“my colleagues were impressed; I was ambivalent”
Review of Wildfire

Wildfire
Ranked #32 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went to Wildfire with high hopes as it is rated on TripAdvisor as the best steak place in Edinburgh. The restaurant itself is small (could fit approx 40 people) and perfectly pleasant with quite a cosy feel. Service was pleasant and unobtrustive. All good so far. The food did dissappoint though. I had prawns to start which were very nice themselves but rather blandly served. The steak for the main course was overcooked and rarely tasteless (ordered medium rare so expected at least a tinge of pink in the middle, it came as medium-welldone). The chips were shoestring fries, don't expect any grand beef dripping chips or triple chopped sprayed with truffle here. The sauce was passable; nothing more.

Why then the four stars? My colleagues really liked it, and their steaks did look a lot better than mine. Without their influence I would have given it a three star. For me , don't go expecting to be wowed. Perhaps on a good day in the same league as Gaucho; and a large gap down from Hawksmoor and Goodman.

2  Thank ruarih
Write a ReviewReviews (2,072)

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We only stayed in Edinburgh for a weekend so had three main meals. This was the cheapest but the best. Lovely atmosphere and very good food. Ian particularly loved his bread & butter pudding (and he doesn't usually have a pud.) Waitress seemed a bit shy, but had a lovely smile.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

i took my fiancee to edinburgh for a couple of days to celebrate her birthday & beforehand i saw this restaurant on tripadvisor rated highly by previous visitors.
so i emailed the wildfire to ask if i could have a table for my fiancee's birthday & received a prompt response from them no problem they said we will book you in.
now to the food, i had a ribeye steak with chips & a blue cheese sauce which was top drawer! the birthday girl made the best choice though she had a fillet steak with pepper sauce & chips to say i was jealous was an understatement!!
the piece i tasted was so tender cooked medium rare it just melted in my mouth! i normally have my steak cooked rare but this was gorgeous! i just wish the missus had needed the toilet so i could have eaten the rest of her steak & mine!!!
best wishes to john the maitre d' excellent host & top craic!! one last thing don't leave edinburgh before eating at wildfire you'd be mad to miss it!!!

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We found this restaurant via trip advisor and what a great find. We booked before we arrived and glad we did as the restaurant was full for the evening (sat). The food was delicious, we had haggis and salmon cristini for starters, rib eye steak, perfectly medium rare and a tart lamb shank in a gorgeous red wine and rosemary sauce. Do try and leave room for the desserts homemade perfection. Our waitress a lovely lady from the isle of sky was very attentive and made sure we had everything we wanted. Make sure you visit this lovely find for great Scottish food and hospitality. Enjoy as we did.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

What an amazing meal. Black pudding with apple to start followed by lamb shank with the best mash I've ever tasted! The meat was melt in the mouth and the gravy was rich and tasty. My husband had seafood chowder followed by steak which was probably the best steak I've tried. The restaurant is small and cosy with a lovely atmosphere. I'm so glad I booked in advance as the notice on the door said fully booked.... No wonder its full as the staff are lovely. Great wine and beer to choose from. The cheese board (at another diners table) looked amazing.
Thanks for a lovely meal.