“It's my duty to warn you....”
Review of Smiths Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirkintilloch
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here a few years ago and thought it was bad - now it's terrible. When we first stayed, even though the hotel was run down, at least the staff were friendly and there was a cooked breakfast. Now the staff are bordering on surly and there is only what is laughingly described as a continental breakfast (a toaster, tired croissant, tepid water in a thermos to try and make tea etc etc). Other reviewers have stated the many faults with this hotel so I won't repeat them but I would like to add a few of my own: The walls of the rooms (which are tiny and overheated) are paper thin and in our room the bathroom of the adjoining bedroom was directly behind the headboard of our bed so we could hear every turn of the tap and flush of the toilet (and worse); corridor carpets unhoovered for weeks; non-existent security so drunks from the bar downstairs were free to wander the bedroom corridors, windows that wouldn't close properly. I could go on - and on - and on. Sadly this is the only hotel in Kirkintilloch (which is why we used it, although never again) but I would highly recommend that you stay elsewhere if possible.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank saabman00
Smiths1987, Manager at Smiths Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

I am replying to this review as I disagree with most of it due to some miss leading quotes in it. We have full time cleaners which clean the hotel top to bottom every day of the week, at the weekend we have door staff on our doors from 10pm and the hotel has over 18 CCTV Cameras and the stairs to the rooms are directly in front of the reception desk where there is always someone present. We do only offer continental breakfast to keep our prices low, but you can request a cooked breakfast at a further cost. Our continental breakfast is delivered fresh each day. We do admit there may be some noise from other rooms toilets flushing which can't be help, but the walls aren't paper thin. We are a reasonably priced hotel which delivers for the price we charge, our rooms are cleaned everyday, our whole hotel from the cellar, the restaurant, the bars and the function rooms are cleaned everyday, we offer good food at great prices and we currently have a very high occupancy level with a high level of repeat business with great feedback and satisfied customers. I am not on here to promote the hotel just to iron out some comments made which I believe are untrue and so do our many other customers.

There are newer reviews for Smiths Hotel

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Smiths hotel proved to be a great budget hotel as we toured round Scotland. The reception area and restaurant have been revamped and the team were happy to serve us till late despite us being the only group left in the bar. The room, whilst small, had everything we needed and was clean. For a one night stay smiths provided everything we needed at a good price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

our room was clean to be fair but the hotel is really just a night club and they do not want children
there.
on the first night we arrived to the restaurant to get some food for the kids and the security man said that it was too late...he was really rude.
we went to the Indian restaurant over the road.
There is no security for people in the hotel bedrooms really as all the corridors have young people wandering around. I would go to the Premier in in Stepps next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sheila j
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had our sons christening party here and it was fantastic, couldn't do enough for us! We had alot of people stay the weekend as we came from Doncaster. There is a late night pub next door which was bit loud during the night but apart from that it was great x

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stay quite frequently in this hotel as I visit the area on business and it is convenient for me. The rooms are on the 3rd floor which is quite a climb with two cases and no lift. There is also no air conditioning and the windows don’t open so it can be very warm. Some of the rooms are quite small and could be cleaner. I have always found the staff to be pleasant and courteous. I have eaten in the restaurant on a few occasions and have found the food to be fine. There are limited options for breakfast but again it is all that I need. Overall, the location is the key factor. Note that a new Italian restaurant (Nonnas) has opened a 2 minute walk away which is very good but a reservation is needed

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the skylight as you will be woken by very noisy seagulls
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I always write reviews of hotels I have stayed in and try to be honest and constructive.
On this occasion I am struggling to be constructive at all.
The hotel to look at is not attractive and the area looks very run down.
Reception is ok, carpets are in need of a good clean. The rooms are on the 3rd floor.
In the room I had to brush cigarette ash off the toilet to use it. The bedroom was small but clean, the quilts on the bed were like biscuits, washed to death and in need of replacing. The single bed was comfortable. the out look was onto a public car park with a pub below and the smell of cigarettes wafting up. we were out until late with friends but on our return the hotel entrance, bar and restaurant had turned into a club with people queuing around the hotel.
We walked to the front as we just wanted to get to our rooms, only to be accosted by the police for queue jumping. We then had to explain, showing our key as proof, then we had to go through a metal detector and asked our age (both 40+) before we could go in.
When we reached the room there was no water.....so we could not use the toilet, hand basin or shower. I tried to phone down but phone in room did not work so walked down into reception/Club and was told no water until next day.
In morning still no water and no sign of it coming on.
BReakfast - coffee tasted like gravy and was cold, Orange Juice was Fizzy and on the turn.
No one about to discuss problems with!
WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN........ I WOULD RATHER SLEEP IN THE CAR!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Martin9645
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We used to visit Smiths for meals regularly, hadnt been for a long time and decided to revisit last Saturday, although the restaurant is very pleasantly redecorated most of the staff have changed, Im afraid not for the better, it appears the restaurant is trying to be pretty classy in appearance but unfortunately the service food and manners of the staff dont match, we were approached at the door and asked had we booked a table, we said no could we have a table for three, the young girl looked at the bookings and was rudely interupted by another girl who said I will deal with this, perused the book herself (although the restaurant was pretty empty and was for the whole of our stay) I found it embarrasing for the young girl who was brushed aside, on ordering we had to ask what type of fish it was the waitress told us she didnt know and did we want her to ask ? when received the portion was pretty meagre for fish and chips, the hotpot was nice but we should have ordered a side dish our own fault but felt it would have been nice to have been asked. When I ordered a steak and asked for medium the answer was medium to well ! em no actually just medium thanks ! again the portion size was pretty meagre (more a slice of steak) the chips that came with it looked dark and were quite soft and soggy all in all tasteless. A sweet menu wasnt available, on a visit to the ladies there was no soap in the dispensers, there was small bars of soap obviously from the bedrooms lying opened and used by the general public, totally unaceptable, its a pity the toilets were not refurbished to the standard of the restaurant, the staff never approached us for any conversation what so ever, and even on leaving we were not asked if we enjoyed our meal or were given a friendly goodbye. Although the prices were very reasonable I would rather they put them up a pound or two for a decent size portion in fact my husband was still hungry and got a local takeaway afterwards. Im afraid Smiths we wont be back, I recommended my Neice to have her wedding there as our was, I think Im regretting that ! looks like the good old days of freindliness and quality have gone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TicketyBooGlasgow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkintilloch
Kincaid House Hotel
Kincaid House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Campsie
Best Western Garfield House Hotel
Halo Crowwood House Hotel
Glazert Country House Hotel
#89 of 93 in Glasgow
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Smiths Hotel? Share your experiences!