“Was a big mistake to choose this one”

Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile
Ranked #77 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Budapest, Hungary
“Was a big mistake to choose this one”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Terrible experience! we were "hosted" under ground in a room which was 70% below the surface. 2 nights nearly no sleep, as I was suffering a strong allergy there. (nowhere else, despite of I am travelling a lot). - despite our reservation was for upper level rooms!
Our friends were complained on the room, so they were put on upper level. that was no good either, as the paper thin walls/doors let all noise came in.

this one should not be a hotel.

breakfast was ok, staff acceptable, nothing special.

but all in all, terrible experience. if they treat a guest like this, can you imagine what you can expect? be prepared for any surprise, if you take this! I would recommend to go somewhere else, as for this price there are plenty better choices. even the location is just average, as better hotels were close to the center!

Room Tip: First of all, make your stay as short as possible, as Edinburgh is just a 1 night 2 days town, you c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
hiexpressrm, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am sorry you feel you should not have chosen to stay at this hotel. The vast majority of reviewers on this site, and similar sites, share a different opinion to you and I am truly sorry you do not feel the same as them. Our guest service team is available 24 hours and work tirelessly to ensure each and every guest enjoys their stay. We do our best to accommodate all guest requests and it is unfortunate on this occasion we were unable to accommodate you on a higher floor. I would look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel should you choose to give us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed 3 nights here. Considering we had already been in London and Oxford in budget-friendly B&Bs, we were looking forward to a familiar hotel chain. The hotel did not disappoint in many ways. The rooms were modern and clean. The front desk staff was incredibly friendly for our entire stay--meaning new faces each day and every person was as wonderful as the next. The location is fantastic as the hotel is situated perfectly, in relation to the Royal Mile, about halfway between Hollyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle. I found the breakfast selection to be fabulous with several yogurts, oatmeal, croissants and a coffee/espresso/café au lait machine available.

Some of the disappointing aspects:
-My husband chose the hot breakfast items and ended up just eating toast as opposed to the odd dry sausages and watery eggs.
-The shower did not drain. The water was literally over my feet within a couple of minutes which I find disgusting.
-The bedding consisted of a sheet over the mattress and a rather comfy duvet--but that is all. No flat sheet. Just one duvet and a faux blanket on the end of the bed for decoration...
-The mattress, oh the mattress! A thin pad with springs that drove into my back for 3 nights.

For the price, I am certain I could have slept better elsewhere. However, the hotel is clean and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate the positive comments with regard to the staff and the level of service you received. I was sorry to hear you did not find the mattress comfortable – often this is dependent on each individual’s preference but our housekeeping team do regularly monitor the condition of all mattresses to ensure all guests can experience a comfortable stay. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Edinburgh.
Sunningdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is an excellent business style hotel in a central location. We were looking for a night's basic accommodation in between Waverley station and the university, so it fitted the bill. We had a family room with fold-out bed, which my daughter said was a little hard! The bathroom was nice with an interesting space-saving door that acted as either bathroom door or loo door – depending. The self-service breakfast is very basic and my wife was critical of the slightly unappetising sausages... but I found it OK. And the staff were very polite and helpful. Recommended for a brief, basic stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chingachgook2
hiexpressrm, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Our family rooms offer great value as kids stay free and our complimentary breakfast is a great way to start a busy day in town – I am sorry your wife did not like the sausages but I am glad you enjoyed them. I hope to welcome you back to Edinburgh soon.
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Can't see why this gets such good reviews. It's a typical Holiday Inn Express, just like the others. Good points: great location, quiet room with excellent aircon, friendly service, secure, very clean throughout. Bad points: spartan room with few facilities, quite small, breakfast very dull (cheap sausages and no bacon? jam but no marmite?) but nice idea to have a tv in the breakfast room. Very expensive (£150) for what you get. There are other cheap hotels nearby that are 2/3 the price and give you something very similar.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am sorry to read that you do not agree with the majority of reviewers on this site. As a Holiday Inn Express we are bound by Brand Standards which dictates things such as our breakfast menu and room sizes and amenities. What we feel sets us apart from other Holiday Inn Expresses is our staff and the service we provide. We always ensure we are competitively priced within our market and I am disappointed you felt the hotel was expensive – events and demand in Edinburgh can cause prices to rise throughout the year but on all our booking sites prices and amenities are very clear so guests do not have any surprises when they arrive. I would hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to Edinburgh.
Warrensburg
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Having stayed in many a Holiday Inn in the States, I was amazed at the amenities offered by the hotel in Edinburgh! The location is wonderful -- a quick walk to the Royal Mile and the staff was friendly and happy to give directions or suggestions. The continental breakfast was simply delicious with many different hot choices as well as cereal and other options which made the stay a very good value. The only downside was that the in-room Wifi code had to be renewed at the front desk every day and was not very compatible with the device I was using. I was impressed with the Eco-friendly room-card system that only allowed the lights to be turned on when the card was inserted in the designated slot, limiting waste. In short, a nice experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ambarxperla
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and agree with many other reviewers on this suite that the hotel is in a fantastic location. Our Free Wi-Fi and breakfast adds great value to your stay in Edinburgh. We have recently been awarded a Gold award for the second year running in the Green Tourism Business Scheme and our entire staff are proud that their efforts are recognized not only by the board of green tourism but guests such as yourselves also.
Port Angeles, Washington
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is located so close to all the sights in Edinburgh. The room was comfortable, quiet, clean and large. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful for everything we needed. The breakfast had lots to offer. We would recommend this hotel highly. It was a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
hiexpressrm, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel on any future visits to Edinburgh.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great place to stay for our weekend visit to Edinburgh. Located right on the Royal Mile so walking to attractions or buses was quick. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Breakfast was plentiful and varied. Room key access to lift left us feeling more secure. Definitely enjoyed our stay, heartily recommended!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and we are very lucky to be located within close walking distance to many of Edinburgh’s favourite attractions. We aim to offer all guests a safe and comfortable stay and I am glad on this occasion you agree we did this. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel on any future visits to Edinburgh.