“terrific”

The Dogs
Ranked #289 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: New Town
Strasbourg, France
“terrific”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

excelent food. excellent service. excellent environement. i had an excellent tie in this restaurant, the beef steak with garlic was very nice. i totally recomend it!

• Visited August 2012

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Up to expectations in a good way....”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had been told about The Dogs by various people, all of them enthusiastic. We had lunch and it did not disappoint. A half litre of wine, scrummy bread, and fish, chips and mushy peas, and an apple shortbread rice pudding, all for £30 was great value. Our waitress, Pam, was a delight. Happy, chatty & on the ball. Loos good. Decor not really quirky as many have described, indeed, rather spare I thought. Believe me, I've seen quirky!

Midlands
“Good food but sour service”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely food but our experience was spoilt by an unfriendly waiter who forgot half our group's starters and was teetering on the edge of rudeness all night. We were then asked abruptly to leave before we had finished our wine as the next group of people had arrived. We all agreed that we wouldn't go back because of their uncaring attitude

1 Thank carolinestewart4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very good VFM, interesting and locally sourced food”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I only discovered this place about six months ago, and have visited several times since. I would recommend it to anyone who wants good tasty food at a reasonable price. Although non-'foodies' are catered for (fish and chips and steaks seem to be menu standards), there are always plenty of less usual items on the menu - last night I had lamb with a horseradish and spelt stew, with fresh mint oil. Yum. The decor is 'quirky', as others have said. Accessibility-wise, there are quite a lot of stairs, but the majority have a sturdy banister to hang on to if you need it - it's only the first couple of steps in from the street that don't have a banister. Rest assured that a visit to Dogs will certainly not be boring, and I suspect you will return!

Edinburgh
“Quirky, friendly, and hearty.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had an excellent evening here. The restaurant is in a nice New Town space, with a pleasantly quirky range of decoration, furniture and cutlery. I found myself delighted rather than annoyed - this didn't feel like a designer showing off, rather the product of an owner with a clear idea of what he likes, and no-one to stop him. Which actually matched the service as well - not fawning or obsequious, just people who do what they do, and do it well. Friendly in a Scottish way (I've lived here for 9 years, I think I'm starting to get it now). The food was tasty and hearty - solid cuts of meat, with some interesting touches (beautifully spiced skirlie; deliciously sharp crystalised peel on the posset). My lamb was a bit short of the promised horseradish and I couldn't taste the mint oil - but I still enjoyed it. Really reasonable pricing on both food and wine. We'll be back.

Visited February 2013