“A great stay”

Ranked #33 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“A great stay”
Reviewed November 7, 2009

A great contemporary hotel with excellent service and friendly, professional staff. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Eastleigh
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Stumbled across this hotel but we were lucky we did as it turned out to excellent and great value for money. It a great location, easy to get to, immaculate and the staff very helpful. We loved it and will try the Apex hotels in other locations now. R

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2009

What a great place. Perfect location - 5 mins' walk to Waverley Station and 10 mins' to the Royal Mile - you won't be able to find a better location in city centre Edinburgh.

Stayed two nights in a city that I once called home for five years. I enjoyed the spa and pool, and the bar and restaurants are first class. The bedroom - ultra cool and contemp., with big-screen TV and comfy bed. Cool walk-in shower too!

The gym could be bigger but, hey, who's complaining?!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank UKAmericano
Aberdeen
Reviewed October 31, 2009

I planned to stay at this hotel as a conference I was attending was being held there. First I emailed reservations asking for a delegate rate. I got their standard rate back with no mention of the delegate rate. I then rang reservations and was told that there was a delegate rate but Angela, their reservation manager didn't believe I was attending the conference and refused to give me the delegate rate, it's always nice to be called a liar by a hotel staff member. I had to go back to the society for the code then call the hotel back, which I did. I was then quoted a price that was actually MORE than the NON-DELEGATE rate I was quoted the day before! I was stunned and extremely angry.

Angela then proceeded to give me a lengthy justification, the likes of which I have never been subjected to before, on why their up and down pricing policy was in fact ethical, "hotels are like airlines, we could charge £300 for the room on the night".

So I was attending a conference, had a delegate booking code, they had raised the price from the day before after calling me a liar. If they had an ounce of decency they would offer me the rate they had quoted the day before, when Angela called me a liar, but to my complete dismay Angela was adamant that I was being charged the higher rate! After all, they could not allocate the room and charge £300 for the room on the night!

I travel and stay in hotels frequently with work. I will not stay in an Apex hotel, period since I find it hard to believe that this attitude is not standard throughout their chain. I can't imagine one staff member would be allowed to operate in such a way unchecked if it was not the hotel ethos. The cut-throat attitude of reservation staff at this hotel has greatly disappointed me.

I booked another nearby hotel for attending the conference, only slightly cheaper but I got a sense of HONESTY when I spoke to staff, I didn't feel like I was being taken for a mug with hotel room roulette and most importantly, staff didn't call me a liar then raise the price after I got the code they insisted on, unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank businesstraveller042
UK
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Booked this for my boyfirends birthday as we were going to see Al Murray at the Edinburgh playhouse.
Hotel is just round the corner from the Playhouse, so was ideal.
The hotel is amazing, very modern and the staff were very nice and helpful.
The room was a bit small but has nice touches like a big walk in shower and a 42" tv. Our room was at the back and looked onto scaffolding which was a bit disappointing but for all the time your in your room, it wasn't a huge problem.
Breakfast was lovely, plenty to choose from the menu. Staff are very professional.
The swimming pool, sauna and steam room looked amazing. The only problem was the swimming pool was absolutely freezing, it took a while before I built up the courage to go in. All the guests were commenting on it. Most people were in and out in a minute. There must have been a problem with the heating.
Hotel is central: princes street, castle etc are all walking distance.
Overall, we loved this hotel and will definately be back!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank _-_L4UR4_-_
london
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed at the Apex Waterloo at the end of our Scottish scenic rail trip (see other reviews)
We had asked Apex for a high level, quiet room - it was our thirtieth wedding anniversary.
On arrival we were upgraded to a very large well- equipped room in the older part of the building - beautiful decor and features.
Staff were continually pleasant and helpful. The hotel facilities are excellent ,we used the lovely pool area and the bar.
Edinburgh itself has a terrific atmosphere and lovely people (as we found throughout Scotland). Certainly, both the the hotel and city are places to return to.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This hotel made our short stay in Edinburgh very memorable and pleasant for everyone in our party of nine ranging from Grandma to a one year old baby. The hotel is beautiful, clean modern lines and contempory feel but still retaining a warm friendly atmosphere. The rooms were large and very clean (our party used three rooms and they were all of the same high standard). The bathrooms were a joy and my three small neices had great fun in the large bath with the Apex rubber duck! The very large seperate walk in shower was wonderful and very powerful - certainly blew the cobwebs away!

We all made use of the hotel's swimming pool which was small but perfectly formed with several skylights letting in natural light which was a very nice feature as was the heated floor and heated loungers - plenty of clean towels available too. The gym was small but had all you would need for a quick work out.

We booked dinner, bed and breakfast and we were glad we did. The food was lovely and the children were very well catered for (in fact the menu for the children was very well thought out with two sizes of portions on offer which was great for my 6 year old neice who has a good appetite and her 3 year old sister who doesn't eat as much). The boiled egg with toast soldiers was a big hit as was the delicious homemade icecream!

The hotel location was superb. A very short walk from Waverly train station and a short stroll away from Jenners and Harvey Nics (for those interested in shopping) and a 5 min walk over the North Bridge puts you on the Royal Mile - couldn't have been better placed for our party. Our room overlooked a building which is currently being renovated but the excellent sound proofing ment that we were not inconvenienced by the workers in the slightest.

The hotel staff were excellent. Very warm and friendly and couldn't do enough to help. Everytime we returned to the hotel one of the receptionist offered to help with baby buggy, bags etc - they really went out of their way to make us comfortable.

To summerise, we all enjoyed our stay at the Apex Waterloo and it would definately be the first hotel we would all try to rebook on our next visit to Edinburgh (my 6 year old neice enjoyed her stay so much she told me she wants to go there everyday!). Totally recommended!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family