“1st anniversary weekend”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #50 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We spent quite a while looking for a really nice Edinburgh hotel for our 1st anniversary and eventually chose a studio suite at Hotel du Vin. I would highly recommend staying here. We stayed for just one night but I wish it had been more. We arrived a few hours before check-in in the hope the room might be ready a bit early. It wasn't but they took our bags and said to try a bit closer to check-in time (3pm) as it might still be ready early. We came back around 2.45 and it wasn't quite ready yet so we sat in the courtyard for a drink. Unfortunately service seemed really slow and before we got to order a drink, someone came to tell us our room was ready. We were shown to our room and told we'd been given a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite! Our bags were waiting in the room for us. I'm not sure exactly why we were given the upgrade (it was a Saturday night too) but it was a nice bonus and more than made up for the lack of service in the courtyard. The room was amazing. Literally one of the best I've stayed in. We had a private balcony looking on to the courtyard, monsoon shower, battleship bath, great smart TV, really comfortable bed and everything was of the best quality. It was well worth the money. As many others have said, the location is also ideal. Upon check-out, I asked if we could have a bit more time and they were more than happy to allow us an extra hour. Perhaps some of these perks won't happen every time but I'd still go back with or without them. Great service overall, lovely room and well worth the money. Great hotel.

Room Tip: Book a suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Zak,

Thank you very much for your review on Hotel du Vin. I am delighted to read such positive feedback and that we made your 1st Anniversary weekend so special. I do apologise for the lack of service in the courtyard and this is something we have since rectified.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to taking the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is comfortable, friendly and reasonably priced. The restaurant is very good and the bar is lively and interesting. Key Edinburgh sites are within pleasant walking distance. Parking is available, but it is off-site and several blocks away. All in all, a very good hotel choice. I would stay at Hotel du Vin again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Vaney,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. It is very reassuring to receive feedback like yours and a pleasure to read.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon in the near future.

Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in Edinburgh a lot and try to switch hotels every so often. HdV is a lovely hideaway right in the centre of Edinburgh (and incredibly located for Fringe!).

The rooms vary hugely so can be a bit hit or miss. I've read another review on TA which complained of quite a dark room - something I have experienced myself to a certain extent - but most are wonderful. My particular favourite has a bath tub essentially in the middle of the room!

The food is delicious and the little courtyard a lovely place to sit and relax. I don't think this is the best hotel in Edinburgh but it's definitely one of those with the most character.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank spannavision

Dear spannavision,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel perfect for your needs. The hotel is indeed a great little hideaway and unique on many aspects.

I look forward to having you return here soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Enjoyed a lovely 2 night stay here and found all staff very friendly and helpful, food very good but disappointed both mornings when told that the smoked haddock was sold out and this at half 9 plus for sides cauliflower cheese sold out at half 7 on a Saturday night. Saying that the onion soup is superb not tasted one so good as when had lunch small street cafe in Paris ,fabulous. The room was lovely and got an upgrade to a studio room, great size.
Will defo be back though and think will preorder the smoked haddock well in advance

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Wendy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review of Hotel du Vin. I am delighted you read you had a great stay and I can only apologise for some of the food items being unavailable on breakfast and during items. We did experience some issues with our fish deliveries hence the issue at breakfast. I can confirm this has all been resolved and should be ready for your return visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back and thank you once again.

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Hotel marked five, restaurant three. Hotel is delightfully designed and generally of high quality in both surroundings and service. The restaurant impaired the experience, the food not being especially good for the prices, and the service being very mixed indeed; we resented the imposed 10% service charge.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank martinjohnfarr

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and that hotel was rated a 5/5. With regards to the restaurant experience, please do accept my apologies for the poor service and standard of food you received. I will ensure your feedback is passed onto my team to be rectified through training.

Many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We enjoy staying and eating at the Hotel du Vin chain and have stayed as a couple and with family and friends on 8 or 9 occasions in 5 locations but this was our first ( and last ) visit tso the Edinburgh HdV.
There is no parking which is inconvenient but we did know in advance so that's not really a complaint. Our room was small and dark, there was an apology for the lack of any information as it was being redone. A sequencing problem there I think, and the paper menu which was in the room was covered with coffee stains from previous guests, I can see how that happened as there really wasn't space to make drinks but surely it could have been changed.
Then dinner, we had been looking forward to it but what a let down, numerous things were "off"" so we settled on steak - overdone and tasteless we agreed that if we had been given this in a poor pub meal it would have been disappointing - don't bother going or eating here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Nick,

Thank you for review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh and I am very sorry to read about your experience with us. With our hotel being a city centre location, parking is something we could not control and sorry this does have a negative impact upon your stay. All our rooms vary in size due to the nature of the building and design. I do thank you for your feedback on the lighting which I will look at to review to source any other options to make the rooms brighter. With regards to the in-room directory, these are in the process of being reprinted to a new format and awaiting for these to be finalised and sent to us.

I am very sorry to read about your dining experience with us. Due to the extent and nature of our menu, some items do tend to sell better than others hence the shortage on the evening you dined. With regards to the steak being overcooked, please do accept my apologies and I will share your feedback with my Head Chef to discuss.

Once again Nick, thank you for your feedback and I hope we can redeem ourselves in the future as this is certainly a one off experience. Please do get in touch directly, should you wish to discuss further michael.musgrave@hotelduvin.com.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We wanted somewhere special for a wedding night. We got a room with a broken clock (took no phone); no breakfast as 'it was finished' when we called and a refusal to cancel our second night without payment. Just left a bad tatse and definitely not value for money. Won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelica H

Dear Angelica,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us and that your occasion was not highlighted as your Wedding Night. We at Hotel du Vin pride ourselves on providing excellent service and experiences to our guests and sorry we let you down.

Within the rooms, the clocks are for decoration purpose only showcasing some elegant French styles. I am sorry that this delayed you throughout your stay.

Once again, please do accept my apologies and hope that you may visit us again in the near future to experience our true hospitality.