“Excellent Hotel, Couldn't be better!”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #32 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel, Couldn't be better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights with my partner. We had a top floor room which was very nicely decorated and quiet. Everything was finished to a good standard, then shower was powerful and there were Elemis toiletries. Nice touch! The location was a 2 minute walk from the station and great for sight seeing.

Staff were all extremely professional and friendly. I didn't eat at the hotel but had drinks in the bar on a couple of occasions and it was lovely.

I'd definitely stay here again and recommend to anybody!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights, have to say, everything was excellent, the staff are extremely helpful, the room spotless, and the bar and other areas all match the star rating.

Would stay here again without hesitation, thank you Apex!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Apex Waterloo is a first class hotel, the rooms are very stylish and most important the beds are quite comfortable. They are on the softer side, so if you like your beds firm as the earth, you may not like them. The rooms as well appointed and fairly quiet. Aside from a family that decided to leave to go somewhere and have a very loud conversation about it at 4:00am this morning, it's been quite nice. The desk staff are very helpful and have been able to address every question we've thrown at them. There are a few resturants near by and many more within about 10 minutes walk. There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel that will get you to many locations. The rooms have all of the standard amenties you expect, a safe, tea/coffee, iron, t.v., etc, as well as a proponderance of pillows - you'll see what I mean :)

This is not a budget hotel and breakfast is not included, nor is the hotel breakfast cheap. I recommend a nice grilled croissant just down the street at the Fodder and Pog just down the street.

Room Tip: The main floor of the hotel where the receiption desk is located is floor 5. I recommend a floor abo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian G
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

The merit of this hotel is its proximity to Waverley Station. Once you navigate through the never-ending tram roadworks at edges of Princes Street, Waterloo Place appears as a charming late Georgian Street, but it is empty of any interesting shops or restaurants. The interior of the hotel aims for a sort of modernist, boutique style common to any town hotel anywhere. Like most Scottish hotels, the staff are almost exclusively Eastern European, still honing their service skills. By one, I was told I could not eat dinner in the restaurant at 7pm and that I should return at 8pm and she asked what my name was to make the booking. She seemed surprised when I said I did not want to eat there after all. Odd other handicaps frayed my humour - eeding the telephone speaker to be repaired for a conference call, no reply when dialling the operator. This left the impression that no one was really in charge. One leaving I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay, a good question if you want to know the answer, which the receptionist did not. She just printed my bill with a shrug. I sense Edinburgh hotels can struggle with fluctuations in capacity and demand which can mean perhaps there is not a consistency of training and organisation. But there are also other, enjoyable places to stay with character in and around George Street, say, with more choice of interesting places to dine out. If you had an early train to catch and not too fussed about service or charm, maybe Apex could fit the bill.

Room Tip: Ask what the window of the room looks out towards. One guest before me also asked to have his room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Angus C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel a couple of times over the last few weeks fir business, though this last week was awful, for done reason upOn check in I had 3 separate bookings instead of 1 3 night checking requiring me to check in each night, on the Wednesday morning I came to iron my shirt and the iron didn't work

I then tried to unplug the iron and the back just dropped off leaving the exposed wires bare, due to the fact the plug was plastic and flexible as the back came off in my hand my finger flinched and created a circuit and got electrocuted fortunately I had dried my feet so I was earthed

Burns up my thumb and feeling sick for 2 days, what threw me however was the lack of concern with the managers when I checked back in that night there wasn't question if I was ok, I had to specifically ask them if I was still in the room and was it safe, the same manager then the next morning actually asked me to sign the bill rather than use chip and pin !!! How can I sign something whilst I had burns on my thumb which I can't even bend !!!

The plug had been recently checked and had the sticker for safety checks so I am unclear how I could have avoided the accident so it's best to avoid the hotel until they sort out their unsafe practises

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Heffstar
Galway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I attend the Fringe annually and for the last two years have used this hotel. Its a great location where quality of rooms is very good and service is friendly. The bar area could be considered a little cold but service was good and plenty of space. The location is very central to all activities in the city and very close to all travel services.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paddymc999
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed 4 nights at the Waterloo Apex in a mixed rainy sunny September. Arrived very late and desk were very friendly and helpful. No car park but the NCP is close with a discount not sure what it was but pulled the car out a couple of times and the charge was only £12 each time which I think might be a maximum stay charge. Breakfasts overpriced and if you want something simple I'd recommend popping round to Starbucks (take the lift to 0 and use the rear door (unusually reception is on the 5th floor due to the hotel being on the slope). Rooms very comfortable with decent size flat screen and decent bathrooms. We used meeting room a couple of times and very useful friendly service with again excellent facilities for small group business meetings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business