“Couldn't even boil an egg...”

and 1 more site!
Browns Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #65 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newcastle, Uk
“Couldn't even boil an egg...”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I should start by saying this is my first negative review, and I really am loathed to do it, but the stay was just not up to scratch.

We have just come back from a two night break staying at Browns on a Saturday and Sunday night.

Firstly, some positives. The room was of a decent size and the bed was comfy. Room was quiet and good sleep was had. The dog was charming (it is old & blind) and tea and coffee facilities were fine.

The negatives:

i) The bathroom was, we were told by our host, "a feat of engineering". It was effectively a split level wet room where you were showing next to a toilet paper dispenser. God forbid you wanted to use the toilet after the shower, as the floor would inevitably be wet. It was an odd room, and a bizarre design. Put simply, it didn't work, and a separate bathroom would have been a better idea rather than trying to squeeze a shower, toilet & sink into a cupboard.

ii) Breakfast. We stay in B&B's in Edinburgh because of the breakfast. Breakfast is everything for a B&B! It is really their only chance to show a bit of what they stand for on a plate, and I always look forward to it while away. In truth, it was so bad, it was funny.

On the first morning I had selected the full Scottish breakfast. It was awful. The sausages were processed, had no texture, and were the cheapest of the cheap. The filling had a strange slimy texture, probably because it was mechanically reclaimed, rather than actual meat. Poached eggs were not an option, and had to be requested on the breakfast form. The hostess advised she had struggled with the poaching; the egg was fine, but hadn't been drained properly, and so there was water all over the plate. The bacon, similar to the sausages, was of a poor quality, and it was a shame. Mushrooms were odd, not a nice flavour, and way way overcooked. The Haggis though.....the haggis was really awful. The texture was very bizarre. It was 'wet', and wobbled if shook. The flavour was unpleasant, and I feel I may have been spoilt in the past having some very good Haggis from all over Scotland, but this tasted like it was from a tin.

Most of the food was left, and we had a large lunch to make up for it.

The second day we both decided to go for soft boiled eggs, as how could you mess those up? "They're a bit hit & miss my boiled eggs!". I don't see how...she had done them for at least 10mins, and they were totally solid!

Again, both breakfasts were left barely touched.

I suppose I wonder, as lovely as the couple are, whether this business is for them? If you can't boil an egg, should you really be running a B&B?

We were charged £80 per night and stayed in Room 3.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The3Dean
bingo20, Owner at Browns Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Trip adviser has removed this reveiw ? three times .The review is not a contructive critisium but an attack on me and buisness .I am very dissapointed that someone is allowed to sabbatage me amd my buisness as there were no complaints from the guests when they stayed .If they had a complaint it would have been manners to tell me .On the weekend they stayed in October there were six other guests who stayed and two rooms have put a reveiw on to trip adviser about there stay with me . A number of bed and breakfast owners have contacted me and are distgused about this personal attack on myself and property

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I love staying at your place Marion! Excellent service, quality rooms, free WIFI, and lovely breakfast (I already miss your smoked salmon meal).
Location is just excellent, 15 minutes walking away from the Center, a bus stop is just 2 minutes away giving an access to majority locations in Edinburgh. Not to mention the Library and a Tesco express which are just one block from the B&B. But above all, the warm welcoming and friendly atmosphere you get at Browns! Thank you Marion for everything!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I love this B&B! Such a lovely place which makes me feel welcome upon my stay. Always make me feel like it's my home from home. I honestly could not rate this place any higher than I can, the owners are so friendly and helpful. Always accommodating my every need. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them.
A great location with lovely rooms.
Whilst staying in Edinburgh, I would always recommend Browns B&B.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed overnight at Browns and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pleasant, comfortable room and good choice of breakfast.
Owners very friendly and welcoming, nothing too much trouble. Shower was hot and easy to use and complimentary shampoo included.
Tea and coffee in room with biscuits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have been in the hospitality business for 32 years, and have also been a mystery shopper for many businesses within the hotel, restaurant, bar and leisure industry. I must say i was more than impressed when we recently took off to Edinburgh to celebrate my friends silver wedding to Browns Bed and Breakfast. The proprietors Norrie and Marion gave us a warm and friendly welcome, four of us booked in for 2 nights. We where shown to our rooms both rooms where fantastic, i was impressed by the decor, bedlinen, selection of hot drinks, toiletries and the little basket of emergency needs, somethings i haven't even seen in high class hotels. After a comfortable night, we went for breakfast and found a extensive range of food available we opted for the full scottish breakfast which was exquisite and enjoyed by all. I must say Norrie kept my husband replenished with fresh orange juice he had been on the malt whiskeys the night before so it was much appreciated. We decided to book an extra night which fortunately for us our room was available. We where able to call into Norries local family butchers to purchase the haggis black pudding and sausages which we had so much enjoyed at breakfast .If your looking for a Warm and friendly stay with Quality and attention to detail then this is the place to stay. Cant wait to return in December.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Put simply you are unlikely to find a B&B this close to the royal mile and princes street with the same quality of service, hospitality and warmth.

The owners are brilliant, I will remember you both for the rest of my life, no doubt about that. The rooms are all fantastic, very comfortable and warm. Breakfast is great with plenty of selection available. They really do go all out to make your stay an enjoyable one and for me at least, feel more like family.

Thank you for everything. You really made my stay an enjoyable one and if the owners are reading this, we were the couple who met because of MJ and who had lengthy morning chats with you both, "do you have trouble with this one?" Will always make me laugh.

1 Thank MJJForever
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Place was fantastic. Couldn't complain about anything. Both Marion and Norrie were really friendly even their dog was adorable. The room was beautiful, I now want my bedroom furnished like that. The decor was beautiful. As for the bedding I even had to ask where she get it from. The bed was soooo comfortable and the pillows were amazing ( I always have trouble with pillows in hotels but not here).

Breakfast was really nice too. Perfectly cooked and always fresh. Was surprised to see that not only are you offered the hot breakfast there is a selection of cerials, fresh fruit, yoghurt and even little cakes.

Both hosts were very helpful with helping us find our way around too and suggested certain thugs we might be interested in.

Would recommend to anyone who is traveling to Edinburgh. Also very close to everything. Literally a 15 minute walk up to Princess Street and 20 from the Mile.

Great. 5 stars!