The title of this review refers to an inside joke between the owner, Ross, and us, so he can identify the writers. ;-) We had a great night at this luxury guesthouse during our two weeks' Scotland trip. Of course, if you come from the very quiet highlands, you can't expect the same in a busy city like Edinburgh, so we won't compare. However, regarding the fact that it was very close to the Royal Mile and we had only one day to visit this fantastic European city, it was just perfect for us.
Ross, the owner, was very helpful and had a natural friendliness and sense of humour we liked a lot. Friendliness is always a must for us, but it sometimes can be false and a bit too much, which was not the case here. For example, when my husband asked for a Starbucks, as we had had so many really horrible coffees during our trip and he wanted to be on the safe side, Ross rolled his eyes and teased him a bit, but in a very pleasant way. On top, he recommended us some really good cafés, which is always very helpful in a city you don't know. He showed and explained everything in the house to us in person and also recommended a very good restaurant for the evening. The room had some modern features we didn't really need, but which showed that it didn't just call itself a luxury guesthouse but took this seriously.
Also, breakfast was presented very nicely and was very tasty. Ross cooked it himself and had a nice chat with everybody in the breakfast room, so you really felt at home. For us, it was mainly the way we were treated there that made the difference, though everything else left nothing to be desired either. We were really impressed, because especially in a big city like this with lots of different guests all the time, it must be very hard to treat everybody personally and not to become anonymous. The stay was not cheap, but certainly worth the price. Thanks again, Ross.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning Boutique Guest House built in 1868 in the Victorian era, situated just over one mile from the Royal Mile,**DON'T FORGET TO BOOK DIRECT TO SAVE, 23 Mayfield **, on the main bus route into Edinburgh city centre. The guest house offers easy access to many places of interest such as Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh Castle, the Scottish Parliament and Princes Street, which are all within a one mile radius. We have FREE PARKING FOR DIRECT BOOKING FROM OUR OWN WEBSITE, Club room,Garden, FREE Wi-Fi, all rooms newly refurbished and are en-suite. REVIEWED BY THE TIMES TOP 15 IN BRITIAN, 5 STAR GOLD Scottish tourist board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your 23 Mayfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 23 Mayfield Hotel Edinburgh
- 23 Mayfield Edinburgh, Scotland