“Very good hotel, great location, friendly staff”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel, great location, friendly staff”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

The hotel was in a perfect location for guests arriving by train, only 5-10 minute walk from Waverley Station. Situated in the new town but only a short walk to the historic part of the city.

The staff were very accommodating and friendly and although we arrived too early to check in they took our bags and set up a text message to be sent when the room was ready which was a nice touch!

The room itself was spacious, beautifully decorated and immaculately clean, as was the hotel in general. The spa was a great asset and was great to relax in the sauna/jacuzzi after a long day sightseeing!

We didn't eat in the restaurant but enjoyed drinks in the bar on both nights which had a great atmosphere and attentive staff.

All in all I would say this a great hotel to stay for a weekend break if you're looking for a really comfortable room and somewhere a bit special with nice details.

If I could fault it in any way, the only negative I could mention would be that the shower was quite cold and the view wasn't great (overlooks a courtyard), however these are only minor details which in truth didn't affect our stay there at all.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Too many hotels are disappointing, this one was not. Its a great location for everything in Edinburgh, staff friendly and helpful, clean and comfortable. The spa is small, but perfectly good- treatments were excellent and the facilities spotless. The room wasn't huge but had everything you need including a decent shower and one of the most comfortable beds EVER. One of the things I liked most about it was that it was very modern inside, without ruining all the Georgian featured downstairs (like the windows, fireplace etc). Good value- go.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CerysF F
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have just come back from another overnight stay at this hotel and every time it does not let me down. Stylish surroundings and staff that could not be more helpful and who will stop and listen to what you have to say. It's a very difficult thing to maintain a personal, warm atmosphere in any hotel let alone one of this size so I can only commend the Apex for doing so. Not only in the Apex Waterloo but in their other hotels too. The only ones I have not stayed in yet are in London but intend to do so. Comfy beds, good sized rooms and a beautiful pool, what it lacks in size it makes up for in setting and atmosphere. My daughter and I love this place and always return back. The vegetarian option at breakfast is great, offering a full veggie hot breakfast as well as the continental. Keep it up Apex!

Room Tip: If you ask for one of the rooms on the upper floors they tend to be lighter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Alsace
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed with a friend at the Apex Waterloo for three nights and we had two quite rooms not facing the street. We really enjoyed the location of the hotel, close to everything and the refurbishment done in a modern style. Every part of the hotel is pleasant to see and the bar and the restaurant are exactly what we were expecting from this place.

The reception team answered quickly the email that I sent to get some more informations. The rooms we had were quiet and pretty including a broad flat TV. Two free bottles of water are available in the minibar and you can have a reduced room service menu if you are arriving after 11pm (but no desert is possible after 11pm). A more developped offer exists if you order before.

As far as I am concerned, the breakfast is quite good but should include more proteins in the standard offer at 11£, for example some classic ham or white parts of eggs instead of the italian ham that I found less nutritious and containing too much fat. You can get few more proteins if you order for 4£ a special dishe as the salmon (very few and coming with the yellow part of the eggs) or other dishes but I think this point could be improved. It was important for us as we did not have the time to eat for lunch so we were expecting a complete meal at the buffet.

A good point is the business center with a free permanent access to the Internet.

I recommend the Apex Waterloo because this hotel has a lot of assets and is good value for money, the staff is very polite and efficient and you will leave the place with a global smile.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Myself and my husband booked a spa break here, firstly the service and staff were amazing, our room was beautiful, our meal was lovely and breakfast was a absolute treat, we booked the back massage in a double room, and we were so relaxed we couldn't be bothered leaving the hotel later on, I cannot recommend this break enough, and we're allready planning our next visit, but hopefully we will have a extended stay,

• Stayed January 2012
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I have just come back from Edinburgh – I went for my birthday and had a wonderful time. I stayed at the Waterloo place hotel and thought it was amazing and beautiful. The staff are lovely and very helpful – from how to get around to recommendations on where to go. The room we staying in was a deluxe room and it was gorgeous and very comfortable, with lovely views of the city. The hotel itself is in a great location – not far from the station but also very close to Princess street and George street – where we spent most of our time, either shopping or going out for a drink, I had breakfast one morning and the food was excellent – I didn’t try the bar, but it was always busy and had a lovely chandelier as a focal point. While we were in Edinburgh we went on a Ghostly underground tour – with Mercat Tours and we were scared out of our wits (in a great way) and went to Edinburgh zoo – which I recommend highly. For nightlife I loved ‘Le monde’ and a great bar/restaurant called Candy.
I love Edinburgh, the city itself is great and so are the people, from what I experienced.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Deluxe room, i managed to get an upgrade - it was really lovely and a great size esp...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abi M
wimbledon
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed at the Apex Waterloo many times over the summer and autumn of 2011 and never regretted my choice. Its well located near the Balmoral end of Princes Street and is therefore within walking distance of all the best bits of Edinburgh. The interior of the hotel is modern and stylish, the rooms are large and elegant and the suites very good indeed with lovely bathrooms, big TVs, DVD players, ipod docking stations, wifi and all the other bits and pieces you come to expect from top hotels. The breakfast is good and the staff friendly and helpful. Everything is spotless.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front on the lower floors can suffer from street noise in the summer as the early morni...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business