“excelent”

and 1 more site!
Mayfield Lodge Guesthouse
Ranked #182 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'm a bit shocked to read a few of these awful comments about this bed and breakfast. It seems as if people seem to forget that this is a B&B and not a 5-star-rated hotel, so if you want all the luxury you should apply there. Warm and cosy and a very welcoming. No complaints. I'd go back again any time - in fact I plan to in the spring!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The location of this B&B is good if you don't want to be right in the centre of things in Edinburgh but want easy access. On arrival I found that the host was a bit quirky and too chatty, when I just wanted to get to my room and settle. I didn't want to offend but he wasn't picking up on the hint. My room was average and pleasant décor wise, nothing special and a bit overpriced. More attention could have been given to the cleaning, especially of the ensuite but it wasn't digusting. Slight smell of damp in the room. In the morning there was no choice given regarding the cooked breakfast, it just came out as standard but there was a selection of cereal.

I wouldn't stay here again, when I've stayed in Edinburgh before I've had better quality for less. I think Mayfield needs to pay more attention to basics for like hygiene and the host could be friendly without being off-putting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Agnes S
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Well what can I say, Mayfield Lodge is excellent. Great location close to the heart of Edinburgh (10mins on the number 42 bus which stops right outside the b&b). We needed somewhere to stay for 3 nights as we were going to the 2013 British Open at Muirfield which was about a 25min drive away. We didn’t encounter any issues at all, the rooms were clean and well equipped, wifi throughout, cable TV, the twin room we were in was very spacious, the breakfast was spot on, can have pretty much whatever you want, cereal, toast/bagel/crumpets, full English etc Kenny the host was great and really made us feel at home. If I was ever heading up to Edinburgh again id definitely stay there:-)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank adam j
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at the Mayfield Lodge the beginning of this month {July} as part of our trip to the UK. The Lodge itself, needs some updating in the rooms as well as the kitchen. The host Kenny makes you feel right at home , friendly and outgoing. As for the food we felt it was not what we expected it to be, the full English/Scottish breakfast. More like rationed portions,firstly you are not asked what you would like , just the time you want to eat. The first morning my daughter and I did not eat the eggs or the sausage on the plate. Next morning they were not there and nothing was in place of the missing egg and such.Also one button mushroom, one half tomato, a soup spoon of beans, does not make a full English/Scottish breakfast.
The convenience to the bus stop was a great help for those who did not drive.All in all I can not give it a full 5 .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carol M W
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My friend and I spent a couple of nights here in June and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was small but immaculate and the great, strong shower was welcome after the transatlantic flight. Kenny welcomed us as friends, loaned us electrical adaptors, received out lost luggage from the airline while we were out sightseeing and gave us great advice on seeing his city. The price was good and, with a bus stop just across the street, this is a good choice for those on a budget. It's a short ride into the center of town and Kenny cooks a lovely, large breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here so I would be near Edinburgh University. I was warmly greeted by Kenny and shown my room. It had a smell of damp and the window was wide open. I ended up spraying some expensive perfume to kill the smell. The room was quite dated although the views to the garden made up for it with garden birds and a wonderful magnolia tree. I asked to borrow an iron and ironing board however the iron proved really greasy on the outside...I had to wash my hands before I used it.
There just seems to be a bit of neglect in the room and the en suite could have been a bit cleaner. The plug extension had a faulty plug.
Kenny was helpful and said I could use the breakfast room to use my computer which was helpful. I eventually went back to my room but was quite cold and ended up sitting with a blanket round me in bed.
I had cereal and fruit for breakfast and declined the cooked breakfast which Kenny said he had made despite not asking what I would like.
The normal price for my room would be £80 which I feel would be far too high for the standard it was. I paid £40 which was more appropriate.
It definitley needs some steam cleaning and a bit of TLC.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a view over the garden so would be quieter than one facing the front
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here overnight on 4 separate occasions and the rooms are top-notch - definitely better value for money than many other B and Bs I've stayed at! All amenities are provided for, all rooms have wash basin, toilet and a good strong shower! Host is really friendly and even though I only booked a single room was more than happy to put me in a larger two-bed room when available! Location is 30mins walk south from train station and only 10mins from King's Building!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business