“Bring your earplugs”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #51 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Fantastically located for the Fringe, this was our second stay here. It was only on the fifth night that I slept through (thanks to ear plugs). Surprisingly, it was neither the bar nor noise from the road outside that was the problem, it was the combination of a noise-porous door with strongly sprung neighbouring doors and loudly creaky floorboards from the room above.
The bathroom looked a bit tired.
Reception staff were unfailingly helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NickLz
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I could make a long list of the things that were good here... the room was good as was the bed, the shower, the bar, the restaurant, the front desk staff, etc. The great things are limited to the friendly bartenders and the location. I was there during Fringe, so everything was expensive, but I think Hotel du Vin was decently priced considering. The restaurant however was quite expensive. In such a gorgeous city with such a festive event, the hotel just become a place where I laid my head for rest. Not great, but comfortable and reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bpnyc
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to Edinburgh for the comedy which was fortunate as we wouldn't have wanted it to be a romantic break in this hotel. The staff on reception apart from one were offhand and dismissive. The room was very dark and pokey. We went out at 10.30am on our first morning and came back about 1.30pm but the room had not been made up. A note was then put under the door to say if we wanted the room made up it would have to be done before 4pm as the housekeepers left then. The room service menu didn't offer any sandwiches or anything really suitable for lunch and there was no guest information in the rooms. Really disappointed although the fringe was fantastic

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeatherO61
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Heather,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh. I am disappointed to read your comments and that you did not have an enjoyable stay. I will certainly follow up on the comments regarding the front desk team.

With regards to the housekeeping timings of room cleaning, our team do tend to clean up to 12 rooms a day and departure rooms tend to get priority to be ready for new guests arriving. With the note being placed under the door, I can only assume you had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door instead of the Make Up My Room sign, hence the room was not cleaned earlier.

Our room service menu offers a limited menu, however during festival we were also running the A la Carte menu for room service, which had lots of choice for our guests to enjoy. I am sorry we did not have any dishes suitable to your requirements.

Once again thank you for your review.

Regards

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've stayed in a number of Hotel Du Vin properties and always loved them until now. The communal areas are good but the room I was given was terrible and hugely expensive. It was tiny, dark and bland with tired furniture and my friends all had similar rooms. We didn't want to spend a minute longer than we absolutely had to in them, they felt like cells. Really disappointing and a total rip off. Avoid

Room Tip: Don't get a standard room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cfvarley
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear CFVarlay,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh. I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us due to the room you had. The hotel has many different category of rooms and the sizes vary. Our standard rooms are adequate for 2 adults with an ensuite and all vary due to the locations of the building. It is very unusual to hear them compared to cells. Our superior rooms and above are larger and boast beautiful roll top baths and separate walk-in monsoon showers. Our website does provide this information.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and if the opportunity does arise, I would be delighted to offer an upgrade to a Superior room (subject to availability) to showcase the difference.

Regards

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was a real find during recent stay in Edinburgh and I’m already planning to return later this year. A perfect base for a short or long city break; it’s located in the old town, within easy walking distance to the historic Royal Mile and a short hop from the buzzing shops on Princes Street. There are plenty of neat watering holes nearby and snazzy boutique eateries, but make time to try the hotel menu – it takes some beating. The hotel staff know their stuff when it comes to wine too and, whether you’re a novice or budding sommelier, they’ll help you discover a few glasses that suit your taste. We got introduced to the Battle of Bosworth, now my favourite Shiraz.
This is clearly a hotel where management and staff are passionate about what they do and take pride in getting every little detail right. Make sure you ask them about the history of the building too. Who knows, your room might just have hosted an infamous guest or too many years ago...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen M

Dear Stephen M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. It is with much pleasure to read your review and I am delighted you enjoyed every minute of your stay with us.

My team are true professionals and their knowledge base with regards to food and drink is second to none. The "Battle of Bosworth" is indeed a great wine and was a very good choice of the many wines to choose from.

I am glad to read you intend to make a return visit and I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

excellent location with wonderful food and cosy, relaxed ambience. They sometimes have a great offer on 5pm that is fantastic value for money - 3 course pre fix meal for two, plus glass of champagne - £29.50. Love this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear JenC,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your visits and I hope we keep continuing to welcome you back as a regular guest of our.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

A fabulous hotel - small, intimate, luxurious, excellent service, and ideal location in the old town - perfect! We only spent one night here as we were in transit between staying with friends and moving on to Glasgow, but it felt like an oasis of calm in the middle of a busy, fun packed holiday. The room, service and breakfast were excellent. Just walking in through the courtyard with the tables decorated with brightly coloured pots of flowers and the cigar bothy in the corner, immediately felt like entering a peaceful, elegant world which was in stark contrast to the hurly burly of Edinburgh street life outside - and that understated elegance continued throughout the hotel and is what sets it apart. A highly enjoyable stay, a lovely hotel and one I would highly recommende

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear AnnieD,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh. It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

The hotel has you rightly said is a little gem with all its quirky features and the courtyard with the lovely weather recently has been a hit with guests and locals.

Thank you once again for the lovely comments regarding breakfast and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.