“Hotel divine”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #49 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our daughter booked an overnight stay at this hotel for our birthdays, and what a pleasure it was to stay there. The hotel is very quirky with a surprise round every corner( including the beautiful whisky snug which I adored). Our room was overlooking the courtyard which was very quiet, and an added bonus was the huge bed with gorgeous feather duvet and pillows, not to mention the mega bath and monsoon shower. Then we come to the bistro, where the food was delectable and service was top notch. Last but not least I have to mention the staff at the hotel, they are some of the most helpful and friendliest we have met. So all in all a lovely overnight stay and a brilliant location for Edinburgh Old town. Look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking courtyard seem to be a quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear jojalot,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. It was an absolute pleasure to read your comments and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time here.

I will be sure to post your feedback on our team notice board, so everyone is aware that they made your stay so memorable.

Once again, thank you and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Went for a recent weekend overnight stay with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. Rooms very comfortable and all the features we would expect at this sort of price and a few extra nice touches too, though prices for some basics like a bottle of water were a little steep. Bistro was hearty and cosy; just the thing on a cold March evening. Breakfast was even better- varied, fresh and the chance to try a few things that would be tricky to cook at home; all added up to a bit of a treat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable weekend and made the most of our Bistro and Breakfast.

I do hope to see you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The rooms were very comfortable and the food in the restaurant was much better than we had expected in a hotel restaurant. We have visited many hotels in Edinburgh and this was up there with the best.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. It was very reassuring to read that you believe we are among the best in Edinburgh and that you had a great meal in the Bistro.

I do honestly believe we are a little hidden gem and definately worth a visit.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I came with my husband and daughters so we had two rooms - and they definitely had the better one. Ours was Balfour and suffered from being directly above one of the smoking areas in the courtyard. So lots of chat and smoke into the small hours, despite a hotel sign saying it shouldn't be used beyond 11 pm. But otherwise a super hotel, wonderful beds and bed linen, great food, friendly service. Extra marks for free wifi and fresh milk in the room!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Missive,

Thank you for your review of the Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the noise in the courtyard and I do hope the team here did resolve that for you.

I am delighted you enjoyed the majority of your stay and found our facilities and little touches better than most hotels.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay here, had a wonderful time. We had 2 supreme deluxe rooms, they changed our rooms so we were together which was appreciated, our room 208 was superb, really spacious and quiet, the shower was hot and powerful. Breakfast was super, great choice of hot and cold dishes, good service. The receptionist was just lovely to the children, very warm and friendly. In a great location. If I was pushed to find a niggle, the room was a bit hot, that was it. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: 208, large and overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Lorna,

Thank you very much for your "Fab" review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am thoroughly delighted you and your family had a wonderful stay. Children always bring a nice warm glow to the hotel and I am very happy to hear the team did entertain them.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Edinburgh soon.

With warm regards,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I bought my mum an afternoon tea voucher as a birthday present. When we arrived there were no staff around to greet us so we waited for about ten minutes before being seated. The young man was apologetic and took our order. The food was lovely although took a little while to come. We had to remind him of our cocktails, which came later. We then had to ask for our coffee/tea which took another half an hour to come. We were seated in the whisky room, which was very pleasant. Another mother and daughter came in and were sat opposite us and as it was so quiet, we could hear each others conversations and it was rather awkward. Some quiet background music would have made all the difference. It took another while to get our bill, by which point we were quite ready to leave.

Overall, lovely food and surroundings but the service was incredibly slow and seemed disorganised, despite there only being a few other guests. Was disappointed given that I spent a little more than I would usually as it was for a gift.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your Afternoon Tea experience. I am very sorry to read the service was not up to standard and I have passed on your feedback to my bar team who look after the tea experience. Please be assured, we have put new measures into place to ensure that Afternoon Tea is a real treat in the future.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I do hope you have the opportunity to come back and try us again.

Regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having stayed at other du vins the standards you expect were there, fine food, well presented rooms good service, however. There are a few strategic issues with this du vin that need some attention by senior management. Firstly, car parking, the only option is a £16 per night ncp, yes you get 20% discount but its still steep, I cant remember the last high class hotel I stayed at without a car park, even yorks du vin had one albeit at £10 per night. Just bear this in mind because unloading you car with a beady eye out for a traffic warden is not the best start to a luxury break.

my wife and I stayed in the Balfour room, nice but it lacked the kind of character you normally get in Boutique hotels, This room was clearly produced in amongst the alterations of the original building, needs looking at, perhaps some themed books or a "feature" that personalised the room from others, one that reminded you of the opulence of the brand, I felt as though this room was a marriot room with different colours, nothing special.

We did have a couple of minor issues with the maid service, on our middle day it had not been cleaned by 3.30pm, that said we got some free drinks in the bar which was more than fair.Staff were friendly if not a little unimaginative without referral to the manager, but hey ho.

i would stay again but the prices even in a promotion would make me think twice, if the bathroom was a little less premier inn I would not object.

So come on Du Vin, I know you can do a lot better so us the magic you show elsewhere, I know you want to.

Room Tip: Avoid street facing romms, push the boat out for the upgraded rooms they might show more class than...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your feedback on Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. As you know, each hotel is different and lends itself to the various style of building, so the rooms are designed to be as comfortable as possible due to the layout. Being a City Centre Hotel, car-parking is something we cannot control and can only do our best to negotiate the best possible deal for our guests.

I am sorry to hear you had a few concerns with housekeeping, we do have a small team and try to get to all the rooms before 4pm to be made up and refreshed. I am delighted to hear the team did offer you some drinks to enjoy while the maid attended your room.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope you have the pleasure of returning in the near future.

Regards,