“Excellent food, great service. Favourite in Edinburgh” 5 of 5 bubbles

Himalaya Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #940 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Bruntsfield
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, great service. Favourite in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This restaurant is a real gem. There are plenty of Indian restaurants in Edinburgh but this one is by far my favourite. The food is spectacular (Chicken specials are particularly fantastic) and the service is excellent. I've been here in large and intimate groups and both are very comfortable despite the size of the place. If you're looking for a great Indian with service to match this is your place!

• Visited August 2012

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best Indian in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have visited the Himalaya many many times and had numerous take-away's and I have alway found the standard to be a high as anywhere I've ever eaten a curry.
I visited the Himalaya recently and although many others have commented that it is often a little tight for space, I'm sure this helps the great atmosphere when it's busy.
We had assorted starters, pakora, mince samosa, and chicken kebab all well cooked, well presented and very tasty. For mains, I had the North Indian chilli garlic chicken, but I always do when I eat in the Himalaya because it's suberb!! My companions had kashmir chicken and chicken tikka bhuna with some pilau rice and a delicious peshwari nan bread. We found the service to be smart and very attentive. You really can't go wrong with the Himalaya

• Visited August 2012
Scotland/Sanibel
“Well this was excellent ! Watch out for some of the reviews!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I see this languishing in the lower top 40 of Edinburgh curry houses. I must be a real addict as I seem to have eaten in over half of the ones rated hgher! There is such excellent choice in Edinburgh.

Firstly this restaurant's reviews show all the worst features of TripAdvisor. Some people are rating the carryoot service , some the actual restaurant. Then, out of just ten reviews, about half, including both very good and dreadful reviews, have posted only one to three reviews total; so one can assume that most of these are totally bogus.

So here is an accurate summary as far as I can judge. The restaurant is comfortable and our service throughout, on quite a busy night, was excellent if slow.

The sundries including the giant nan are very good. I ordered a vedgetable rogan gosht, not even on the menu , and it was excellent as was the vedgie rice and tarka dhal. My daughter had a chicken dish which also met with her approval.

My son-in-law opted for an item which featured whole chillies sellected for their virulance. It seemed hotter than a phal to me, hotter'n hell as they say in the U.S., so I could not judge it. I do not think a parrot could have eaten it and.... it caused some degree of stomach upset... If I had eaten it ,I would have suffered a full scale Colonel Bloodknock explosion aft.

So, to sum up, I at least will be happy going back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Needs to improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

I've gone to the Himalaya for a number of years now and have to admit the standard of food has gone way down. Although portion sizes are good our main courses lacked freshness and zest. The decor in general looks tired and overall the restaurant would benefit from a revamp. When you compare what's available elsewhere in town it doesn't offer good value for money. I hope it improves soon as it used to be a favourite but won't be back until it changes dramatically.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EgunRonnie
“Cold food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I recently had the misfortune of ordering two dishes to be delivered to my home. I should have been aware of the outcome after having to give my address three times to the restaurant. Twenty minutes before the food arrived, I received a phone call asking for the fourth time to confirm my address and where exactly I lived. (which is nearby within their 2 mile zone) When the food did arrive, it was cold. Tepid.

I called back, explained the situation, and was told that they could not guarantee that food would arrive hot (a point not made clear when I booked the order). He did however offer to send out a replacement meal.

The second serving arrived, and the two dishes bore no resemblance to the first dishes. Not in colour or in texture. Again, the food was tepid. The sauces were solid with a glazed appearance. One of the dishes had a suspicious mixture of colours as if the dish had been recombined from other portions.

The vegetable pakora appeared also to have been reconstituted from other food items - perhaps cooked twice. The texture was crispy and flaky, with overcooked "spider legs" in place of the usual onion.

I phoned the manager back to complain about the appearance of the food. He became cross and advised that in hundreds of dishes served he had never received a single complaint. Noticing the other complaints on this site and the discounts given to diners who were dissatisfied with their meal I can only conclude that this statement was dubious.

• Visited February 2012