“Excellent location, very cozy”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #63 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Vienna, Austria
“Excellent location, very cozy”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The location is excellent.Definitely one of the best hotels in Edinburgh you could possibly choose.
The only issue was the Internet connection.
Also the bistro prices were a bit excessive for the portion sizes and quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Liubov4e,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am overjoyed to read your comments and that you would recommend the hotel to others visiting Edinburgh.

Please do accept my apologies for the poor internet service experienced last week. There was a technical issue which our providors were working on, which I am happy to say has now been resolved.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Michael Musgrave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at hotel du vin for the first time while travelling to Edinburgh and I will surely go back!

It is located in a very quiet place which was great for my sleep, and it is right next to the Edinburgh castle.

The decorations throughout this hotel are absolutely amazing, very elegant and luxurious. They have a great selection of whiskey and wine choices. Perfect for Christmas parties if my company was based there.

Another great thing here was the flawless service, and the amazingly knowledgable staff which made my stay even better.

Overall, the experience I had here was perfect, and I highly recommend this place to anybody travelling up to Edinburg.

Kartik Shah

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr Shah,

Thank you for your time to review Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh. It is an absolute delight to read your wonderful review and that you enjoyed your stay with us. My team are definately a credit to the hotel and do add their own personal touch and charm to the service.

Once again thank you and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Edinburgh and Hotel du Vin soon.

Wales
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed here for three nights.

The room was very comfortable and well equipped.

The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient.

Just had the continental breakfast but that was outstanding and plenty of choice.

Only ate at the hotel on one evening and in the bar but the snack we had was very tasty.

The only thing that let the hotel down was the lack of internet. They apparently had a problem with it but in a hotel that obviously caters for business and leisure customers to be without internet for 3 days seems inexcusable. We mentioned it at reception a few times but although they took our complaints on board nothing seemed to be done about it.

We got a good deal on price through late rooms - before I booked I phoned hotel du vin directly but they said they could not match the price on late rooms which seems very strange as they must have to pay late rooms commission.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear AZV,

Thank you for your overall lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very sorry regarding the internet connection within the hotel last week which was a difficult time for both guests and indeed myself. I can reassure you the service is back up and running again and was a fault by our provider and was out of our hands at the time. Unfortunately it did take longer than expected to be fixed and please be assured our IT department are currently monitoring the situation.

I would like to thank you for the lovely comments regarding my team, service and food in the hotel. We do strive to provide the highest levels of customer care and service and thank you for being so kind.

Once again thank you and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We booked here for our honeymoon and were happy to find it was pretty close to the Royal Mile and directly opposite Greyfriar's Bobby. We were shown to our room and had help with the cases; unfortunately there were no porters around so we were shown up by a member of the bar staff who got a bit lost at first - it seems the hotel is a bit of a labyrinth but he showed us a quicker way up and down for when we didn't have luggage which was really helpful. That is the only unfortunate thing for this hotel; we stayed in the Henley Vineyards room which is one of the four rooms right on the top floor and there is no lift up there, just a rather large stairwell. I struggled sometimes after a long days sightseeing but I can't say it ruined the stay, we just got used to it. Room was very nice with beams on the ceiling though it is smaller than I expected for the price we paid. The bathroom was very nice but imposing, the bath was wonderful, I'm a big lady and it fit me in nicely; I have to say it could be improved if the sound system went through into the bathroom as it does in some hotels, I don't like to sit in silence. The shower was phenomenal. The only downside was that we could hear when the room next door used the bathroom. Service in the restaurant and the food was lovely; steak was not so nice as it had been totally flattened, I suspect so it would cook quicker; the scallops were also thin but the taste made up for this. We did not use the mini bar - far too expensive. Room service we only used once for some chips (sorry pommes frite) and we were happy. They offer a laundry service which is a little pricey but useful. Overall our stay was wonderful, comfortable and we were sad to leave. If it wasn't for the stairs I would have given it 5-out-of-5.

Room Tip: Our rooms faced the courtyard which has a cool little smoking area; as cool as we thought it was it...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear CuddlyCutie1984,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro. It was a great pleasure to read how you enjoyed your stay with us and apologies on the stairs being the only downsight for your visit. The hotel is an 18th century listed building and the rooms you stayed in, were in the oldest part of the building and a lift could not be installed due to listed building regs.

I am glad you chose to dine with us and thank you for the feedback which i will pass onto our chef.

Once again, thank you for your lovely review and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Lochwinnoch, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Spent a night there with hubby. Very welcoming hotel only about 20 mins from Princes Street. When we booked in a member of staff actually took us to the room and showed us the facilities. Nice touch. Had dinner which was very nice, but did not like that you had to pay extra for veg side dish which cost £3.75 each. The wine list was extensive but very expensive . Waiting staff friendly and attentive. Nice for a special visit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joan,

Thank you for your time in completing a review for Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am very grateful for your kind comments regarding the hotel and Bistro. The Bistro menu is quite extensive and portions of a good size although it is normal for side dishes to be charged extra in restaurants. I do hope this does not deter you from coming back in the future.

Once again Joan, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back again on a future visit.

Regards,
Lochwinnoch
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have stayed in many hotels in central Scotland (especially Dunblane and Edinburgh) and have always been struck about how they just can't get it right. We had received a gift voucher for Hotel du Vin and decided to spend it in Edinburgh taking advantage of one of their weekend deals. Checking into the hotel was pleasant enough though we had to park on a double yellow line to unload our baggage. (Beware if there are parking wardens about.) We arrived early but the reception staff took in our luggage and kept it for us while we went off to enjoy the day. We found the recommended NCP car park (20% discount when booking through this hotel) about a half mile walk and a bit of a maze away but still do-able if you are walking fit. Might not work if you have very young or elderly or unfit people with you. The hotel itself is beside the medical school and Edinburgh University so the streets all around are thronged with students and there are lots of student/University type bars and cafes all around (lots of good choices just in case you don't want to eat/drink in the hotel all of the time).

When we returned to the room we found our luggage in there already. The room was nice enough but had a roll top bath in the middle of the room and in front (??) of a window with a small balcony. There was also an amazing walk in "drench" shower. The sleigh bed was king size and very comfortable. So far, so very good. Plenty of complimentary bits and pieces but the mini-bar prices were horrific. I don't know why hotels boost their mini bar prices. Surely it is better to sell something with a reasonable margin than to sell nothing with a massive margin. Anyway, we went down to dinner. The aperitifs were a little more expensive than ordinary pub prices but were beautifully presented. The menu had lots of interesting things and my biggest disappointment was that I could not manage to eat several starters and several mains. One thing to watch out for: the portions are reasonably big so go easy on ordering sides. At £3.75 each they are a bit pricey but very substantial in themselves. (The wilted spinach is stunning and the peas with lettuce and mint were great!) My wife's rack of lamb looked good but my duck was a wee bit overcooked though, to be fair, I did not make it clear that I prefer my meat cooked very rare. Looking round the rest of the diners, all of the food looked great and everyone was enjoying themselves. Service was very good. The waiters were friendly without being obsequious.

Yes, we would stay here again. The only reason I have only given it 4 stars is because of the parking problems. Perhaps next time we stay we will come by public transport. So, Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh, congratulations and well done!

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade to a "superior" room with a view over the courtyard. Keeps the noise of...
Dear Janusz,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel du Vin & Bistro. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and would recommend our hotel to others.

Unfortunately due to the location of the hotel the parking/drop off situation is something out of our control but glad it did not deter you from wanting to stay at the hotel.

I am delighted to read you had a lovely dining experience. Our Bistro is a popular venue especially at weekends and glad to hear you enjoyed it (apologies on your duck as this would have come chef's choice of cooking).

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again in the near future.

Bracknelll
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I travel to Edinburgh for work every week and having tried numerous hotels and guest houses I'm in no doubt that HDV out performs all the rest. It's small enough to stay friendly and personal whilst being special enough to keep clear blue sky to between it and it's competition. Not forgetting the awesome location! If you're coming to Edinburgh and you want something great, stay at Hotel du Vin.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Marktsky
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Marktsky,

Thank you for your great review of HDV Edinburgh, it is much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoy coming here and find the team/hotel very friendly and cut above the rest. We do enjoy having you as a guest and look forward to welcoming you back soon.