“Lovely hotel - worth a visit”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed here with my husband for a long weekend. I mentioned when booking that it was our wedding anniversary and we received a free room upgrade! The hotel is conveniently located walking distance to all the sights and only a few minutes walk from the train station. Our room was large, extremely comfortable, with everything you would need - huge TV, DVD player, massive bed and separate bath and shower.
The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and although we didn't eat in the restaurant we had a few drinks in the bar, which was lovely and very elegant. The spa and gym are small, but worth a visit if you have time.
The only downside was our hotel looked out onto Princes Street and despite being on the 9th floor, there was still a considerable amount of traffic noise, mainly due to a bus stop being just outside. It didn't keep us awake, but I think a room on the other side of the hotel would have been more pleasant. Overall though a great hotel and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,889)

Reviewed May 7, 2010

I came with my partner for a long weekend and we really enjoyed our stay there. Check in was swift and easy and we got good recommendations for tours from the check in staff and a drink while we waited because our room wasn't ready.

Bedrooms are very nice and the bed was very comfortable. HUGE flat screen TV with good choice of channels. The large walk in shower is very nice - I wish I had that at home! We took advantage of the hotel's spa, which has a swimming pool, sauna/steam room and a small gym with nice changing rooms and showers. If they would offer massages there this would be perfect.

The hotel is very well located but the main shops on Princes street is only a short stroll away, close to the train station and the old town.

Only faults we experienced is that the cleaning of the room was not consistent - the staff did sometimes not remove or replace dirty cups/glasses and sometimes did not replenish the shampoo/shower gel.
We tried the breakfast at the hotel restaurant which was fine - but I think they may have had a problem with the dishwasher at the time because many dishes, cups and cutlery were actually a bit dirty with food stains stuck on them.

Otherwise I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends and will definitely stay there again when I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scandilady
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I booked this hotel for myself and my wife to enjoy a weekend away for her birthday. We stayed from the Friday to the Sunday. In the lead up to our stay I had to contact the hotel to inform them that we would laso be bringing our two year old daughter. The hotel was very accommodating informing us that this would be no problem and that there would be no further charges. (plus she would eat for free - always a bonus)
Be aware there is no on-site parking for this hotel and the NCP car park they recommend to use is a short walk away. You get a hotel discount but it is still £16 a day. I would recommend doing a bit of research and parking elsewhere for free and getting the bus to the hotel - works out a lot cheaper.
Being from Edinburgh originally this didn't present a problem for us.
On arrival at the hotel booking in was quick and easy - the receptionist asked if we needed any info on attractions, buses,etc and also informed us if we planned to have breakfast then it would be £10 if we notified them before that morning rather than £14.
We had breakfast on the Saturday morning which wa excellent. The service was great for the hot food which you ordered from the menu and the buffet was also very good and had a wide variety of food to suit all tastes.
We were on the 7th floor and ended up being lucky enough to get a corner room which had a dual aspect view. Not the best of views but we were happy enough. The room was spacious and clean and the bathroom was huge with seperate walk in shower and large bath. Our daughter especially like the free duck you get to keep.
We ate out nearby on the Friday and were unlucky enough to find the hotel restaurant was fully booked for the Saturday night - I've only heard good reviews about it so will book early the next time we visit.
We used the Spa facilities which were good - the pool was small but enough to go for a light swim.
All in all I would highly recommend the hotel to others. The hotel is in a great position at the East end of Princes Street near to the Playhouse and St James Centre, and the bus system is the easiest way to get around. There is some light noise during the evening to nighttime from the local night life but remember you are staying in the heart of the city where it all happens.
Would recommend and we will be visiting again soon.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2010

While in Edinburgh, Scotland recently, I stayed at a newly renovated hotel by the name of Apex Waterloo.

Despite the fact that management had invested heavily in making the place look posh, the people behind the counter were in serious learning curve mode and not all seemed to be going “as planned.”

Case in point, they had been hit by extremely warm weather the dates of my stay, and, apparently, many newly-hired employees of the hotel were “calling in sick,” to take off to play instead of go to work (at least that’s what I was told by a member of the staff).
Because of this, routine amenities weren’t being restocked in guests’ rooms and the clean up of the rooms was haphazard at best.

When I remarked to the manager that this really was unacceptable for the type of hotel they were and the prices we were being charged, she apologized and reiterated the aforementioned reason of “disappearing staff due to the warm weather.”

Later that evening, I found a grand plate of warm chocolate chip cookies and a bottle of wine with a card that said “compliments of the hotel.”

That was completely unexpected. That type of overwhelming service is very appreciated, especially after a long day of sightseeing when all you want to do is relax, unwind, have a warm bath and enjoy a nice glass of wine!

Wishing more hotels would be this customer-attentive and guest-appreciative in Europe.

Great job Apex Hotel Waterloo!
Apex Waterloo Place Hotel, Edinburgh
www.apexhotels.co.uk
23 Waterloo Place
Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh EH1 3, United Kingdom
0131 666 5124

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed at the Apex for 2 nights on 29th and 30th April. Very much enjoyed our stay. The room, a standard double, was spacious and spotlessly clean. My boyfriend was particularly impressed with the huge TV on the wall!

Facilities were good - we didn't use the hotel restaurant but enjoyed an afternoon in the spa and gym.

By pre-paying for our room we got a much more reasonable price so I would definitely recommend this option.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Stayed here for three nights on our way home from Inverness. What a fantastic hotel in a perfect location !!
We were given an upgrade on check in ( we were celebrating our wedding anniversary ) and even a voucher for free drinks as our room wasn't ready when we arrived. Our room was exceptionally clean,large and spacious with the most comfortable beds and pillows we've ever had in a hotel. The breakfast was superb- food nicely cooked and well presented and excellent quick service - we never had to wait for a table. Every member of staff we encountered were so friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make sure our stay at Waterloo Place wasa memorable one - it certainly was !
The leisure facilities were heaven - the sauna, steam room and swimming pool was the ideal place after a long day sightseeing around Edinburgh.
This was our first stay at an Apex hotel but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Thank you Apex Waterloo Place for a fantastic few days and congratulations to all the staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have just come back from a two night stay at this hotel and I would 100% recommend it to my friends & family.

Location wise its brillant only a two minute walk from the train station and 10 minutes from the shops, bars and restaurants on George Street.

The hotel is very contemporary and the staff are always more than happy to help.

Our room had a large flat screen, TV with a great selection of channels. The beds are extremely comfy too!

All in all a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends