Gourmet Burger Kitchen (Edinburgh)
Ranked #874 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: Serving up gourmet burgers in the UK since 2001. Offering a variety of delicious burgers, homemade sauces and seriously good milkshakes.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

...and the other guys I was with, clearly, are. They loved the place but it all seems a bit basic but expensive to me.

I don't mind queuing up to order and collect my food in a fast food joint... that's the deal, you do the work, we turn you around pretty damned quick and you pay less for the privilege. But when I'm paying between £7 and £9.50 for my burger, £3.25 for the fries and add-ons for extra cheese etc we're getting into proper restaurant prices so I probably want proper restaurant service.

That said, the food was of good quality and the place is certainly very popular... maybe too popular. We went on a Saturday lunchtime and were the second group through the door and ordering yet we had to wait a fair time for the food to arrive. The service contrived to seem both frantic and slow at the same time.

If you like this sort of place then you'll love it (like the others in my group) if you're more like me, then you'll be happier in one of the hundreds of 'proper' cafes or restaurants around Edinburgh

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just home from Edinburgh Went to gbk 9 Adults Got parked right at the door Food wonderful Best and biggest burgers my husband sons and I have ever had .We will be back c

1  Thank peterpan43
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Went here for the first time today. Service was fantastic and the food was so tasty. I would so recommend this restaurant and will definately be going back.

Could benefit from a little spruce up but overall fantastic.

1  Thank Liz N
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We were taken aback by how expensive this place is when it's not even table service! It cost £15 for a burger, skinny fries (I've never seen fries so ridiculously thin!) and a small house wine or bottle of san Miguel. The burger was good enough quality, but far better can be had round the corner at wannaburger for a fraction of the price. I won't be back.

1  Thank Gillian B
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was out with my friends for lunch and fancied a pub lunch - we settled on this place.
Seated at table, told everything that wasn't available on the menu - it went on - and were left to pay at the till then retake our seats. And strangely help ourselves to water and er peanuts in shells.
the server behind the till was really nice but I think so got a bit confused with an order at one point and so she got 'told off' by the manager. I hate that.
I ordered a mushroom veggie burger which was sopping wet and had soaked the bun. i was like eating soggy bread with a giant portobello mushroom on it. the ingredients had made it look like this was going to come in a different form but I had chosen badly too i think. Friends said theirs were ok but for a burger and a drink I was just shy of £15 which for the most disgusting burger was not good. could have gone to burger king and been happier at 1/3 of price!
Would not recommend ever. Too expensive, lack of atmosphere and an irritable place. Sorry.