“Service disruption but great venue”

The Caley Picture House
Ranked #38 of 251 Quick Bites in Edinburgh
Neighborhood: West End
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A bit unusual to order food at the bar for us Canadians but waitstaff told us what to do and that service was very slow. Had a small Scottish breakfast. Hit the spot. Bottom less coffee cup.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (511)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Delicious breakfast in a stunning venue, no detail unnoticed. Staff were warm and engaging, loved it!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First of all the whole atmosphere of the place is stunning and was what made us go in the first place. Maybe we should've expected it but since the place is a big hall be aware it is really loud there.
The ordering process confused us a little at the start and we often felt slightly ignored when we wanted to ask a waiter. But eventually we figured everything out and had good food and drinks.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Steeped in History we came across the Caley Picture house by accident. So many original features have been kept or restored a unique venue for a drink or two whilst on a recent Edinburgh visit - definitely worth popping in!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly I will say that the young man who looked after us and gave a refund for my meal was amazing. So well done him.
However. I can’t give anything above the lowest rating because of the dreadful food, and you guys need to know!

We arrived all excited! We are Wetherspoon fans anyway and we were super impressed with the building here, wowweeeee:
So, husband ordered vege bangers and mash, he enjoyed it, although it was only later on we realised it was actually pretty expensive for what it was.
Me? I went for the special chicken burger with Brie and smoky chilli jam.
So when it arrived mine looked amazing. Fab onion rings - and looking under the bun top there were luscious layers of Brie. Lots of gorgeous Brie ... but for some reason it wasn’t melting. Then I cut a bit of chicken, it was cool. I touched it. It was a mixture of cool and Luke warm.

So we called the chap, he apologised and said we would get a fresh one. We could see the chef putting onion rings onto plates with his hands through the open kitchen (uugghh?) and then my food was re-presented.
Big rubbery chicken, but hot. Sprinkled crumbs of someone’s leftover Brie vaguely scattered. Uuuggghhhhhh.

I was just going to leave it. But the lively young chap came and asked it it was ok, so my husband prompted me, no. Not ok.
We got a refund as I didn’t want to stay any more. Angry chef was already looking like a seriously bad option for a third attempt, so we left.

Would we go back!?!?
Definitely not.
What a shame as it’s beautiful