“Christmas ambience”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #50 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed December 15, 2011

A Christmas dinner with friends ,the hotel had a xmas fair organised on possibly the worst night for weather of the year,they took it inside and nothing was lost by it mulled wine and christmas pies greeted you on entering,a lovely touch by the management was the R.S.N.O CHOIR singing every hour on a balcony above the restaurant.
The meal was excellent and the atmosphere good a thoroughly enjoyable evening was had away from the storm outside.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed in a junior suite and it was magnificent. The staff were very helpful and could not do more. The general manager (Graham) and his deputy (Gillian) took the time to make our stay very pleasant. The wine list is very comprehensive and the sommelier (Sebastiano) is excellent.
My only qualm about staying here is the menu and the food. The menu is very basic and uninteresting additionally actual food is not that great, maybe we have been spoiled by the HDV menu in Glasgow - the food here lacks finesse and appeal. The wait staff working on the night were not that good the waiter forgot to bring the requested butter twice.Had a birthday lunch at the chefs table good to see the workings of the kitchen although there looked like quite a bit of tension from the head chef towards other staff don't really want to see that surely thats not the point of being seated in this location
Had stovies which had to be returned as tasted quite sweet bit like a tagine
Will definitely return to this hotel but will eat elsewhere

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My husband & I stayed in the Dom Perignon suite on our wedding night - it was absolute luxury! Loved the huge walk in shower and the breakfast was delicious. Would definitely recommend for that special occasion.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed at HDV Edinburgh this weekend after being very impressed with it on a previous visit.
This time round, I feel they absolutely excelled themselves.
Now, I am an HDV fan, I'll admit, but its the little things that have made me that way.
After checking in and going to our room, I returned to reception to ask if they perhaps had something bigger ( I am a big lad!) Ashleigh on reception absolutely went out of his way to make sure I got what I wanted even though he was dealing with a very busy hotel, even to the point of sending some champagne to our new room after we were settled in. To say I was delighted is an understatement, Thank you so much Ashleigh, you are a gentleman!
The room we stayed in was called Chateu La..... (cant remember it all) a really cosy room under the eaves, furnished simply, but elegantly with a fabulous bed and a big bathroom and most excellent shower. As ever in HDV properties, everything is quality, from the bed linen to the toiletries, we had a great weekend.
We ate both nights in the Hotel bistro, the first night with 5 friends, the service was impeccable and the food was wonderful, so much so, we dined there the following night!
I have to say, and I consider myself a connoisseur of burgers having sampled many, the burgers at the HDV Edinburgh are the best I've ever tasted!
Everyone in our party was extremely complimentary about the food, and we have a couple of fussy eaters!
Ive stayed in many Edinburgh hotels over the last 30 odd years, I dont need to try any more, I know where I'll be returning to,

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank privatewire
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Very helpful staff, great breakfast. But. And it is a big but.. We ended up in several rooms.. First one had impossibly loud and intermittent aircon going on like a cistern at various points.. Moved rooms in the middle of the night. second room, humming noise from outside the room. After consultation with duty manager the next morning, moved to a lovely junior suite but again could hear strange aircon noise through vents even though aircon was off, as it was in all the other rooms. All very odd and manager admitted they had had problems.. The thing about going to a hotel is you want to sleep. Getting this fixed here must be a priority. Such a quirky nice hotel and terrific staff. Gorgeous cooked breakfast. Parking. yes it is a walk away and inconvenient but as long as you know about it then fine. You do get a bit of a discount by giving your ticket to the receptionist. Had stayed here before in a top floor large room which was fine and in the older part of the building. With great regret, won't be staying here again. Exhaustion is not what I wanted from a stay here. Hugely disappointing. HOpe they get this fixed.

Room Tip: Top floor, old part of the hotel. You might get to sleep. I say average for the room because if you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is a superb hotel. Comfortable beds, large rooms and good shower. My problem was arriving in a car there is no where to park. The road is too busy outside the hotel to wait while luggage is unloaded as the reception is through an archway and courtyard. We parked in the recommended NCP car park and then had to trundle our suitcases through the streets back to the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights on a trip that was largely for pleasure. The room (standard) was great with a really comfortable bed and a super bath and shower. Lovely toiletries provided as well. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The breakfast was either a sumptuous continetal buffet or something cooked from a good menu. I had a great "Full English" one day and the buffet on the other. Either would set you up nicely for the day. I had two meals in the bistro and both were excellent. A small criticism was that the crab and saffron tart I had for one starter was a little bland, not enough crab flavour for my taste. On the other hand the partridge main course I had was excellent, top class cooking. The wine list is great, as you would expect, and the cheese board is very good too.

I also like the atmosphere of Hotel du Vin hotels. Lots of subdued lighting, dark wood and leather. This wasn't a romantic trip but I think it would make a good venue for one.

The location is pretty good in the old town not far from the Royal Mile. You can walk easily to anywhere in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are great so I think any room will be fine.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo