“Excellent B&B with great accomodations and friendly hosts who really make you feel welcome.”

Gil Dun Guest House
Ranked #12 of 391 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I recently spent five days in Scotland, and spent four nights at Gil Dun Guest House, and one night at another B&B in the Highlands.

Bill and Jerry were friendly, helpful and generally excellent hosts. As soon as I arrived at the B&B, Bill checked me in, showed me my room, explained how everything worked, and provided me some information about the area and where to eat. Then, the next morning, I was greeted by Jerry at breakfast, and they were able to accommodate my dietary restrictions and cooked a breakfast according to my needs!

On the mornings that I had to leave early, Jerry left me fresh fruit, yogurt and other snacks on my table so I could still grab a quick breakfast to go. Throughout my stay, I knew that they would take care of anything I needed, and they even let me store my suit case at the B&B while I was in the Highlands.

I stayed in room Number 5, the single room with private bath, but the private bath was outside the room. This was not the most convenient, but really, not all that much trouble since there was a sink in the room.

The room was not large but I still had plenty of room to lay out my suitcase and maneuver around. Overall, the room was in great condition, and still feels newly renovated. Everything was spotless, modern, and even better, well heated and brightly lit. There were also more than enough power outlets to satisfy all my charging needs. (I had a phone, a laptop and a camera, and still had power outlets to spare). The free wifi was terrific, and I was even able to stream live TV from my TV at home in order to watch NFL games. There was also ample counter space between the night stand, the desk, the bureau, and closet.

The location of the B&B is a 20 minute walk from the center of the Royal Mile. While the walk is pleasant, and there are plenty of shops and eateries along the way, it is a walk, and its not easy to get back to the B&B during the day. However, for those who prefer the bus, there are three buses that run right by the B&B, and the bus stop is right around the corner. The buses seem to run pretty frequently during the day, but in the evening, they seem to run every 20 minutes or so, so I usually ended up walking. The nice thing about the B&B is that it is in a smaller neighborhood, and there are plenty of eateries and restaurants that are terrific, and not as pricey as the ones in the center of town.

One tip - you can reserve a cab through Blue Bell Cabs for 19 pounds to the airport, which is a pretty good deal. Or you can take the bus to the airlink shuttle, which will run you about 5 pounds, but will take a lot longer. If you don't have much luggage, you could walk 25 minutes to the airlink shuttle stop. If you are taking bus 31, or 33 from the Royal Mile to the B&B, get off at the first stop after you get on Dalkeith Road, or if you're on bus 14, get off at the second stop on Dalkeith Road.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
St. John's
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The location remains perfect. The little touches are unexpected and greatly appreciated like feresh orange juice is a pricey addition to breakfast. You'd expect to pay dearly for this in a hotel.

Rooms were bright and clean, other guests were also quite pleasant.

I liked the table arrangements so you could decide whether you were in a chatty mood or whether you just wanted a time out to sip on coffee and wake up :))

I will certainly recommend it to any of my freinds stopping in the area

Len

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I found the Gil Dun a very pleasent place to stay and very reasonably priced. Rooms were clean, breakfast was excellent and always freshly cooked with a good variety on the menu. The hosts were friendly and helpful, couldn't ask for more for a weekend away. I would have no hesitation returning when I go to visit again to this lovely city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a fabulously situated, clean and cozy B&B and the owners are so charming and kind. We stayed here after running a marathon and found that we wanted to relax more than go out and this place was so very nice and clean that we enjoyed a few extra moments indoors. The meals are superb and the location is ideal. Very easy to get to the train station - only about £10 and then we could walk to everything from this location. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Love this place and recommend it very highly. It met (and exceeded) all of out requirements. My wife wants clean and quiet, and it was very, very clean. Plus, it was a half block off the main street, so it was nice and quiet. I need a good bed for my back, and the bed was fantastic. We spent 9 nights and I slept like I was home and never was sore in the morning.

So, why not 5 stars? Mostly because I wanted to give it a 4.5 but the site only allows 'whole' stars. Here are the reasons, from the specific to the arcane:

1 - I am a foodie, and part of my review of a B&B/guest house is the food. Breakfast here was good, filling and ... conventional. Your choice of eggs any style, meats, break, cerial and coffee/tea/juice. All of it was very good, but over the course of 8 mornings, it was all the same. I have gone to B&Bs that served home-made bread and/or pastries, or that baked interesting things for breakfast. Here, the food was good, but not gourmet.

2 - I have been to several B&Bs in converted houses, and almost all of them have great rooms and some not so great rooms. It can be difficult to convert some rooms into stand-alone bedrooms. We had room 3, and it was absolutely fantastic! Large bedroom facing the back yard, great big sunny bathroom, just perfect. We also stuck our heads into some of the other rooms during the week we were there. Next to us, room 2 was nice enough, but the bathroom was the size of a closet, adequate, but not like ours. And room 5, while it has its own bathroom, is a little odd because the bathroom is down the public hall from the bedroom. Any of these would have been fine for a few days, but I am glad we got the room we did for a 8 day stay.

3 - Communications issues. The guest house has the most basic pay phone BT&T offers. No operator, no assistance, no collect calls. If you have a cell phone that you can use, totally not an issue. If not, it would be best to set up something, like Skype, before you go. We needed to get in touch with both our airlines and out credit card provider during the trip. Things we couldn't do via email. We ended up setting up a Skype account for $10 to be able to communicate. It took several hours to figure out how to do this for us newbies, and it helped that we had both a tablet computer and a smart phone with us. BE WARNED or be prepared to be really out of touch with the rest of the world.

So, in summary, I give the Gil Dun a rating of 4.5/5 and I would definitely stay then the next time I am in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CRS_reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My daughter and I chose this B&B based on the reviews and were not disappointed. We stayed for two nights in mid-Sept. The room we stayed in had two twin beds and a large clean ensuite with a shower. While the room was cozy, it was perfect for our needs. The location is within walking distance to the Royal Mile however, the bus stop is just around the corner. There were a number of nice restaurants near by and breakfast was cooked to order. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dubai
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights early this month. We received a nice warm welcome by Maggi. It was not very difficult to find and is quiet and conveniently located. If you dont mind walking around it only takes 15 to 20 mins to reach Princess Street but in between you will pass through Royal Mile. So nothing is too far from here. There are bus stops just across the street with frequent connections. Please do not forget to carry exact change while using the Lothians but the drivers were helpful to us with the routes.
Our rooms were not too big but it didn't really matter to us because we were only there to sleep and the rest of the time we were out but it can get slightly congested if you've got too many luggage. However they are very clean. Breakfast was good. Jerry was indeed a good host and helpful even when he was going through a difficult time. He had no qualms arranging our breakfast slightly earlier than usual the day we checked out to catch our morning flight. Definitely recommend! Thank you Gil Dun.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple