We stayed here for a week in September, celebrating our anniversary
The Pros: close to attractions (the Royal Mile, etc.), train station, restaurants, and shopping.
The Cons: (1) heating/ac range is too limited. Our initial room was too warm to sleep and small fans provided didn't help; bed had duvet rather than sheet and blanket so thick duvet cover added to warmth (no sheet); (2) our initial room was too noisy--one floor above the main street with single-paned glass. We could hear cars, buses, pedestrians (including those who had been drinking). Hotel staff response: "All the rooms are noisy; we're in the city"; "Don't worry, the noise goes away by 1 a.m." Eventually, the manager moved us to another side of the hotel with double-paned glass and much farther from the street. Note: 5th floor is street level on the main drag, falls in back multiple floors. (3) Some of the staff were great, such as Alan, the concierge, a female woman manager (whose name we can't remember), and several others. A few of the desk people were irritating (4) Lounge/bar area doesn't have rugs or curtains and noise reverberates. It's fine when people are chatting quietly, miserable when people get drunk and loud (5) Numerous small irritations: (a) bathroom: the frosted glass bathroom door in the first room opened directly to the bedroom, lighting up the bedroom anytime someone was in the bathroom, and the shower floor's grout had turned black; insufficient bathroom light for makeup (b) small reception area: the appearance of tour groups meant we sometimes had to wait for them to pass to get to the outside door or to go to our room when we returned (c) business area: hotel has 2 computers to use if you can't use your own and they are very, very slow, plus the light in the business area is motion-activated which can be disconcerting (d) the fire alarm went off while we were in our initial room and we had go to toward the INSIDE from the our hall area to get to the steps (e) the second room did not have an electrical outlet on one side of the bed (f) the first room was a connecting room and we immediately expressed concern when we were assigned the room while the staff person insisted that the walls and door were thick and we would hear nothing--yet one night we had to listen to a woman with a bad cough and a child (?) who kept trying to open the connecting door. Not fun.
In short, not a hotel we would stay at again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in one of Edinburgh’s best spots at the east end of Princes Street, Apex Waterloo Place Hotel is within walking distance of the famous Edinburgh Castle and is just a few minutes’ walk from Calton Hill. George Street and The Royal Mile are also close by in this compact city centre. The classic Georgian architecture complemented by contemporary interiors make this hotel unique. Each bedroom is spacious and includes a 42” TV, complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, bath and/or walk-in shower and Elemis toiletries. As a guest, you’ll also get complimentary use of the leisure facilities. An indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room and Technogym make the perfect place to relax or escape from the stresses of everyday life. Time for more? Pamper yourself with an Elemis treatment at PURE Spa & Beauty. You can choose from a wide selection of restaurants and bars throughout the city during your stay, many of which are close by in the George Street area. If you’re looking for a traditional Scottish dish and a cosy bar away from the bustle of the town, look no further than Elliot’s Restaurant & Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apex Waterloo Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex Waterloo Place Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex Waterloo Place
- Apex Waterloo Place Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland