“Very disappointed”
Review of The Raj Restaurant - CLOSED

The Raj Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A quirky, popular Indian restaurant near the Britannia Yacht and overlooking the Shore at Leith, Edinburgh's historic seaport. The Raj theme extends from the soldier figurines and British flag behind the exotic blue bar to the predominantly Bangladeshi/North Indian menu. Appropriately for the location, there's a selection of Goan and seafood specialties. Among the best house specials are a gorgeous amere murgh; chicken cooked with fresh mango and mild spices, finished with cream and flaked almonds, and aromatic chicken. The latter is one of 14 dishes created by winners of the International Indian Chef of the Year, an annual cook-off organised by Raj's entrepreneurial owner, Tommy Miah. A weekday business crowd gives way to families and friends on Saturdays and Sundays. A place to go with friends more than a loved one.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I hadn't been into the Raj for a long time, but can remember when it first opened (years ago).
Being back in Edinburgh for a few days we decided to re-visit it and see if it was as good as it used to be. In hindsight I wish we hadn't bothered.
We went on a Saturday early December, and the place was practically empty...not a good sign, when most places are usually packed with Xmas parties. It was also freezing, so much so that the woman at the table next to us had her coat on.
We ordered our meal, and the starters arrived fairly quickly but we then waited for almost an hour with nothing else arriving. And it wasn't just our table, everyone seemed to be having a long wait.
The staff seemed to be more concerned with getting out their takeaway orders.......the phone rang continually whilst we were there, instead of dealing with the people in the restaurant.
Eventually I had to go to speak to the manager and tell him that if we weren't served within the next ten minutes we would be paying for our starters and drinks and going. This spurred him on a little, and the food did eventually arrive. (To give him his due he also offered us a free drink)
The food was average, not as good as I remember it.Unfortunately, I think it'll be a long time before I head into this restaurant again.

1  Thank Shonzy

Reviewed December 2, 2012

First visit to this curry house had a table by the window with nice views - food was very good, staff friendly and attentive and good value for money. would visit again if in this area

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I had a take away.. and I we had 3 chicken . they were all good very tasty except for the fact that that has used food colour. but taste wise no complains. the interior looked quite alright. yes I will eat here again. probably the same dishes.

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Friendly attentive staff. High quality of food. The starter of very well flavoured lamb on a bed of bhaji was new to me and delicious. Main dish was equally tasty as was aubergine side dish. I was on business trip, so was alone but there was no problem with that. I will return when next in Leith.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I visit the Raj 5-8 times per year (always sat night). I always feel it's great value for money, with great food and good atmosphere. However tonight (thursday) for the first time i visited during the week. It had a a la carte menu at £9.95 pp. It includes any starter, most mains (95% off), rice or nan and a dessert. The portions were exactly the same size as normal and the taste as good as i've come to know. Service was excellent as usual. 10/10.