“Close to perfection - Highly recommend”
Review of The Dogs

The Dogs
Ranked #306 of 2,507 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Sunderland
“Close to perfection - Highly recommend”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked a table last night (17th Feb 2013) as we were spending a night in Edinburgh and had read the good reviews on Trip Advisor - and we weren't disappointed. We booked for 9pm and it was still very busy when we arrived so we were told there would be a slight delay (5-10 mins) before we could order our meals, but wine arrived straight away so not a problem. We loved the surroundings, the style and informal, but excellent service, while the food was simply outstanding. We ordered lamb and mango salad and makrill pate to start and both were delicious. For the mains my wife went for the pork and butterbean stew which looked and tasted amazing. I went for the cauliflower, broccoli and stilton pie - also tremendous. Overall we couldn't speak highly enough of the place, it represented excellent value for money, we will definitely be back and have already recommended to friends. I would put the eating at The Dogs up there with the best dining experiences we've enjoyed in recent years, and we eat out a lot!

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect place”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Called last minute for a table which we got the 8.45 which was fine. Amazing food and wine for the menu, not as extensive as others but the quality is something else. What certainly go back when next visiting as the staff are great. The location is just a 2minute walk from princes Street.

“5* ????”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit, first time was excellent but just gets better.. Love the casual surroundings with great food..
This time I had devillied liver followed by a shared ribeye steak and finally a choc & rasberry tart..
Ok so down to the nity gritty.. Food is great.. We were sat in corner next to window which I think is going to turn into "our" table .. I can only rate this by saying I WILL be back especially since it was only a month since our last visit..

Thank you kindly as our hosts..

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Get yourself to The Dogs”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to The Dogs tonight for dinner with my wife to celebrate her birthday as some friends had recommended it to us and we were very impressed. It's not posh, you won't have the staff calling you "sir" or "madam" but you'll get great tasting food and honest opinions from the staff and you can tell they are all passionate about what they serve up.

We ordered a roast smoked salad salmon starter and the 18oz steak for two (we asked for it to be cooked medium and the waiter winced and told us it would be much better medium rare and we went with his suggestion and he was spot on) as well as a caraffe of wine and it was perfect in terms of speed of delivery of food, quantity (we managed what we ordered, any more and we would have struggled) and most of all taste. The steak was seriously good, I would say the best I have had in Edinburgh and the chips with it were amazing, so crispy on the outside and nice and fluffy inside, not sure how they achieved this but it worked. The smoked garlic sauce over the steak was subtle yet tasty, it just added that little bit extra that kept us savouring every mouthful.

I had checked out a few places for a birthday lunch as my wife had said she wanted steak and for somewhere decentish I was reckoning £30 per person as most menus had steak price but then you had to add side dishes, then sauces etc but here the steak for dinner was under £30 for the two of us, we had a nice caraffe of wine and a starter so all in all it came to about £45 which was very reasonable considering the quality of food. Even after I popped the cash down and started to leave the waiter came back and tried to give us change (which I had intended as a tip anyway) which was really nice as most places just assume you are leaving it for them but I was in no way taking it back as if I feel the food and the service has been good tips are deserved and here ticked all the boxes.

1 Thank Willrobb
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Went last weekend with a large party of 12. Really enjoyed the laid back style and the quirky but helpful waiter. The food was excellent and the price reasonable (about £30/head with wine and most people having two courses). Id definately go back if i was back in Edinburgh