edinburgh. There is a lovely communal roof area which would be beautiful in the summer and the lift/stairs/hallways are all lovely.

We booked through an online website and paid upfront which meant we got a great deal, so it was great value for money.
Can't say enough about this place, had a lovely stay and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your great comments on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites. I do remember your party indeed, and the food shopping arriving at Princes Street Suites ! You must have had a busy weekend cooking ! Delighted that you have all enjoyed your overall stay with us . Thank you for your feedback regarding the kitchen equipment . I have since reported it to our team to make sure that this does not happen again. With regards to housekeeping, our apartments are being serviced every day and depending on the lenght of stay, the type of service will vary between a full service or a light service. We have found that this is very much welcomed by our guests who do not usually expect serviced apartments to be cleaned every day and are pleasantly surprised to see that the apartment has been tidied up in their absence.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Kind regards