Auld Reekie Guest House
    Prestonfield(Edinburgh)
    KM Central(Edinburgh)
    Good 3.5/5
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewsb bcity centrefriendly place to staybrisk walkfrequent bus servicea lovely staylovely guesthousetop floorthoroughly enjoyed our stayroom was largerecommend staying hereday ticketcomfortable bedrooms are cleanstay there againa short bus ridebreakfast was delicious
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed August 26, 2012

Location is very far from the heart of Edinburgh. The hospitality is extremely poor , we couldn't even enjoy our breakfast. Hostess even denied to give just one extra toast when requested as being pure veg person options were very limited. It was worst that if pay by credit card, rate exceeds by 4% and not written anywhere. Rooms and bathrooms were very very small and price is extremely high for such kinda rooms. Won't recommend anyone unless you don't find any place in edinburgh.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank Ajaynk
    RhonaEdinburgh, Owner at Auld Reekie Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Why oh Why ! Did you ask to stay another night after your breakfast? What a surprise to read your review after I stayed up to wait on you arriving. You arrived in the middle of August very late at night via the kindness of Anna who works for one of Britain’s leading hotel groups in the city centre as all city centre hotels where full, you refused to pay the going rate with full breakfast, she then telephone us back to say could we reduce the rate and still have breakfast, which we did due to the lateness of the hour you were then told that 1 room was available for 1 night but a smaller room was available for the next night which you agreed to pay at the same reduced rate. You did not pay credit card charge which is 2% that is written on the visitors registration form and in the booklet in your rooms. As for an extra piece of toast in a very busy breakfast room sorry I have no recall of refusing to give you this I would hate to think my hospitality could be put at risk over a piece of toast we have been complimented on our vegetarian breakfast in the past so again sorry it did not meet your standards. All our Rooms comply with Visit Scotland 4 star requirements.
    Rhona

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I had an absolutely lovely stay at Auld Reekie! I was traveling alone and opted, at the last minute, to stay in a B&B instead of a hostel, have a room of my own (and bathroom), and relax a bit. My room was lovely and airy, the bathroom was new, and my bed was made daily. The staff was very attentive -- for example, the day I arrived, there had been some construction in the street and the water had been shut off, so a complimentary 2L bottle of water was waiting at my bedside. Breakfast was lovely and Rhona could not have been more friendly. My garden view was friendly and beautiful, and the walk into town was full of shops and interesting things. There are also lots of buses going down the street, straight into the heart of the city. I really could not have asked for a better stay.

Room Tip: Rooms with a garden view are quieter, though I doubt the street side would be very loud. I opted for a double room for myself, because I wanted a larger bed and a private bathroom, but the single room (with a twin bed) is actually the only room with a bathtub, so that might be something to consider for solo travelers.
    • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
    Reviewed July 23, 2012

spent 2 nights here on a trip up to Edinburgh for a gig. Really easy to find, park and access into the city was a doddle! Rhona was such a nice genuine, down to earth hostess and was really helpful during our stay, treat you like an old friend and really welcome you into their home & city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here February, 2011 (no selection in drop down box?)

The Auld Reekie Guest House is a very lovely, comfortable guest house in Scotland! The owners, Rhona and Brian are lovely hosts. They treat you like family with their warm and welcoming way. They kids and grandkids are great too!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quaint with the feel of being at home look no further the Auld Reekie is the place to stay while in Edinburgh, Scotland. You will love being around Rhona and Brian. Great breakfast!!!
    • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in a twin room. The room was like a small luxury hotel room with updated bathroom and excellent beds. Rhona was the most fun host, always so friendly and positive, she always made our day! The food was excellent, the house was clean and we would stay again in a minute. - also the bus in front took us right downtown in a matter of a few minutes.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family