“Would certainly visit again”
Review of Wildfire

Wildfire
Ranked #34 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We enjoyed our meal at Wildfire and were impressed with the service and the food.

When I called to book, they informed me that they would need our table back by 9pm, which was fine as we showed up at 6.30pm. Having said that, not at any point did we feel rushed to leave or eat up fast, infact we stayed till 9pm and even then weren't pushed out of the restaurant.

Apart from that, the food was divine. I had the special starter of salmon parcels with fennel and apple, which was so tasty. My partner had the butternut squash and coconut soup, which was also very tasty. For our mains we had steaks which were cooked just the right way and we even indulged in dessert of Orange & Grand Marnier crème brûlée with homemade shortbread, it was divine.

My partner had an ale called Dark Island to wash all the lovely food down with and he highly recommends this too.

All in all, 2 x 3 course meal with drinks came to £75, which we felt was worth it, considering our mains were steaks. Would certainly come back here again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,052)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've found it hard to find a place that doesn't overcook their steaks. This is definitely one of them!

The waitress was kind enough to fit us in at the last open table that was reserved 1 1/2 hours later. The Steak was fantastic, and there are a few well priced wines to match. Starters and puddings were not noteworthy, but decent.

Service was a bit slow, as it took 1 1/2 hours to finish (not a problem normally, but we were being rushed at the end even though we ordered very quickly to ensure they could fulfill their reservation). The prices are also quite high, but it is justified by the quality and the atmosphere.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was our first evening in Edinburgh after fkying over from the USA. We were strolling along Rose Street - where you can't spit without hitting restaurant(ewww). We were drawn to Wildfire mainly because it wasn't too crowded and it wasn't noisy - also because it had an interesting menu.

I had the catch of the day, pan fried bream with *fresh* peas, bacon, pearl onions and potatoes in a cream sauce. When asked, the waitress infomed me bream had a mild flavor, similar to sea bass - and she was right. The fish was firm and flaky with the edges of the skin slightly crisp - a wedge of lemon helped to enhance the taste. The vegetables were excellent, I only wish I had had the appetite to eat them all.

My wife chose eat vegetarian, the Morrocan Sweet Potato with chick peas and spinach tagine - and she's not a big fan of cooked spinach. She thought the dish was one of the best vegetarian meals she's ever had - my sampling found me in agreement. The dish was well acommpanied by cucumbers in - what she thought might be - sour cream, and - surprisingly - garlic bread.

The chef has a light hand with the salt permitting the natural flavors of the food to come out. The kitchen uses really fresh ingredients - my peas were not the normal canned, over cooked ones from English cooking humour. (I know, I know - Scotland is not England, I was using the closest UK cooking humour I know,) My one quibble was I thought the sweet potato dish could have been a little spicier - my wife disagrees.

The food service was surprisingly fast - the bill processing less so. As to my question mark on the subject line. I noticed several younger people trun away when they saw the prices, but for the prices we're used to at a decent restaurant in the USA, they were definately comparable. We walked in on a Friday evening about 1900hrs, by the time we left at 2030hrs, they were turning customers away who did not have reservations.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had dinner at Wildfire together with my girlfriend and my parents. What a delightful dinner. I got salmon on mashed potatoes with pesto and sundried tomatoes. Kind of a weird combination, but it tasted fantastic. My dad had the same dish and was equally happy.
My girlfrind and mother got one of the steaks which also was a tasteful experience.

The desserts were nice as well although not as good as the main courses.
Furthermore we got the table by the entrance which was a bit annoying because people continued to come in asking for tables.

All in all though this was the best british meal we had during our two week stay in Britain.
I can also highly recommend the beer called Nimbus, which I got at Wildfire. What a fantastic beer!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Dined here recently, and it was fantastic.

Brilliant service, waitress very friendly.

Great wine menu and not being that clued up our wine was chosen for us, and it was perfect.

Steak (fillet) was simply fantastic, perfectly cooked, tender, i almost regret getting a sauce.

Great value for money as well, i'll certainly consider here again!