“fresh, organic and bursting with flavour”
Review of Urban Angel - CLOSED

Urban Angel
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed December 11, 2012

one of many gems in the city away from the main tourist trails. Lovely cafe and restaurant with food to match. You can order small plates which are pretty substantial in themselves. Everything is freshly made with the best ingredients, but the prices are incredibly reasonable. Lots of choice for under £10. Not up for a big meal then enjoy their brownies, cup cakes or muffins

There are newer reviews for Urban Angel

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I eat here every time I'm in Edinburgh.

Excellent value and beautiful quality food with a really relaxed friendly atmosphere.

If you're savvy you can manage two courses and a glass of wine for under £17 - the specials change regularly and are always seasonal. My favourite meals have been off the spcecials board - the wines are good quality and always served at the appropriate temperature. A complimentary bottle of tap water is provided when you're seated which is a nice touch.

Staff are very friendly and down to earth with a very relaxed approch which works well for me.

Personally I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Urban Angel and only wish I had such a gem on my own doorstep.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a good dinner on Saturday night. We went to the Urban Angel on Hanover and discovered they were not serving dinner, but happily, the location on Forth Street was.

We both found our mains to be fantastic and enjoyed the wide selection of beer. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We ate here last week and had a lovely meal with great service. The girls who served us were great and it wasn't overpriced, with reasonable wine choices too. We had visited the Urban Angel in Hanover St., which seemed to have a better menu (there was a scrumptious sounding fish stew but it wasn't available at Forth St) but unfortunately that branch closed at teatime.
Nevertheless we enjoyed a shared bowl of mussels to start, followed by a lovely chicken breast with a wild mushroom sauce, and a herb crusted lamb dish. The lamb wasn't very big and was a bit salty for my liking, but other than that we had no complaints at all.
Lovely to see seasonal, organic and fairly traded ingredients used to their best instead of relying on one of the many chain restaurants in Edinburgh.
A bit more choice on the fish front would have suited us, but would definitely return.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I met some friends here for a pre theatre meal. The price was very good for two courses, approx £14, and the Urban Angel is a much pleasanter place to dine than those large restaurants across from the Playhouse.
My starter salad of squash and feta was very short of feta, but it tasted good. My main of hake and chips was filling but unexceptional.
A few years ago, I ate regularly in both Urban Angels and loved the food, I remember prawn risottos with particular fondness. The current menu seems more down market than I remember, but perhaps this is a sign of the times.
This wasn't a bad experience and I would go back again for a pre theatre meal but I would not choose as it as the venue for an evening out.