“Comfortable, but very thin walls!”
Review of Masson House

Masson House
Ranked #118 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night. We chose this bed and breakfast because it was one of the cheapest rooms available and it was surprisingly good. When we booked we didn't realise that it was a university hall of residence turned into a B and B in the uni holidays, but the rooms weren't anything like the "padded cell" I had when I was a student. Our room was light and airy and had everything we needed - a TV, tea and coffee making facilities and a hair dryer etc. It was lovely and clean and the reception staff were really helpful and friendly. The only downside is that you can hear everything going on in the other rooms - the walls were paper thin.

We had to check out early the next day before breakfast so the reception staff arranged for us to take a breakfast bag which was a lovely touch.

The B and B is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Royal Mile so, while it's not central, it isn't too far out.

1  Thank Swansea_Girl_1

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I read several reviews before booking, and thought it sounded okay; but somehow I missed that this hotel is in a conference center complex. The building is plan and simple. The 2nd story hallway is hot and has a smell like sweaty socks. The room is small and clean, and the bed is very comfy. There's a shower room; no shampoo, conditioner, bars of soap or lotion; instead there are 2 big bottles of hand-pump liquid soap.

The breakfast is HORRIBLE. It's in a cafeteria - think back to elementary school cafeteria. I've never actually seen fried eggs like that - the whites were actually stiff. I have also never had to spit out a hard-boiled egg before because it was so rubbery. My husband tried the pancakes and he couldn't eat them. They were the consistency of toast. On our second day, we actually got a laugh out of the other people who chose the pancakes, made a face and put them down, and then showed them to their companions, waving them around to show the texture.

I read a couple other views that the breakfast was great. The ONLY explanation I can think of is that the breakfast has changed since those reviews have been written.

The grounds are lovely. The staff in the hotel is nice.

Even though the price was right, I wouldn't stay again. It's too far away from the heart of Edinburgh to make up for the bad breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Not a great place, we stayed at Masson House due to its location which is great, it's quite close to Holyrood park and a 20 minute walk into the heart of Edinburgh. I wouldn't stay there again though, the room was quite small, the decor was very dated, the toilet/wet room was tiny and smelly. Beware check out is 10.30am which I never noticed when booking!! Overall it felt like a students room, but at least the bed was comfy.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We chose this accommodation based on price and location. We were visiting Edinburgh for a wedding and this was perfect walking distance from the venue. The halls are located right at the foot of Arthurs' seat; our room had a view, which was great! The room was a bit creaky and the wet room wasnt really to our taste but everything worked and was of a standard indicative of the price we paid. Breakfast was pretty hectic in the refectory, the food wasnt great but there was lots of choice and lots of food, the coffee wasn't good but free flowing. We got free parking, which was a bonus.
Overall, this was a good option for us given our reason for coming to Edinburgh. Its pretty basic and typical of student halls but there was nothing specific to complain about given the price we paid.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Stayed here while visiting the University. I did not pay for the room myself, so cannot comment on affordability, but the room was very comfortable. It was a bit small, but there is storage space, enough room on the floor for large suitcases, and a desk to sit at. Instant coffee and tea are provided in the room, as is Arran Aromatics shower gel, bath caps, shoe shine, a safe and good wireless internet. Check-in took quite a long time: several people came in at the same time, and there was only one person at the desk. The desk is staffed 24/7, though. One important bit of advice: do not forget to lock your room! It does not lock automatically when you close it!

Housekeeping is okay when they actually clean your room. I put up a 'do not disturb' sign for about an hour in the morning; housekeeping skipped my room and never came back that day (despite seeing me taking the sign off the door and walking out). My safe was locked when I came in, which also shouldn't happen.

Breakfast is a buffet with full Scottish (including lots of vegetarian options, such as vegetarian Haggis and sausages), cereals, juices, etc.; all good quality, but still a buffet, so not as good as having breakfast in one of the better cafes in town. A bit more fresh fruit would be welcome.

Finally, the location is good or very good, depending on what you are planning to do. Holyrood Park (with Arthur's Seat) is right next to the hotel, so it's easy to take a quick walk. The Royal Mile and the University's King's Buildings site are both about half an hour's walk away, but there are buses every few minutes too, and a taxi rank outside the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank ewah564
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Masson House – A Pleasant Surprise

Masson House is set in the grounds of Edinburgh University and accessed by car via the main entrance off Holyrood Park Road.  The security guard at the barrier will give you a parking permit card for hotel reception staff to complete.  The car park is next to Masson House.  Pedestrian access is via a walk through gate close to Masson House leading to Dalkeith Road.  We stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night, it was quiet and peaceful , it may be different at the weekends!  The double bed room was of a good size with tea and coffee making facilities and FreeView  TV.   Breakfast is included in the price in the self service restaurant a few blocks away.  There is an added bonus of leaving your car for a few hours after checkout if you still have things to do in Edinburgh.  Very good value for money when you consider the breakfast and car parking is included in the price.  Recommended

1  Thank Janice H
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We booked this hotel at short notice found staff helpful and the accommodation was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with a large range of food. We certainly found this value for money.

Room Tip: If your just looking for a clean comfortable reasonably priced room with no frills then this would s...