“Nice and classy”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #50 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights at this wonderful hotel in the centre of old town Edinburgh. Was all I expected and more. Very nice rooms - quality in everything, extremely nice staff that were very accommodating. Check out the cigar bothy in the courtyard - very cool.

Room Tip: Book deluxe rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Theoplusone
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed April 13, 2011

My husband booked this as a suprise treat for my birthday and we arrived for a special deal on 14.02.11. The deal included B&B in a luxury suite and dinner for two. The hotel is slap bang in the centre of Edinburgh, but Edinburgh's one way system and the lack of parking in the hotel made for a frazzled arrival, Hotel du Vin do a discount deal with a local NCP, but finding it is another matter! Once we were there, the reception was slightly frosty, nobody used our names, asked how our journey had been etc or even appeared remotely interested in anything but securing my husbands pre-authorisation on his credit card! Obviously we were being treated as the deliquents we must look! I understood the principle behind this procedure, but it was poorly and aggressively explained. Once in the room though, it was simply beautiful. It was huge, with an 8ft bed, stand-alone roll top bath, sofa, adequate storage, monsoon shower and gorgeous toiletries, which were complimentary for you to take. Plenty of choice in the tea and coffee department too! Perfect! All the fabrics/furnishings were luxurious and clean, the wallpaper very decadent, the only downside was the view. We were on the main road, above a noisy bus stop, I suppose you can't have everything!! Since we live in the City anyway, it wasn't a problem, but if you were booking and would prefer a quieter spot, request a room at the back, off the road. The evening meal was simply outstanding, a little more guidance from the staff on the portion sizes would have been appreciated. (top tip - their eggs benedict is mouth watering as a starter!) The menu is very non-descriptive and as we had a set value to use, we ordered sides and they weren't really neccessary, we could have shared and left room for dessert! The wine list is extensive and if you have the cash, splash it here, we picked a mid - price £30 one as the meal was free and it was more than worth it! They seated us in a private corner which was nice and romantic and having a quick look about the hotel, the dining rooms/bar/whiskey bar were all furnished to a high standard. There's even a little heated smoking cabana outside! The staff on departure were friendlier, the dining room staff especially at breakfast the next morning were lovely. (And yes, we had eggs benedict for breakfast too, it was that good!) Edinburgh is lovely, we just could have done with more time. Hotel du vin is very "high-end" 4 star, it is expensive, but if its a more luxurious approach you like, it'll do you nicely! Would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mandak13
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Having stayed before I knew what to expect. However on arrival I was greeted in a warm and friendly manner and was given an upgrade to the Krug room. The room was on the top floor at the end of a corridor and was beautifully decorated with sleigh bed, roll top bath with TV integrated into the wall in the bathroom and had a seperate waterfall shower.

I had dinner in the bistro which was lovely, I opted for Eggs Florentine and then the Ribeye Steak and the french sommelier selected me a beautiful glass of red to accompany it. I finished the meal off with deep fried mars bar & a cappuccino both of which were served perfectly in the warm and inviting Whisky lounge. Cholestral over load but very enoyable.

I look forward to returning with my partner and hope I am lucky enough to get the Krug room on my next visit.

My advise is stay here if you want the 5 star comforts at a more realistic price point than some of the other big 5 star hotels in the city.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ndarling
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Fairly good. Dark rooms but they have "culture and life". Bit different than your "average" hotel. Nice vibrant feeling in the Hotel, feels quite old school but in a nice good way not run down way. Good mini courtyard. Right next to the University. Good for older couples who want to stay in a semi decent place with some culture.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MichaelJT19
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Having taking just ten minutes to walk from Waverley station, we seemed to be walking into an area populated by vagrants and fringe venues. Once into the courtyard of this stylish hotel however, you feel instantly at home and eager to see more of this expensive venue. The front desk is manned by a small team of Eastern Europeans, who, whilst efficient, are somewhat cool, and not particularly welcoming. We stayed in 'Taittinger', which they describe as a 'superior room', which, whilst well-appointed in the usual HDV style, wasn't very big, and the shower and bath were in the bedroom, instead of in a separate bathroom, which was a little disappointing. There was only one window in the room, which was recessed, and was covered with a roller blind, which we later found wasn't up to keeping the streetlight outside from lighting up the room during the night. This room faces directly onto a main road, just opposite a very loud nightclub and fringe venue, which I recall stayed loud until about 3am. We dined in the hotel restaurant on the second night, and after choosing my 4th main course choice (the other 3 weren't available), I ended up with an onglet steak, which the again Eastern European waitress could neither describe or give a weight to. The steak, whilst well cooked, came with french fries and rocket, and was very basic for the asking price. Wine starts just south of £20 for belly wash, and just under £30 for something drinkable you can buy in the high street for £6. All in all, we enjoyed Edinburgh, but would stay somewhere different next time, and a hotel offering better quality and value for money. Word to the wise, the Bellini cocktails at the 5* Hotel Missoni just up the road are £7, unlike the £10 version at HDV, and are served by bar staff who are much friendlier!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steve c
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed here to celebrate my partner's 50th birthday.

HDV were absolutely brilliant. We were upgraded to a suite where they had left a little happy birthday message. It all just put the final gloss on an excellent weekend.

The room was huge with a seating area, bath and separate his and hers showers. To be honest if that was my apartment, i'd have been more than happy to live there permanently.

I'd be pushed to find fault other than the dinner menu including a specials menu which was only available via an online coupon and before a certain time, neither of which criteria was specifically mentioned on the menu itself. I'm sure we aren't the only people who eat in a restaurant without having previously checked the conditions online !

To be fair HDV did allow us to select that menu option (at full price) and threw in complimentary carrots !

thanks HDV, i'm sure we'll try another one of your fab quirky wine houses at the next birthday

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chilli_the_pink
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I took my fiance here for a surprise trip for his birthday - decided to book here after staying at the Harrogate Hotel Du Vin and really enjoying it, I wasn't disappointed! This hotel has a real wow factor - it's quirky and different and a breath of fresh air after all the predictable and un-spectacular chains we've stayed at. I booked a superior room which meant we had a free-standing roll top bath tub in the room as well as a seperate waterfall shower which were both really nice. The mini bar and snacks in the room were expensive (as are all hotels) but the selection was good and we enjoyed a gigantic bag of organic chocolate buttons from the fridge!

We ate in the restaurant in the evening - the food was delicious and the service was excellent. I would recommend the cocktails! And my partner was impressed with the selection of beers. The wine menu was also great and introduced us to an English wine we'd never tried before - the waiters / waitresses were very knowledgable about everything we asked. My partner said it was the best rib eye steak he'd ever eaten!

The staff were really courteous and helped by taking our bags up to the room while we parked the car, and also organising for our suitcase to be locked away during the day after we checked out - all normal things for hotels but the staff were really friendly and helpful and we felt they went over and above what was expected.

The location was great - we walked all around Edinburgh from the hotel so no problems there.

The only two draw backs are that parking is a 5-10 min walk away. We didn't find this a problem as we dropped our luggage at the hotel and then went to park the car. Parking is £16 for a 24hr stay. The second is that there was quite a bit of noise from the street outside - my fiance didn't notice but it woke me up a few times.

All in all, would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple