“Decadent bed and breakfast with excellent hosts.”
Review of 23 Mayfield

23 Mayfield
Ranked #4 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a very elegant bed and breakfast with a boutique hotel feel. We stayed for one night in a family room with our 17 year old daughter. Our room was on the top floor, was very spacious and very well equipped. The hosts are very friendly and helpful and the whole place has a real quality feel. Breakfast was excellent with a good modern menu. Myself and my husband had haddock with poached egg and our daughter had pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. There were plenty of choices and breakfast specials. The walk into the city centre was a good half an hour but not unpleasant. There is a phone in the lobby to a local taxi company which we thought was helpful. We would definitely come back and thought the room price reasonable for the quality of the stay. Our only minor criticism would be the price of the drinks in the honesty bar. We thought them a little high.

Room Tip: We had the top room which faces the back of the hotel. It was quiet and we could even leave the wind...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank issyboo

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed two nights in October 2013. Easy to find (plenty of buses from the city centre, but only 30mins away if you have the weather that we did and fancy a stroll), smart appearance from walking through the front gate. Wonderful interior decor downstairs and in the bedrooms. Plush carpet, huge comfy bed, well furnished room. Clean and spacious en-suite with splendid rainforest shower. Had a room at the front but road noise was negligible. Breakfasts were superb, excellent choice, well presented and tasted fantastic. Would highly recommend this place. Thanks to Ross and co. for the warm welcome.

Room Tip: They're all good rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M4ttK
Reviewed October 27, 2013

First class in every way. The owner ,Ross, comes from the hospitality industry and it shows.
Once your through the front door you feel like you have entered a high class men's club from the 19th century. The paneling and the entire interior is exquisite. The rooms are well furnished and there is a hot tub available.
The sitting room is comfortable and Ross provides old black and white classic videos to watch as well as some Scottish ones. The Scotch malts are also available to you.
The breakfast menu is extensive and the food is fine.
The location is central to public transportation and there are many good places to eat nearby.
I would stay here over any chain hotel in a minute.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vfec
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying three nights at 23 Mayfield in October of 2013. We arrived from Canada to start a two week tour of the Highlands and our tour company (Scottish Dream Tours) booked this as our first stop. We added an extra day at the front end to adjust to times zones and travel fatigue etc.The facilities were delightful. Wonderfully decorated rooms, clean and new en-suite bathroom and just great breakfasts. If we ever come back to Edinburgh we will stay there in a heartbeat.

As an side note, there are many eating establishments (casual pub format) but with well balanced meals within a short walking distance for evening meals. It is also located on a main bus route.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wwuuw
Reviewed October 22, 2013

You never know what you are going to get with a small BB or Guesthouse. Are the rooms too small and cramped? Is the owner too chatty and in your business? Do they have a maintenance crew and does the hot water work? Can I get an iron? etc. etc. I travel a lot for work and sometimes it is just easier to go with a big, anonymous hotel chain. My office recommends the Mayfield 23 because it sits just around the corner from us and its rates are fair and comparable with others in the city. I stayed at the Mayfield 23 twice over the last two years for 1-week work trips and absolutely love it. It is a great mix of super-quiet & elegant, totally functional and very homey. The owners have put a lot of care in to it and you can see that every pillow, wall colour and each item on the breakfast menu was individually selected. At the same time, they set it up in a way that guests can interact with the home, enjoy the space and all the amenities - they encourage you to use the hot tub, the after-hours bar/fridge, the library and sitting room. On my last trip, I chatted with Ross about my day as I was going out the door in the early a.m. - recognising I had a big day, I came home to find a glass of scotch waiting for me in my room with a nice note and chocolate. What hotel will do that for you?!

Room Tip: Every room is a bit different. I have stayed in two of them and both were quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NatSarajevo
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I chose 23 Mayfield due to the reviews and photos on Tripadvisor, and I'm glad I did. Ross was immediately welcoming and the entire place is just perfect. DO NOT miss the breakfasts! A friendly, elegant atmosphere all around. Will book again!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Digitalburn
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay. Room was very comfortable - great tv and DVD set up so watched Braveheart to prepare us for our Stirling Castle visit. Enjoyed the homemade breakfast - loved the pancakes!! Bought a bus pass each day which really made it easy to tour the city. Did not find any restaurants around the B&B, but we were mainly in the city during the day until the evening and ate there. Very quiet area which was nice. Post office not too far away so could mail some stuff home. PC and printer made it easy to book and print tickets for attractions to skip lines.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends