“Better than the reviews led us to believe”

Hermitage Guest House
Ranked #369 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London
“Better than the reviews led us to believe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

After reading the reviews of this guest house I was a bit apprehensive about the staying here, but, it was quite acceptable. It is a 10 minute bus ride from Princess Street with regular bus's. It has a nice park outside and is in a quiet neighbourhood. It was what I expected for the price I paid, I had a double room, ensuite and the room, ensuite and bedding where all very clean. Yes maybe the walls looked a little bit tired but overall I was impressed at the cleanliness.
There was a dining room where they served a cooked breakfast with help yourself to cereals and orange juice, this was also very acceptable.
Overall if you want a B&B outside of the city centre I would say this one is far better than the reviews on here lead you to believe. No its not 5* but served me well.

Room Tip: I would avoid the single room at the front, above the entrance stairs as this is a very small room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank energyuk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

We were booked in for 5 nights from 8-13 September 2011 at Hermitage Guest House. We arrived to be sent 'next door' to Cameron House ?I was told I could only stay in this room for 1 night ! My room which would have slept 4 - no plug in basin/only two of the lights had bulbs in/ could sit on the loo and my knees were in the shower/longlife milk past sellby date - tasted metallic/the room was cold/my sister's 'ensuite' was a basin adjoining a toilet above which was the shower (no separation!).Next morning I visited my 'new room' - tiny/ with even smaller bathroom at the back of the house (my sister decided to stay put). I insisted I be given a room in Hermitage guest house- another room which would have slept 4 ! I sat on the loo and my knees were in the shower ! the breakfasts were appalling - no milk on the table/ recognised the juice - from a cheap overseas store - watery/cold toast. The dining room had a corner of boxes etc and general debris in it. The dining room of Cameron House was filled with mattresses/beds/chairs etc. The family running these establishments have not a jot of interest in the wellbeing of their guests - sadly the mother and father had a limited degree of english (although the daughter was fluent and sharp). This guesthouse has a sign which says it is AA 3* star rated. I have checked today with the AA and their registration is no longer in existence.Their next door property 'Cameron House' is nowhere to be found! The Edinburgh tourist board do not have them listed either. We were charged £55 per night for a single room. THIS IS A COMPLETE RIP - OFF.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan C

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Being the Fringe Festival time, this was the only single room I could find in Edinburgh that too only for 2 days. The room is TINY and the Bathroom is the Smallest space I have ever seen. There is no place for more than a large back pack or a small cabin Size suitcase in the single room unless it is kept standing upright.
There was a long wait for Breakfast as there are limited seats and they bring it out pre plated based on what u request for the previous night. My B/F got mixed with someone else's and the lady barely spoke English for me to clarify. Only 1 girl (Tina) speaks English but goes to university so if she isn't around, unless you speak Chinese you won't have much Joy!

Having said that, for that price during the festival (45 Pounds per night) I was happy that it even had an en suite and the room was clean and had a great view of the park. Also the Bus stand is right outside the house with No 12 and 25 going to Princes street so easy to commute. The Tesco super market is closeby so all in all good Location, clean room and bathroom. I would stay here again altho I would prefer a bigger room if possible.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank anvin23
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The single room I had was comfortable but had no hair dryer. Location is good as the bus stop into the city centre is on the same street only a few metres walk. It is not luxurious but good value for money. The guesthouse was full when we stayed there so even we had to book (and select) breakfast for a certain time we had to wait a while as the breakfast room was full. Otherwise the room and facilities were not luxurious but comfortable enough.

Room Tip: no hair dryer in room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ConnieIreland
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

Basic but ok if you're not too fussy ( your wife/ girlfriend/ boyfriend wouldn't be impressed !). Rooms small and not serviced for either of our 3 night stays. Pleasant people, just need to improve on housekeeping.
Never seen a milkjug on the breakfast table, very bizarre.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Guest house in nice location opposite park, free parking right outside (huge bonus!!). Guest house a bit dated, wallpaper a bit loose in places, smallish bedroom with tiny cupboard shower room ( I couldn't close the door whilst sat on the loo!), nasty plastic sink in room. Otherwise the bed was clean, warm and comfortable. For one night for the price was absolutely adequate. Breakfast was fantastic and freshly cooked - ordered the night before. Just don't go expecting crystal chandeliers and marble staircases or you'll be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Irish Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

I booked a twin room for one night in this accommodation over the phone a few days before I was due to arrive in Edinburgh in December 2009. Looking back, the ready availability of rooms should have sounded alarm bells as to why this guest house was not in demand - unfortunately, I was I was to find out the reasons why within a short matter of days.

Due to an traffic accident, my travelling partner was incapacitated the day before arrival, rendering him unable to travel to Edinburgh. I promptly contacted Hermitage Guest House, only to be told a number of lies relating to my booking. First of all - they told me that I could only cancel my booking if I had made the initial booking by calling directly in person (which I had three days earlier), and that I could not legitimately cancel if (as they claimed that) I had booked with something called StayAdvisor. I had never heard of such a service, and told them so. After discussion with an un-named "colleague", this story was changed to no cancellations 72 hours before the arrival.

I then informed the woman on the other end of the line that the booking had been initially made within 72 hours of arrival, and that to fulfil her stated policy I would have needed to cancel before I even made the booking! Again, no empathy to the situation or flexibility was shown. I asked whether they would be able to advertise the room as available the next day - thus profiting two-fold despite the fact that a booking had been cancelled a day in advance. No answer was forthcoming.

I stayed in this guest house before in 2007 under previous management (Ronnie) and it was a thoroughly pleasant experience. However, the cynical profiteering and complete lack of empathy that was displayed by the current management has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I would advise all travellers to think twice before booking with thsi accommodation, as it is apparent that the only concern of the owners is to make a quick buck at the expense of the tourist. I made it clear to the management that I intend never to set foot in this "guest house" again and will be advising friends, colleagues and acquaintances to do the same to avoid such an incredibly poor and negative experience.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends