“Rude & judgemental waitress”

Whighams Wine Cellars
Reserve with OpenTable
Whighams Wine Cellars is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #313 of 2,556 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Oldest wine cellar in Scotland. Steeped in history, stone caves, an oval bar and separate dining area. Seafood, steak, Scottish fare. Remarkable wine list and warm Scottish hospitality a speciality!
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

4 of us thought we would visit an old haunt of our Uni days. Visiting after the rugby international. Very pleased with wine list and it felt nostalgic even although it's now four times the size it used to be. All good until the waitress asked if we would like another bottle of wine. We replied no as we were going on soon for dinner. She replied anywhere nice? We told her where and she raised her eyebrows, rolled her eyes and whisked the wine bottle and cooler off the table and said well each to their own!!! We all found this judgemental and offensive. We advised the management and my friend advised her prior to leaving that she was offensive. I am in the hospitality industry and this was not hospitable. I'd be horrified if any of my staff spoke to a customer in this manner. Anyway we left went to our restaurant of choice and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the friendly service from the French girl who served us all evening. I bet she liked her £20 tip whilst wighams girl gets a lesson in manners from the manager.

Whighams-Manager, General Manager at Whighams Wine Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

I was embarrassed upon reading your review that a member of my staff would act this way towards a customer. I understand that one of the Managers spoke with you on the night in question, however this is not a true reflection of the customer service we pride ourselves on at Whighams. I have addressed this issue internally with the member of staff and please understand that this sort of 'service' is not tolerated by myself.
I hope your meal was enjoyable and that you had a good fun night in Whighams up until that point. I would appreciate if you have time to contact me direct.
Regards
manager@whighams.com

There are newer reviews for Whighams Wine Cellars

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We came here on a Sunday evening when they happened to have live jazz music. This place was surprisingly not very crowded. Service here was very good and the food was excellent.

Whighams-Manager, General Manager at Whighams Wine Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for visiting Whighams and I am pleased to hear to had an enjoyable evening during one of our nights of Jazz.
We aim to provide a welcoming environment for Sunday night Jazz, therefore diners, drinkers and people wishing to enjoy the music all have an enjoyable experience.
I hope to welcome you back into Whighams again soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Second visit here but first time I'd dined. Really great bar and absolutely loved the booths in the vaulted cellar part of the bar. Really good drinks range on offer, including real ale and I noticed a 'Three Hop 'lager brewed just a few miles down the road by a local brewery... great to discover locally produced stuff.. Fish dominated the menu which had a good choice, not too extensive, which always gives you comfort they know what they're doing and choose to do it well... Fish cakes and lobster were both really good and some nice cheese to finish off. A great meal. Service was a little slow and a bit surly and the restaurant part of it could be de-formalised a bit to fit more into the bar atmosphere.. Laid out a bit too strictly... Will definitely return though.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Was enjoying a good pint in a wonderful ambience when I then decided to have a quick bite to eat.
Friendly staff showed me to my table, where I then ordered the half lobster (priced at under a tenner!!). The lobster was so tasty; complimented with two lovely glasses of wine....excellent. Unbelievable value and quality. Whighams now entered into my own personal 'good food guide'[ for future reference.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

My friends and I went here as it was close to where we were staying. We had a totally fun and memorable time. The food was great and we happened to be there on a night when a jazz band was playing. What fun we had. This was my favourite night in Edinburgh.

Whighams-Manager, General Manager at Whighams Wine Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Margaret,

Thank you for your review of Whighams and we are pleased you had an enjoyable evening. We have live Jazz at Whighams every Sunday evening and Blues the first Tuesday of every month.

We look forward to seeing you in Whighams again soon to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a night of good music, food and wine.

Regards