“Lovely place”

Neighborhood: New Town
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Lovely place”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I was here with a group of friends recently, and it is a lovely place - the decor and atmosphere in here was lovely.
They have the most amazing smoking room too, it's and outside-inside room, and is a great step up from standing out on the street.
We only had a selection of the platters that are on offer, as there were quite a few of us, the food was lovely.
They have a fantastic selection of drinks, and some knowledgeable bar tenders too! My only complaint for the whole night was the service, the staff were lovely very friendly, once you got their attention - which wasn't easy to do.We had to wait a very long time for the plates to be cleared from the tables, and even when the bar wasn't very busy, it took a long time to get served. I found this a huge shame, as unattentive servers is something that would put me off returning.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Wow and fab”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The ambiance is lovely and the food was top class. The service too was so professional and we had the loveliest meal which being a set menu suited all tastes and we were delighted. Top class for sure

Visited August 2014
Thank p.m.s.norton
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Night Out”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The food was amazing, as were the cocktails! The décor is fantastic and so girly! I loved every minute. The Music was great and the staff were so helpful and accommodating. The Service amazing. Will defo go back.

Visited August 2014
Perth, Australia
“Restaurant excellent, Bar service disappointing”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Having visited a few years ago and knowing of its good reputation, we popped in for cocktails when in Edinburgh then decided to stay for dinner as the menu appealed. Two sections to the review - bar then restaurant as they were very different!

The bar and drinks.

We found a spot at a high table and sat down expecting a waiter to take our drink orders (it was not busy and we were obviously new) however it seemed you should go to the bar to order drinks, which was fine however I then stood there for 5 mins while the bar tenders made drinks in front of me and didn't take my order. Next to the bar were 3 female wait staff chatting and adjusting their tops waiting for drinks to be made to take to tables, they ignored me which I found strange.

Once the bar tender got to me, I ordered two drinks and they were delivered to our table fairly promptly.

Two cocktails and they were very good - raspberry mule had great flavour; great blue yonder was in a tall glass and really tasty.

We drank these and a waiter happened to pass and i caught his attention so we ordered another round. Bad idea. These were made promptly but we could see them sitting on the side of the bar for over 9 minutes before one of the waitresses decided to bring them over. They were now watery, overflowing (one was made with sorbet so that had melted).

Same issue with getting the cheque - slow.

The Restaurant

Different story. Great, attentive service; excellent prices - we had the two courses for £15 plus a dessert platter and really good atmosphere.

Food was good, not amazing. Some hits and some misses - tortellini and chicken salad entrees were great; thai curry main disappointing (lacked flavour and kick) but pork cheeks were delicious and fell apart.

Dessert - we had the fondue share platter £12.95 - huge platter with lots on it. Only real let down was that the melted chocolate sauce was more like a luke warm hot chocolate with not much flavour. My idea of a fondue is thick, rich chocolate that sticks to your dipping item!

For the price; all very good and the place has a great feel to it.

Overall definitely worth visiting when in Edinburgh.

1 Thank Jamie S
Galashiels, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Was in Tigerlilly yesterday afternoon for an Afternoon Tea hen do. Yes, there were 24 of us and yes it was the last weekend of the festival so Edinburgh was really busy. However, the wait for our food was totally ridiculous. Our table was booked for 3.30pm and it was almost 4.45 before any food arrived. We were sitting on 2 long tables of 12 each and our table got our afternoon tea - the other table (with the Bride on it I may add) waited at least another 20 minutes for their food to be delivered. They knew we were coming and I really have no idea why it took so long. Also, I am vegan so didn't have the afternoon tea - I ordered the Quinoa salad, which was supposed to have chickpeas, sliced green apple, raisins and tahini dressing. It arrived with rocket, sliced red peppers and raisins - that was all! It was one of the most tasteless things I have ever eaten. I mentioned to one of the managers and as a kind gesture I didn't have to pay for it - which was much appreciated as I didn't eat the majority of it. Our servers were very nice and friendly however I just felt that the speed of the food delivery and the massive gap between groups was just unacceptable, especially when it had been pre-booked.