“Good lunch - but play safe!”
Review of La P'tite Folie

La P'tite Folie
Ranked #193 of 2,592 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: La P'tite Folie is situated in the heart of Edinburgh. The Tudor House restaurant offers a lively and charmingly atmosphere to enjoy traditional French cuisine. Specialities include home made chicken liver pate, aumoniere filled with brie and ratatouille with a tomato coulis, and cider marinated pork escalope with apple and calvados sauce, all of which can be complimented by selecting one of the many wines on offer from around the globe. Indeed, this branch of La P'tite Folie has its own separate wine bar area and serves light lunches as well as other delicious French cuisine in an unpretentious manner that ensures many of its customers become regulars.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our safe-choice fixed-price lunches earlier this week. Having reserved, we were shown to a dull mid-room table, but by asking firmly we then got a good table by the window.. Service was prompt and efficient, though a little frosty and Mitteleuropeisch: the prices and the setting made up for that! Our main course fish and beef dishes came cooked a point, after the fairly competent starters - though the leek and potato soup could have had some more body and seasoning, the melon and the goat's cheese bruschetta was simply yum. Portion sizes are just right for lunchtime - I'm a big lad who lives in Yorkshire, where the helping sizes sometimes even defeat me. So relax, take your time, and have three courses!

This place seems popular with the financial services guys and the ladies who lunch - yes, that clear a gender divide, to my eyes - and I don't know what the evening a la carte would turn out like. But we had a thoroughly decent lunch for less than we expected - recommended for this, at least.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

As experienced festivalgoers we all know to make allowances for service when Edinburgh restaurants are packed for the festival and this is written with that in mind. The staff at front of house dashed around and did a good job but there appeared to have been problems in the kitchen as our food was not as hot as it should have been and our order was not carried out correctly - we made do though.

No sign of the owners when we were there

2  Thank Russell M
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food, would have loved more! I loved this little place! A very pleasant if rather loud spot.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Some facts; the wine list is good, the staff are friendly and efficient but not French and don't speak French (Polish with a few pidgin French words). Ultimately one normally visits restaurants for the food and the atmosphere.

We were a group of three, two of whom had filet steaks and the third had a dish that seemed perfectly acceptable. One of our steaks was ordered as medium-rare and the second was ordered as medium-well. The medium-well steak was completely overcooked and was reminiscent of those "grey" tasteless steaks you got in English pubs about 30 years ago. The medium-rare steak was also overlooked without any hint of any pinkness in colour. There was no question of any misunderstanding between us and our server - on arrival with our orders she asked whose was the medium-rare and whose was the medium-well. The potato accompanying the steaks, which I believe was "gratin", was greenish in colour. The meat in my ("medium-rare") filet was stringy and I think it was a piece of rump steak rather than filet. Both me and my friend with the other steak decided to quietly eat our meals as delivered rather than send them back and thereby completely disrupt our evening and dining experience with our other friend. Our steaks were not completely tasteless but they fell a long way short of normal expectations. I tasted my greenish potato slab but, even though I was encouraged by a good glass of wine, I couldn't bring myself to eat it all.

Note; the filet steak came with bernaise sauce as standard which we requested "on the side". Using sauces to disguise certain failings is an old trick in the restaurant business.

I live in France and although I find it hard to believe that a French cook would serve up what we received during our visit I still think La P'tite Folie has potential. In particular the lunch menu looks interesting and I note from some of the reviews below that people have enjoyed good lunches here. As for dinner be more careful.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The best thing about this restaurant is the actual room, a lovely old upstairs setting. All goes downhill from there though. Visited with friends and found the service very slow and the waiter somewhat patronising. The basket of bread provided contained 8 thin slices of small french stick (one and a quarter each), while the salad equated to one teaspoonfull each. The starters and mains were ok but the portions were miniscule for the prices, I had lamb shank for main which was probably the biggest dish on the table, the fish was tiny. We were provided with one small dish of veg and potatoes between 6 people and had to ask for another one. The wine was good but again you pay a premium price. I have been to the other branch of this restaurant and much prefer it, less pretentious and slightly more generous with servings.