Have just returned from a long new year's weekend, and have to say we were super impressed with the Apex Waterloo.
We stayed in a deluxe double room on the 10th floor (identical to the one shown on the hotel's official website). When we walked in we were both over the moon: spacious, comfortable, perfect lighting, nice temperature (easily adjusted if it gets too warm), a massive bed with tonnes of cushions that deserved to be dived onto as soon as our bags hit the floor, a lovely modern bathroom with a huge tub and separate standing shower. And lots of nice touches too (not limited to an ipod dock/clock, espresso machine, complimentary jelly beans and cookies, the infamous duck, oh and a 40 inch flatscreen TV). When booking the room we'd paid for a bottle of champagne too, which was chilled and waiting in the room - the icing on the cake really.
The hotel staff were always very helpful and friendly, for example, when we decided to order from the breakfast room service a little later than the stated hours, the kitchen staff had no hesitation in delivering to our room what was a truly epic breakfast. Unfortunately we forgot our bathing suits so didn't get a chance to use the pool and spa facilities, but we'll definitely have a go on our next visit.
There were a couple of minor niggles: one being the lack of a toilet brush in the bathroom (use your imagination, or not!), the other being that on one morning the staff preparing/cleaning other rooms on the floor were quite noisy, shutting doors loudly and talking loudly in the corridors.
That aside, as my first experience of Edinburgh I couldn't have asked for more - the hotel is in a perfect central location, yet the area around the hotel is not noisy or crowded at all, with very little traffic. To get there from Edinburgh airport it took 20 minutes in a taxi at rush hour, and the train station is also literally two minutes walk away from the hotel - leave via the secret back door on the 'bottom' floor (the signs in the elevator make it clear this is the way to get to the station) but just look out for the steps across the road leading up to the station, as they're easy to miss.
If you too are a newcomer to Edinburgh it's also a good spot if you want to do some wandering, with the monuments and castle very close by, and Princes Street literally down the road. As for Hogmanay, it's an ideal spot for the dawdle back after the festivities have come to an end, and reassuringly there was actually a 'bouncer' on the door to stop unwanted revellers from entering the hotel!
Top class, we really rate this hotel and would love to come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in one of Edinburgh’s best spots at the east end of Princes Street, Apex Waterloo Place Hotel is within walking distance of the famous Edinburgh Castle and is just a few minutes’ walk from Calton Hill. George Street and The Royal Mile are also close by in this compact city centre. The classic Georgian architecture complemented by contemporary interiors make this hotel unique. Each bedroom is spacious and includes a 42” TV, complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, bath and/or walk-in shower and Elemis toiletries. As a guest, you’ll also get complimentary use of the leisure facilities. An indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room and Technogym make the perfect place to relax or escape from the stresses of everyday life. Time for more? Pamper yourself with an Elemis treatment at PURE Spa & Beauty. You can choose from a wide selection of restaurants and bars throughout the city during your stay, many of which are close by in the George Street area. If you’re looking for a traditional Scottish dish and a cosy bar away from the bustle of the town, look no further than Elliot’s Restaurant & Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apex Waterloo Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex Waterloo Place Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex Waterloo Place
- Apex Waterloo Place Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland