“Nice ”

Ranked #315 of 2,650 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian, Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Family run restaurant in the city centre now celebrating 20 years in business and with a fresh new look and menu! Great for all parties, couples,families and small/large groups of up to 50! We are open most hours of the day. We welcome booking or walk-ins! Regards City
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Good environment and nice food. Mostly fried food, so don't expect healthy food! Good sticky toffee pudding!

Marco P, Owner at The City Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for reviewing us. Happy to hear you enjoyed the sticky toffee pudding (its one of the most popular on the menu!)

look forward to seeing you soon.

kind regards

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The City Restaurant owners have clearly made an effort to create an environment that is a cut above your average Chippy. The decor is clean, modern and bright. If you can get a window seat either downstairs or up, it's a great place to watch the world go by. What I particularly like about this place is that the staff are always friendly and welcoming and actually seem happy to be at work!
I visited yesterday with my five yr old in tow and the staff were quite happy to let us wander around while my picky daughter decided where she wanted to sit. We finally found ourselves ensconsed upstairs overlooking the street. The staff couldn't have been more attentive. When my daughter started to get fidgety, a colouring book and pens duly arrived.
I only come here for fish and chips, or chippy type grub, because to me this is the City Restaurant's focus. However, pizzas, pastas, burgers and the like are offered and plenty of others were digging in.
I like the fact that you can order salad with your fish and chips for a nominal fee, as it can be quite a bit of stodge to digest without it. The fish was lovely and fresh and fried to perfection, as were the chips. It was great to see a bit of rocket has been introduced to the salad, as in the passed it was iceberg heavy. I was also happy that salad dressing was available. I would like to see more rocket/watercress/lamb's lettuce involved but I appreciate the taste of some of the punters looking for a more traditional meal. Lovely to have delicious home-made coleslaw and the tartare sauce was super. Think it's a bit odd to include mushy peas with salad but hey, I didn't ask it to be taken off.
As an English person, I think it's a bit of a shame that only haddock is on the menu. Where I grew up options of cod, plaice, rock eel and haddock was the norm. This isn't a slight on The City Restaurant, but in might be a great idea for the management. However, they seem to be doing a good job at the mo. and who am I to say?
Gone are the days when fish and chips was a cheap cheap option, and bearing in mind the amount of staff, friendliness and attention to detail the price is reasonable.
This is good, fresh, unpretentious grub in a friendly and happy place and both my daughter and I would be happy to recommend. (P.S. Sorry to any staff that had to pick my daughter's misguided peas up off of the floor).

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your wonderful review. Really delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit.
We currently only have Haddock and Cod on the menu, but looking to revamp the menu and restaurant next year and have taken your comments on board. I agree that we should offer more types of fish also!

Our fish and chips is our bread and butter, but the whole menu has grown in popularity and we always look to improve.

My team were very happy to read your review and we all hope to see you again soon.

Don't worry, its common for us to tidy up after kids, all part of the fun!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

On our way back from Edinburgh Castle, we stopped here for lunch and what a nice choice. The menu selection was good and each of our choices were very tasty and the service was outstanding.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your review. Delighted to hear that the service was outstanding, I have passed on that message which the team thanked. Also happy to hear that you enjoyed overall.

Hope you can visit us again soon.

kind regards

Reviewed May 31, 2014

After a week of eating out, we realized we had very different tastes, and thought it would be impossible for each of us to get a favourite dish in one restaurant. This place has it all! The selection was great, and so was the flavour. Upstairs is quieter, same food, same friendly staff.

Thank you Steve for your review. We have many groups dining in our restaurant frequently and it is probably due to the reasons you have mentioned.

An extensive menu available most of the day.

Thank you again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Great value breakfast. Lovely big white rock with two decent pieces of bacon in it. My friend had the fish and chips and said they were lovely and fresh. Tasty batter. The lady at the counter with the long Brown hair very friendly and chatty. Great chip shop and breakfast was fab.

Thank you Pamela for your great comments. Fish and chips is our signature dish but its good to hear comments on other dishes.

Delighted to hear of your satisfaction and look forward to your next visit.