“Very disappointed”

Stac Polly - Dublin Street
Ranked #385 of 2,590 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Had made booking well in advance for Christmas period lunch but when my family and I turned up there was no sign of our reservation. We were placed at two tiny bar tables that were differing heights and dirty with candle wax. Waiter was less than interested. We left before ordering and were lucky enough to be made very welcome at the Magnum where we had a wonderful meal.

1  Thank mintyaerogreen6

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We dined as a family (all adults), and while we enjoyed our meals (the haggis in pastry was lovely, and the lamb shank very good too) the prices seemed higher than were really justified (maybe they had kept the Festival season menus out too long). The restaurant wasn't busy, which was a little surprising, as it really wasn't that bad, just not great. Would we go back? Well, I wouldn't refuse if someone else was paying, but there are an awful lot of good restaurants in this most charming of cities.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went here on Saturday night and had a fantastic dinner. The haggis wrapped in pastry were just delightful. We had venison and lamb for our mains and they were both cooked to perfection. The service was friendly and the wine was equally good. My partner had the walnut desert, which she wasn't entirely keen on but we would still go again as the rest of the meal was top notch

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We ate at the Restaurant in St Mary's Street, everything superb although we were the only ones there as it was quite early. Loved the lamb and the cranachan. Would definitely return. Want to sample the gins next time!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I'm writing this in protest of some of the poor reviews this restaurant has received in the past. I started coming here in 2002 with my sisters and uncle after my mum died. It became our regular place to catch up with each other over some fantastic food and in gorgeous surroundings. We've had lunch here but in the last 10yrs it's generally been dinner we've come for. There have been many different waiters and waitresses and probably hundreds of different items on the menu yet I can honestly say that we have never, ever had bad service and certainly never had a bad meal. The food is outstanding every single time. The staff are friendly and very professional, even when they are busy. It is expensive, there's no denying that, but you get exactly what you pay for and I believe it's worth every penny. I know I'll continue to come here for many years to come. I recommend this restaurant to all my friends, no one I know has been disappointed so please do give it a try!