“Best B & B we have stayed”
Review of Millers 64

Millers 64
Ranked #80 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
DC
“Best B & B we have stayed”
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Louise, Shona, and Sally made the trip perfect. They were very friendly, professional, and accommodating - giving us ideas for places to visit, setting up dinner and taxi reservations, laughing with us after a long day on the town, and the best breakfasts ever. We had six people in our party and we all felt we were at home. If you are traveling with six people just know that four will be sharing a large bedroom, although it was not a problem for us because the pull out couch was surprisingly comfortable. The bus route was very convenient to get in and out of town with a bus stop directly outside the front door. We highly recommend Millers 64 and can't wait for a return visit!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Middlesbrough
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Beautiful rooms, wonderful breakfasts, friendly service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed June 14, 2009

If you are someone who loves boutique hotels and top quality guesthouses with character, style and warmth, then Millers 64 is the place to go. Upon arrival I was met by Sally, Shona's (the owners) mum. She was fabulous - welcoming, kind and helpful. I was shown to my room (I was very early turning up, but had given them warning and they were accommodating) and was pleasantly surprised. The detail in everything was noticible - beautiful big bed with crisp linen, beautiful interior design features (lightshade, flat screen television, wooden verticle blinds). The bathroom had a gorgeous hammered metal sink, quality toiletries, a shower to beat the band, and a bath.

The highlight was undoubtedly the breakfast. A menu was left on my bed the evening before, with a selection that would surpass the normal guest houses staple of big-fry-up. Nothing wrong with a fry up, but when I came down to the delighful breakfast room, with home made jam and marmalade on offer, freshly squeezed orange juice, BBC Radio 5 playing gently in the background, and hot, freshly ground coffee, I was in heaven. The piece de resistance was the brioch french toast, dear God, with maple syrup. Sublime.

As you can see I am mightly impressed with this guesthouse. I travel a lot, and have stayed in many many different accomodations, from 5 star hotels in Havana, to huts in Mauritius. What I ALWAYS want is a bit of style, a friendly welcome, a comfortable nights sleep, and some good traditional food. Millers 64 gives you this, in what has to be one of the top guest houses around.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2009

What can I say, the sisters made us feel right at home and what a beautiful home it is! Very lucky to have been recommended this place by friends… it’s a real find and will make any trip to Edinburgh memorable. Plus, the breakfast is brilliant.

5 big stars as I can’t fault it!

• Liked — Feeling at home
  • Disliked — Nothing at all.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 22, 2008

This is the best B&B we have ever stayed in anywhere. It was a perfect retreat from the hectic bustle of the Edinburgh Festival which was in full swing during our stay, although Millers64 is only just out of the very centre and an easy walk in and out. The rooms are fresh and new with beautifully understated decor and furnishings. My wife was 8 months pregnant when we stayed so the high level of comfort was very welcome - extremely comfortable beds and a family sized shower!
Breakfast was a feast of home-made Scottish delights; organic, locally sourced and a wonderful start to a busy day. Millers64 is run by a mother-and-two-daughter team (including a registered childminder): they are warm and welcoming with a great knowledge of everything Edinburgh has to offer, from funky bars and restuarants through to more traditional side. Our kids (5+7) loved it too - especially the garden and the home-baked bread.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed September 15, 2008

I can't rate Milers 64 highly enough- you have to see it to believe it- location, décor, food and service are all out of this world.

Location is perfect! Close to the centre, only £4.50 in a taxi from Waverly Station and on the number 11 bus route which takes you from Millers 64 to the heart of town in 15 minutes, door to door for just over £1! Set on Pilrig Street you are only minutes away from the buzz of city life yet somehow Millers 64 feels a world away from the hustle and bustle and is a truly relaxing place to be.

Décor is stunning! Beautifully restored wooden floors and fireplace in the hallway lead to the staircase where the accommodation is situated on the first level. Our room faced onto the back of the house with views over the lovely garden. Beautifully decorated, with solid, stylish furniture, our room boasted the biggest and comfiest bed ever! Luxurious bedding means this really does feel more like a hotel than a B&B. The clever blinds make for a black out effect, which combined with the comfy mattress ensures a totally relaxing stay. The bathroom is huge and immaculate, with a both bath and shower and the bespoke sink and taps just add to the luxury. I loved the carefully selected bathroom products (Molton Brown & Au Lait), and the quality hairdryer made such a welcome change from having to “make do” when you’re away from home. Other stunning touches in the room included an orchid by the bed, the homemade, heart- shaped, melt in the mouth shortbread, quality tea making facilities, a carafe of water, and the stylish Edinburgh guidebooks. The attention to detail is just phenomenal!

Food is wonderful! After sampling the shortbread the night before I was really looking forward to a Millers 64 breakfast. The dining room opens out onto the patio over the garden and I was tempted to breakfast al fresco but as it was a driech morning opted instead for a full Scottish breakfast in the comfort of beautifully decorated dining room. As we waited for our cooked breakfast we were served freshly brewed tea and coffee and were invited to help ourselves to a feast of freshly baked treats as well as delicious looking granola, cereals, toast, juice and homemade preserves. The home made banana muffins were divine, so good- I just had to try some of the raisin bread too! I actually had to remind myself to save room for the main event, which was a delicious, freshly cooked with high quality produce, grease-free breakfast with all the trimmings! The Stornaway black pudding just melts in the mouth and the eggs poached to perfection. Also available were continental and vegetarian breakfast options and a “special” of smoked salmon and scrambled egg...if only our stay at Millers 64 had been longer!

Service is outstanding! A difficult combination to master- but their friendly, relaxed manner coupled with such complete professionalism is just un-beatable. We were so well looked after, but not fussed over. Every last detail is accounted for, but Millers 64 is informal and not at all pretentious, a real home from home. My only wish would be that my own home was more like Millers 64!

• Liked — Location, décor, food and service are all out of this world!
  • Disliked — N/A! Loved everything!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Classed as a bed and breakfast Millers 64 is in fact a very small boutique hotel. What differentiates it is that this is Louise and Shona's home. And I was made to feel so welcome.

The Clelland sisters have lovingly restored this stunning Victorian townhouse. The combination of Shona's impeccable eye for interiors and Louise's exquisite culinary skills made me feel like I was staying in my ideal home.

It is so beautiful and comfortable, it makes extraordinarily great value for money. Both Shona and Louise have traveled extensively and that experience of what a discerning traveller (or Edinburgh festival goer) requires comes through in droves. Shona's career in the entertainment industry informs the discreet sense of luxury that pervades the building. Did I mention the walk in shower...the hand beaten Thai tin washbasins...the dreamy beds...and those homemade raspberry and almond muffins...I can't recommend this place enough.

I love Edinburgh, I have spent a lot of time there. Now I feel as though I have a second home to go to.

• Liked — The decor, the food, the comfort, the hosts attitude
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)