“Close to perfect”

Ranked #63 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Close to perfect”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having stayed at other du vins the standards you expect were there, fine food, well presented rooms good service, however. There are a few strategic issues with this du vin that need some attention by senior management. Firstly, car parking, the only option is a £16 per night ncp, yes you get 20% discount but its still steep, I cant remember the last high class hotel I stayed at without a car park, even yorks du vin had one albeit at £10 per night. Just bear this in mind because unloading you car with a beady eye out for a traffic warden is not the best start to a luxury break.

my wife and I stayed in the Balfour room, nice but it lacked the kind of character you normally get in Boutique hotels, This room was clearly produced in amongst the alterations of the original building, needs looking at, perhaps some themed books or a "feature" that personalised the room from others, one that reminded you of the opulence of the brand, I felt as though this room was a marriot room with different colours, nothing special.

We did have a couple of minor issues with the maid service, on our middle day it had not been cleaned by 3.30pm, that said we got some free drinks in the bar which was more than fair.Staff were friendly if not a little unimaginative without referral to the manager, but hey ho.

i would stay again but the prices even in a promotion would make me think twice, if the bathroom was a little less premier inn I would not object.

So come on Du Vin, I know you can do a lot better so us the magic you show elsewhere, I know you want to.

Room Tip: Avoid street facing romms, push the boat out for the upgraded rooms they might show more class than...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Dave,

Thank you for your feedback on Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. As you know, each hotel is different and lends itself to the various style of building, so the rooms are designed to be as comfortable as possible due to the layout. Being a City Centre Hotel, car-parking is something we cannot control and can only do our best to negotiate the best possible deal for our guests.

I am sorry to hear you had a few concerns with housekeeping, we do have a small team and try to get to all the rooms before 4pm to be made up and refreshed. I am delighted to hear the team did offer you some drinks to enjoy while the maid attended your room.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope you have the pleasure of returning in the near future.

Regards,
Michael Musgrave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
york
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I had a very relaxing few days in this cosy hotel. The staff were extremely helpful, and nothing was too much trouble, particularly the restaurant staff. Our room was well furnished, clean and welcoming, with the benefit of a well stocked mini bar and tea/coffee tray, although a few sachets of instant coffee would have been appreciated! Not everyone likes these new style coffee machines! So, back to the restaurant. The breakfast menu suited all tastes, from a big continental selection, to a typical Scottish 'porridge and kippers' option! Our evening menu was extensive, beautifully cooked and well presented. The waiter was eager to explain everything on the menu, and suggest appropriate wines to accompany our meal. All in all, a most enjoyable stay, and one which we hope to repeat.

• Stayed April 2013
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Denise,

Thank you for your nice review on Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay and had a pleasant evening in the restaurant.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to us again in the very near future.

Lanarkshire
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is beautiful hotel with a really interesting lay-out. Lots of wee nooks and crannies- lovely for a quiet coffee or drink. the food is exquisite and they sometimes have a good deal on a Sunday for staying over.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Liz,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had a brilliant stay and enjoyed the food.

I do hope you have the opportunity to come back visit us very soon.

Best wishes,
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A special treat - one night away and lobster thermidor for dinner. What more could you want? Service was very good, food and wine delicious and room very comfortable. Situation may be a little way from the centre but the walk does you goods and says you up for more food and drink. I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. It is great pleasure to read your excellent feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and indeed the Bistro.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes,
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I booked a studio room at the top of the hotel for a special celebration night with my husband. It wasn't cheap so we were somewhat taken aback that the toilet was in with the open plan walk in bathroom. not very romantic! I was not warned of this when I booked and it did spoil our stay. enough to say that we both like our privacy at times! And like many hotels there were not nearly enough spare sockets: nowhere to plug in the kettle or hair dryer let alone a phone charger. Having said that its a great location nice and atmospheric with pleasant staff. but if I stay there again I'll be sure to book a cheaper more traditional style room.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am sorry you did not like the style of our Studio room due to the open planned bathrooms. Our rooms in our Superior category and above are all very different, with many rooms with open plan bathrooms. I do believe if you had mentioned to our team, we could have accommodated you in a room with a closed bathroom.

Once again, thank you for your feedback as it is always much appreciated.

Regards,
Aberdeen
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

You really can't go wrong with the Hotel du Vin. This wonderfully central hotel (5 minutes from the Royal Mile and literally across the road from the National Museum of Scotland) makes for an excellent weekend stay in Edinburgh.

We took the option to upgrade our room to a superior, so we wended up with a huge shower along one wall of the room, a beautiful standalone bath and absolutely masses of space. We did have a room on the front though, the small road seemingly a bus route, so it wasn't quiet all the time.

You get all the usual hotel du vin things-lovely fancy coffee machine, free wifi, bath robes, but my wife commented the best thing in the room was the bed-quite possibly the comfiest bed we've ever slept in!

We didn't eat lunch or dinner in the hotel, but the breakfasts are certainly worth it. An excellent, fresh and unusual selection from the continental buffet, and really well cooked choices from the menu. The bacon was superb-maple cured, I think.

The staff were great here-very accommodating with early check-in, leaving bags etc., and I don't mean to take anything away from them when say that I did feel the overall service wasn't quite up to that we got at the Glasgow Hotel du Vin.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and off course your breakfast.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here with my wife and a group of friends for a long weekend recently. Took advantage of the special Sunday night offer too before the flight home on the Monday .

We have stayed at several HdV locations previously and were interested to see how this one compared. The hotel is well located in my view - within walking distance of all the major tourist and business areas plus very handy for the University.

Our room was on the first floor and whilst not huge was ok and overlooked the central courtyard. Bed was large and comfortable and coffee machine excellent. The bathroom was small and a bit disappointing compared to other HdVs (where the bathrooms have generally been fabulous!) However by way of mitigant, the bath was very deep and allowed a good wallow (please note Jurys in Plymouth!!) whilst the shower was also excellent. I did miss the Aran Aromatics toiletries which were always worth taking home from other HdVs!

We ate in the restaurant twice for dinner and three times for breakfast! The latter was excellent albeit I ordered the Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon every time as is was so good! The buffet was also great esp the orange juice.

Dinner also pretty good with the exception of the pate which was dreadful - almost all fat! Which brings me on to the final very positive aspect of the hotel

We thought the staff really were first class. The aforementioned pate was changed immediately without quibble. Several other minor irritants occured but on each occasion the staff dealt with them so positively and efficiently they were instantly forgotten, Particularly worthy of mention were the Polish receptionist, the restaurant manager from Northern Ireland and the barman/assistant manager who did a great sales job on the twisted? real ale!! Sorry I cant remember the names but be assured that the team here really are very good.

The weather was so cold we spent most of one day lazing on the leather sofas in the whisky snug reading papers in front of the roaring fire. A proper hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 911prentonpark
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. It was such a pleasure to have you and your party as guests here in the hotel. I am delighted you found the team here a pleasure and I have to agree they are exceptional.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to our chef regarding both the Eggs Benedict (which are quite a popular choice for our guests) and also the pate.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to Hotel du Vin Edinburgh.