Hotel du Vin & Bistro
$860
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$165
$136
$129
  • Room Service
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$236
$236
$135
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Travelodge Edinburgh Central(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$82
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
1,155 results
All reviewsmonsoon showerroll top bathwhisky snugcigar bothyhdv edinburghoverlooking the courtyardroyal milesuperior roomfree standing bathlovely hotelnational museum of scotlandeggs benedictnespresso machinemini barlovely roomedinburgh hotelboutique hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

As in other places, Hotel du Vin have done an imaginative restoration of an old city-centre building, making a smart hotel. Staff were welcoming, but we were a little disappointed with our room. It had a tortuous approach via a lift, then down some stairs, then finally up a long flight to the room. The room itself was small with no comfortable easy chair and not very good lighting. The bathroom was large with a very good shower, but the free standing bath was very difficult to get out of.

Our evening meal in the restaurant, chosen from an imaginative menu, was excellent, although I thought the wine at about £9 per glass, over-priced.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew H
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am happy to read you liked the transformation of the old building and unfortunately due to the layout, some of the rooms do have a little bit of walking to get too. Although those rooms do have a lot of character and original period wooden beams exposed.

I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable meal experience and I do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back again very soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday night offer, which is great value. We had a junior suite which was lovely. Really love the nespresso machine. Dinner in the bistro was good, though next day at lunch I had a very bland risotto.
The young guy on the desk, I think from Northern Ireland, was super helpful.
Great to have such lovely dog friendly hotels.

Room Tip: Junior suite was very spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank venice1912

Dear Venice1912,

Thank you for your kind review of HDV Edinburgh and for yuor wonderful comments regarding dinner and Gavin on the front desk. All reviews are much appreciated and your comment regarding the Risotto was passed onto our head chef.

Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The entrance and communal areas of the hotel were very pleasant. The staff were very helpful and willing to help, particularly in the bar area. The location was good and perfect for the Scottish National Museum and edinburgh castle. The linen in the room was good quality and we did sleep well in a room overlooking the courtyard.

However, our room was small and lacked character. The bathroom floor was not clean. There was also a a bad stain on the blind.

Would not be my first choice if I returned to Edinburgh as there are other (cheaper) hotels of the same quality.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tess6

Dear tess6,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel du Vin following your stay with us. I am sorry to read you did not like the character of the room, although you did like the welcoming public spaces from the courtyard and inside.

I have passed on your feedback regarding the bathroom floor my head housekeeper to ensure this is followed up and implement the normal high standards back into the guest bathrooms.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were very pleased with our stay at Hotel du Vin and would likely return here if visiting Edinburgh again. We had a Studio King and it was quite spacious and quiet (facing the courtyard) with a nice bathroom (great shower) and super comfortable bed. The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful. The décor is appealingly funky. The location, right off the Royal Mile and literally steps from the Scottish National Museum, could not be beat. So why not 5 stars? First, as has been noted by other reviewers, it's... dark. Our room had small "pin point" ceiling lights, but the in-room lamps were very dim, making for a harsh ambience. It was also very difficult to read in bed with the low light of the bedside lamps. Second, we had paid for an inclusive breakfast and this was frankly disappointing-- a white bread baguette, cold cereals, pieces of fruit, and packaged yogurt. (In fairness I should say that my husband praised the cereals.) Hot items were an extra 3 pounds. Generally though, we are glad we chose this hotel, and would recommend it for the location and overall comfort.

Room Tip: Studio King room costs more but gives extra space and seating area. Gaudium Room quite nice and quiet but not well lit.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Snarth

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. It is very pleasing to read your review and that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is a former 1800's asylum and the rooms lend itself to many various characteristics such as tall ceilings.

I am sorry to read you did not enjoy the breakfast experience and I have passed on your feedback to my head chef.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice, albeit rooms are a little small.

Its difficult to put my finger on it, but there is something lacking compared to some of the other Du Vins, like brighton.

The hotel is very dark which doesnt really help, but its not even in a way thats cosy. Perhaps a lot more candlelight around may make it a bit more homely.

Hotel was fully booked when we were staying, yet the hotel itself seemed to lack atmosphere.

There was nothing distinctively wrong, just perhaps designed not so well.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Joe B

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am sorry to read you didnt think the hotel was designed as well as our sister properties and maybe the lighting was a little dark. This is certainly something I will work with to improve the hotel atmosphere for the future.

Thanks again and I hope you will continue to choose HDV Edinburgh as your hotel of choice for Edinburgh.

Best regards,