“Great Bed and Breakfast”

Auld Reekie Guest House
Ranked #51 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We were actually supposed to stay just down the road but due to a flood in our room we were moved to Auld Reekie and we couldn't have been happier. The owners were so helpful and friendly and our room had been recently painted and was very nicely decorated. The cooked breakfast was great and I would highly recommend this B&B if you are staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sydlisa

Reviewed December 19, 2009

Whenever I´m in Edinburgh, I stay at this guest house because Rhona and her husband
always make me feel at home. They are very, very friendly, helpful in every possible situation and they do everything to make sure that their guests have a wonderful stay.
The rooms are perfectly clean and I love the view over parts of Edinburgh from my window. This is quite a special place and I will always be back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Excellent place to stay in Edinburgh. Rooms clean and nicely done. Good breakfast too. Good service. We had a great stay in Edinburgh- what a fun place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2009

The Auld Reekie Guest House in Edinburgh is a beautiful house immaculately maintained, featuring clean, pleasant rooms, a perfect breakfast and a very friendly, endearingly crazy hostess. You won't find a hotel or guest house where you'll feel more welcome, and the building itself is situated a stone's throw from Edinburgh's major attractions. An added bonus is the free parking available in the block where Auld Reekie is situated.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We always stay here if we can when we are in Edinburgh as it is ideally situated, the rooms are clean and suit us and the owner is so friendly and helpful

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2009

was given a box room which was quite stuffy at night inspite of opening the window, the host was quite unwelcoming/grumpy compared to the hostess. wonder if he is like that to everybody? though the breakfast was good I did not find the stay comfortable due to unpleasant attitude of the host. Oh and by the way wifi signal on top nonexistent.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
RhonaEdinburgh, Owner at Auld Reekie Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2009

I was very upset to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us last May. I was also very sorry to hear that you felt my husband was unwelcoming when you arrived at the guest house. If this was the case, I can only apologise on his behalf. Regarding the free Wi-Fi that we provide for guest use, we have never had a complaint about the signal strength in any of the rooms. However, on reading this review I checked all the rooms personally for signal strength, and was able to connect to the internet in every room of the house. We realise that occasionally things can go wrong. We would always encourage our guests to let us know of any problems as soon as they arise, so that we have the opportunity to rectify them during their stay.

Reviewed November 10, 2008

I've been staying at the Auld Reekie Guest House for more than 10 years and I have never been disappointed.

Rhona is a very welcoming host and you are made to feel as though you are entering a home from home the minute you arrive.

The accommodation is immaculate and spotless. The beds are very comfortable and each room has a TV and hospitality tray. The ensuite bathrooms are excellent; some only have a shower but others have a bath and shower. All the showers are powerful.

The hot breakfast is cooked to order and there is also a selection of cereals, fresh fruit salad and orange juice on a mini-buffet.

The guest house is situated about 100 yards walk from the nearest bus stop and there is a frequent bus service to Princes Street (it takes around 10 minutes). The guest house is also conveniently located to attend the Festival Theatre.

The popularity of the Auld Reekie is obvious. Whenever I have stayed there, many of the other guests are return visitors.

I highly recommend the Auld Reekie Guest House to anyone who wants excellent quality accommodation close to the city centre in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)