“Basic, value for money, good staff”

Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #112 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Basic, value for money, good staff”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I'm a regular business traveller for a Scottish charity and when in Edinburgh - which is almost fortnightly - this is my budget hotel of choice. It's very handy for Haymarket station and only a 10min walk from Princes St/city-centre. As a series of old town houses joined together, all the rooms are different but all the rooms are basic,, clean, but with good beds and pillows. Remember it's "no frills" so don't expect toiletries, robes, biscuits on the tea/coffee tray etc. the staff are always bright and cheery. The food is mediocre at best but there are plenty of places nearby to find breakfast or an evening meal.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room at the back: traffic on the cobbled streets at the fro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank FergieMeldrum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Prior to my stay here, I was almost spoilt by staying at the Heathrow Central Travelodge which was a World apart to this one. My room was dusty, the television didn't give a clear picture all evening and the light/razor facility on the mirror in the bathroom did not work. There was also some sort of old/musty smell in the room. On checking out, there was nobody available at reception so I was waiting a few minutes before leaving my keys and going. You'd expect the brand to be the same wherever you go in the country, shame this one let them down.

My only highlight was the staff member when I checked in who gave me a great, detailed explanation of what to do in Edinburgh and provided me with maps to help me get around.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank James A
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Services at Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
We do not expect our customers to be allocated a room which has not been cleaned to our high standards James A, and we are sorry to learn of your disappointment with our Edinburgh Haymarket hotel. Our rooms should also contain facilities which are in good working order, and we would like to be able to investigate the concerns you have raised. In order for us to do this please could you visit our website and use the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Another night in a Travelodge family room - this time another return visit to the Haymarket in Edinburgh. It's only a stone's throw from the rail station at Haymarket (complete with tram stop soon to become operational??). Unlike most TL's this is a period property that blends nicely into a smart part of Edinburgh. The usual family room formula of a double and 2 single Z beds didn't seem so cramped here because our room was larger than at most of their hotels. Friendly, welcoming and helpful staff - but we were loking for a place to rest our heads and so no experience of the food,bar,etc.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Railwaynomad
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at the Haymarket Travelodge during the Edinburgh Hogmanay festival. Ordinarily, we would avoid chain hotels but as options were limited for this time of year we chose the Travelodge because it was convenient and reasonably priced.

The hotel exceeded our expectations. It is an old building that has been refurbished and I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very large, spacious and warm and the windows could be opened for fresh air. The bathroom is also spacious, including a bath. The bed was big and comfy and the linen was fresh and simple.

The reception staff were all really friendly and there is a system where you hand in your key when you leave and request it back upon return to the hotel. Unusual - but we didn't have to worry about losing it! There was always someone at the desk to give it back to us.

We didn't try out the bar or restaurant but it was well attended at all times which is always a good sign.

The location is good. Near the train station and a 15 minute to the centre of Edinburgh.

Would thoroughly recommend for anyone who is unsure!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eithne_Johnston
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed in this hotel from Wednesday 22nd January to Monday 27th January 2014. Overall, I cannot fault it. Being just around the corner from Haymarket railway station made it easy to get to, even for those who have never been to Edinburgh before (such as myself). Check in was easy and I was greeted by a very friendly member of staff (Sadly I cannot remember any names), who gladly gave me a map of Edinburgh which was very helpful. Having said that, I found all staff members to be extremely professional and approachable.

My room was very comfortable and spacious. I had no issues in getting a good nights sleep and was impressed with the free tea and coffee that was replenished daily. A number of TV channels are available to view for free which is good.

I pre-paid for breakfast and found it to be value for money. Dinner was also delicious and good value. The bar/cafe area at the hotel is great. Only once did I find it too busy to get a seat, however I was able to return a short while later and there was no problem.

Overall therefore I would 100% recommend this hotel. It is a perfect place for anyone visiting Edinburgh and is incredibly good value for money. Travelling alone I felt comfortable at all times. Well done all and keep up the good work!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

2 Thank Liam H
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

As expected, room was basic but very clean. No frills (remember your own shampoo etc.) but comfortable bed. Bathroom bare but clean. My room was at the back and surprisingly silent for a Friday night. Edinburgh airport Airlink bus, and Glasgow Citylink bus stops two minutes away. I left early so didn't use cafe/bar.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Peggy_Babcock
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Edinburgh Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your review Peggy_Babcock, it is great to hear that you found our beds to be comfortable and rooms to be clean. Unfortunately we do not provide toiletries in the rooms as standard. We do however have essential toiletries available in vending machines in reception for guests to purchase.
Lochgelly, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed this hotel as I was in Edinburgh for a Christmas party. The building is old and although the room was small adequate for the solo traveller, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was adequate. As I have booked in advance the room was £21 so it was well worth the money.

The staff were very helpful. Special mention to David who chatted to myself and a colleague whilst serving us a pre event drink and arranging a taxi to take us to the party.

The breakfast was buffet style but excellent with the buffet being topped up regularly to ensure that the hot food was fresh.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends