Garlands Guest House
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
$172
$165
  • Room Service
All reviewsporridgeleith walkwonderfull breakfastcity centresingle roomtourist sitesother guestsevery morningenjoyable staybreakfast roombeautiful roompubs and restaurantsquiet streetwithin walking distancecomfy bedyogurtian
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We just got back from our trip to Edinburgh, Scotland where we stayed at Garlands guest house.
The owner had given us directions how to walk from Waverley Bridge and in about 15 minutes we arrived at the beautifull Georgian house. The host Bill McGill was as nice as he had sounded on the telephone (with an accent that left us in no doubt that we had arrived in Scotland).
After he showed us our spotlessly clean room he was kind enough to name us some places where we could have lunch. Later that day we met Bill's partner Ian who doesn't work in the guesthouse but was kind enough to give us a lot of ideas for the sightseeing that we planned to do.
The beds were very comfortable which was just what we needed after being on our feet every day .
Breakfast was served by Bill himself every morning in Garland's beautifull dining room and it was a delight to find that our room had been serviced whilst we enjoyed breakfast.
We really had a great time in Edinburgh made all the better for our stay at Garlands.
Thank you Bill and Ian we sure will come back and stay at Garlands again.

Martin and Anieta from Holland

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Martinenanieta
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Staying at Garlands has been a highlight of my trips to Ediniburgh. From the welcoming staff, to the superb breakfasts and impeccable rooms each stay has been a pleasure. Garlands has a wonderful atmosphere and combined with the excellent location and outstanding service I cannot recommend it highly enough. Looking forward to my next trip - a home from home.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 20, 2008

This is a lovely welcoming guest house; its a spacious early Victorian building and all rooms well appointed and very clean. Breakfast is the best ive had in Scotland or England. This is a gay friendly house (though not in any way sleazy) and is close to venues in Broughton. The owner was obliging with my left luggage and gave lots of helpful hints about where to go. Its a homely place to stay. Daniel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank kingegbert98
Reviewed July 20, 2008

This very beautiful Guest House is a gem in Edinburgh. I am a regular guest at Garlands. I visit usually once a year, but sometimes it's more than that. Bill and Ian are a truly lovely couple and their hospitality is second to none. Over the years I think I've stayed in all the rooms and every room has been spotlessly clean. The cooked breakfast is excellent and I have to mention Bill's home-made marmalade ......which is a million times better than my much cherished Fortnum & Mason one.
I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in Edinburgh. Bill and Ian have always made me and my friends most welcome and I have many happy memories as a result of their most generous hospitality. It's only 10-15 mins walk from Princes Street or a few mins by bus and the bus service nearby is very good.
I hope to be back at Garlands for my next trip to Edinburgh within the next few months. I have no hesitation in recommending Garland Guest House to anyone reading this review.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Silveroscar
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed at The Garlands and found everything wonderful! The decor was lovely and talk about a helpful staff - everyone went out of their way to make our stay terrific. Bill was a delightful host. He should teach a course in hotel hospitality!! The Garlands was immaculate, the beds comfortable and the breakfast sublime! We highly recommend this B & B on every single level!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends