“fantastic”

and 1 more site!
Garlands Guest House
Ranked #80 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 31, 2010

ThisRegency house is kept in immaculate condition, with delightful furniture, art work and china. Our room was very comfortable and well laid out, and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was superb - never had black pudding cooked with cloves before! Location is handy for town and Leith. Parking is on-street, but was not a problem. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveGtYarmouth

Reviewed October 26, 2010

This was my first visit to Scotland which I loved. I had booked Garlands based on their very ingenious web site. It really was beyond my expectations. I received a very warm welcome from Bill one of the owners. By the way, the staff are also great. He filled me in on all the information I needed regarding getting around Edinburgh. The house is really special. It is from the early Nineteenth Century. Bill and his partner have lovingly restored it. The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. Felt very much at home. It is in very easy walking distance from the main sites on a nice residential street. The breakfast that comes with the room is very generous. A classic Scottish breakast including "tattie" (potato) scones. If you want a quiet haven from the city that feels like home, this is the place for you. I very much look forward to my return. Entusiastically recommended. Also, as an additional benefit it is very gay friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank BillyD51
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Bill's welcome is as warm as this beautiful home. The bedroom was spacious and had all that one might need, including a comfortable sofa and armchairs. The bathroom was again spacious and clea and had a great shower. The breakfast was big and hearty, and agaon could not be faulted.

All in all a great place to stay if you want to see Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jasparrow999
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Garland's is located on Pilrig Road with several other guest houses including the Ardmore. This location is about half-way between Edinburgh and Leith with a 15 to 20 minute walk to either. You won't want to use your car in Edinburgh itself, but parking is available on Pilrig , and we had no problem with finding a spot on our arrival or when we returned from a trip outside the city. We had a large room, slightly below ground level but with a window out the front. The house is quite solid and noise was no issue. The home's decor is older but it's well maintained and clean. The owner Bill was on vacation but his assistant Andrew was as gracious and helpful as they come. Breakfast was substantial and you could easily put off lunch. Seating is at two large tables rather than scattered all about which I like because it leads to more conversation between the guests. All in all, Garland's is a great value and a pleasant place to spend your stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cmac-Decatur
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I stayed a week at Garlands and loved it.....having not stayed in a B&B for many years and being a bit snobby about them I was so pleasantly surprised.
A warm welcome a homely room a very comfortable bed.......and clean, clean, clean!
Bill’s breakfast is fantastic and saw me through the day.......really right through the day

Stuart Douglas ( Newcastle )

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank StuDouglas
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I have been remeniscing of my stay in Edinburgh last autumn. I was there for only one night but my hosts at The Garlands helped me plot out a route that ensured a most enjoyable combination of tourist sites, excellent entertainment, shopping, and eateries. All directions and advice made it flawless! The room I had was large, clean, comfortable, and quiet. There was plenty of time to have a great breakfast and conversation in their grand dining room. I will be returning one day with my partner for a longer visit and hopefully we will be able to get a reservation there!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TorontoRover
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I loved most of the B&B's in which I slept in Scotland - and the Garlands was the best. It was sparklingly clean. The host gave thought to every little detail in every aspect: clealiness, guests' needs, design, breakfast and advice . I loved his sense of humor (read his note to the guest in the room).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family