“Wonderful Place to Stay in Edinburgh”

Gil Dun Guest House
Ranked #15 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Based on recommendations from Rick Steves (my travel guru!) and Trip Advisor I booked a single room for the too short 3 nights that I visited Edinburgh.

What a fabulous choice! The whole place was so warm and inviting. The rooms that I saw were all just as gorgeously decorated and clean as mine was. Gerry and Bill took excellent care of me, starting with taking my luggage upstairs and then giving me detailed bus instructions so that I made it back "home" each evening.

Breakfast is beautifully served with linen tablecloths and napkins and menus, with each room assigned a table--no chance that you might not have a place to sit when you are ready for breakfast! There was a huge variety of items to choose from on the breakfast table and then of course there was a wonderful selection of items that were cooked to order. My main regret about breakfast was that I couldn't stay long enough to be served on the last morning--but I had some fresh fruit and yogurt and more waiting for me grab on the way to the airport.

What I thought would be a problem turned out to be a minor inconvenience--the single room has a bathroom a short way down the hall. And I normally have to make a trip at least once during the night. But it is a large private bath--locked so there was never a worry that someone might be using it when I headed there. And there is also a sink in the bedroom. I had no problem with WiFi access (as I had had in a couple of other places I stayed on this trip).

The bus stop around the corner is very convenient but it's also an easy walk into the city. I walked down and gave my feet a break after walking around the city and came back by bus. And yes this location is very convenient to the south access trail to Arthur's Seat, but you might want to consider the other trail if you are not in the best physical shape--it's a lot more gentler approach. (I speak from direct personal experience!)

Thanks again to Jerry and Bill--I must come back because I ran out of time as I knew I would--of course, it will be a joy to return to Edinburgh and the Gil Dun!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Gil Dun Guest House

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Thank you so much Gil Dun for making out stay so incredible. We loved coming back at night, knowing that we would be warm, safe and comfortable. The distance is easy because of the bus system and it was nice to be somewhere quiet and away from the noise of the city center. The room was beautiful and had a great view. Breakfast was delicious and we felt very well cared for. Stay here if you are going to Edinburgh, I promise you won't regret it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Spent a couple of nights here and highly recommend it. Gerry was very welcoming and helpful and gave us some useful tips about sight seeing in Edinburgh. We are a family of 3 and were given a large and very comfortable room which was perfect. Breakfast was hearty and delicious. Would definitely stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend it .

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Staying at the Gil Dun Guest House was a delightful experience! The Gil Dun is Located about 1 ½ miles outside of the Old Town’s Royal Mile. It is an easy commute by bus or a very doable walk to the heart of Edinburgh. You are a few hundred feet away from the south entrance to Holyrood Park and two blocks away from the Salisbury Arms Restaurant.
My sister-in-law, niece and I stayed in the large family suite. The bedroom and en suite bathroom were very spacious. The high ceilings and tall windows gave the room a very open feeling. Breakfast was served in the large front room. There was a large selection of cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt and pastries. You got to sample all of this before you selected your hot breakfast. All the food was artistically presented and tasted wonderful. My niece wanted to make sure I mentioned how perfectly the pouched eggs were made.
All of these factors would have made our stay a fine one. But what made it especially comfortable, pleasant and welcoming, was our interaction with the members of the Gil Dun household, Jerry, Billy, Maggie and (for animal lovers) Troy. They answered our endless questions graciously and patiently. We had lovely conversations with them when our paths crossed during the day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I used to be Assistant Manager, when Jim 7 athie Gallagher owned the Guest House, after moving over from The Rosehall Hotel. Where I was Manager.
Bill & Jerry are great, a real fun loving pair, nothing is too much trouble for them, and their knowledge is quite astounding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, overlooks the rear garden, not onto main road!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Having stayed in this Guest House more than once many years ago, I was yet again not disappointed with its comfort and situation but most of all with the warmth and friendliness of the proprietor. I was made to feel at home from the minute of my arrival. The breakfast was excellent and for a vegetarian there is plenty of choice to move around the menu. Edinburgh is a very friendly city and Gil Dun is a wonderful example of this.

Annie from Cornwall.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and i spent 4 nights at Gil Dun Guest House in Sept. 2013 Bill was most welcoming and provided information on public transportation and special events occurring during our stay. The city bus is just around the corner with access to the Royal Mile and New Town, and there are several good restaurants within walking distance. Our room was large and quite lovely. We had to leave very early before breakfast was served on two days, once to catch a highlands tour, and once to the airport. Bill arranged taxis and gave us access to the breakfast room for cereal, fresh fruit and rolls. On my husbands birthday he brought a bottle of wine to our room. We highly recommend Gil Dun as a perfect home-base for exploring Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple