“You don't need it to rain to enjoy your gabardine!”
Review of Barioja Tapas Bar - CLOSED

Barioja Tapas Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Coldstream, Scotland, United Kingdom
“You don't need it to rain to enjoy your gabardine!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Arrived at Barioja today and received instant attention, it was full except for 2 tables, a 2 seater and a 4 seater. No problem when I asked for the larger table, I hate being cramped.

We were served an excellent Rioja, very impressive, full of flavour and as smooth as velvet, perhaps even smoother. For food we choose a chicken with prunes, patatas bravas without sauce (much better), a vegetable tart and what proved to be the absolute winner in a great field, 2 portions of gambas gabardina, king prawn in a light beer batter (Spanish beer of course). My mouth is still watering just thinking about them.

Our waiter, Marco, was a delight and we left with reluctance. Delicious all round.

• Visited April 2013

Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
“overpriced and left hungry”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We visited this restaurant a few years back with friends and enjoyed it so re visited as a couple last night.
We love sharing platters,(plus easy option when just 2 of you at tapas)so opted for the Cheese sharing platter for 2 at £15.95 table de quesva or something. We added Prawns at £7 ish , bread and olive oil 90p each, with the view to add more later and a bottle of red £23, £19 option didn't seem available, bad luck or good selling, you decide!
5 Battered prawns came, nice, then a big round plate of cheese, four different cheeses, four segments of each, a couple of teaspoons full of relish and a drizzle of olive oil.
I actually got the giggles. no other veg or dips/breads you may expect in a sharing platter.
who eats that much cheese?
I asked the waiter if this was it and he said yes that was what we had ordered. He also said if we had asked him he would have recommended other things.
When something is on a menu as a sharing platter am I naive to think it will contain other things?.
They then brought us a small meal platter with 3 tomatoes on. I wondered if this would be free but it was actually £7.95.
I actually was so hungry I couldn't drink my wine.
If we had enjoyed it we would have added to it and had coffee and made a night of it.

I actually got upset as the bill was looming up in the £50s and we had to leave the cheese. it was offered wrapped up but where would we keep it, we were on holiday!

I managed to negotiate a slight reduction on the bill as we quietly explained how bizzarre the meal(?) was.
we could have had an Italian or lovely indian for the same amount, or just fish and chips and a pint. gutted
Hate wasting money and hate disappointment.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank ginny2010_11
Guangzhou, China
“Really nice”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Not the best tapas I've ever eaten, however the value was really good.
Came here for my birthday this year for an evening meal.
The selection was really good, all the dishes were lovely and servers were attentive.
The restaurant was also quite busy (at about 6.30-7pm) which meant that the atmosphere was great.
Would definately return and reccommend to anyone who wants to try something a little different.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Muppet333
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Worst tapas bar ever visited”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Well, what can we say. First indication should have been no one else in on a Saturday afternoon, second the dying flowers on the table and thirdly the menus all covered in old watermarks. The food was mediocre at best. The service was ok but not enough to make us return. Shame.

1 Thank alibali80
wakefield
“Nice Lunch”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We happened across the Barioja at lunchtime and were tempted in by the offer of 5 tapas for £10. We added a black pudding tapas to this and there was easily sufficient for the 2 of us.The quality of the food was good. Service was attentive.

• Visited March 2013